A&H

NEW MCI re-refereeing

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Really... VAR is making Jared go to the monitor to re-referee the game and... there it is... down to yellow.

I feel for him. Surely that was an easy decision. And not a C&O error. Easy justification for a red card. Force, point of contact, opportunity to play the ball, out of control - ding ding ding ding

I am more convinced than ever that VAR is a waste of time, space and money.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I think the opposite. Its a perfectly good use of VAR.
Point of contact is with Trippers side of the boot, no studs. Its reckless.

I’m happy that Gillett went red first of all as he obviously thought something warranted it but upon a better angle he changes his mind

Red or Yellow, I would have been able to agree with either I think. Definitely not a clear and obvious error though

I think the opposite. Its a perfectly good use of VAR.
Point of contact is with Trippers side of the boot, no studs. Its reckless.

I’m happy that Gillett went red first of all as he obviously thought something warranted it but upon a better angle he changes his mind
Don't disagree with that but I think it would be interesting to know why the VAR thinks Gillet was wrong? And had enough evidence to over turn the on-field decision?

Don't disagree with that but I think it would be interesting to know why the VAR thinks Gillet was wrong? And had enough evidence to over turn the on-field decision?
for all we know, Gillett or his team has said there is studs on leg contact which there clearly hasn't been. Its not a red card offence

Watching the game, but was out the room as the tackle happened, came in and saw the replay without seeing the little red bar at the top of the screen, I thought yellow on watching the replay. Its not excessive or dangerous imo, I think they came to the correct decision.

I've said many times before, I hate that kind of challenge. The ball was in a different postcode, and it wasn't just a little trip, rather Trippier has properly lunged at him. I feel for Gillett as in most other countries a red card for that wouldn't be questioned at all. From the amount of time he looked at it, and his body language after, he clearly didn't want to change his mind but it does appear they have been told they must always go with a VAR recommendation.

I'm afraid it is yet another example of the shambles of VAR in England, and it comes purely down to management rather than the match officials.

The question is not if we think it's red or we think it's yellow. It's not about if we think Gillett was wrong? It's about if he was clearly and obviously wrong.

Last week we had a hair pull ignored, this week we have this overturned. I'm with OP.

Pope holding the ball for 31 seconds near the end any no one from City complaining is something.
I complain every time a keeper catches a ball and then goes to their knees and lies on the ground. It’s the most blatant method of time waiting but it’s ignored all games at all levels.

Honestly I initially thought it was a RC. No attempt to play the ball, high.

Questionable use of VAR in my opinion. Only thing that I think could be that there wasn’t a ‘full’ impact with the studs and wasn’t endangering the opponent.

Definitely would be interested to see the rationale for the decision.

Last edited:
Back