A&H

Netherlands vs France

Gabriel

Serial whistler
Level 7 Referee
Anyone seen the subjective offside? Thoughts? I think correct but interested to see what others think.

A&H International
I think it has to be given. He's a yard away directly in the path of where the keeper would have dived.

That said, the keeper doesn't attempt a dive and probably doesn't get there anyway, so feels harsh.

Anyone seen the subjective offside? Thoughts? I think correct but interested to see what others think.

I thought as soon as the goal went in the Dutch attacker looked very close to the keeper and could be interfering.

The fact the keeper does not attempt to dive however means you can't be 100% sure he's interfering so I think disallowing the goal is harsh here. I think the referee should of looked at it on the screen and let him make his mind up.

Keeper wasnt looking at the player, had full sight of ball, looked to me like he thought it was going wide then got caught off guard. Coming from someone with french roots, theyve really been let off the hook there

I'm stuck on this one...

On one hand

He is not blocking line of vision, he is not challenging, he does not attempt to play the ball, nor does he make an obvious action,

Yet somehow, Offside still feels right, I just can't match the law to the decision.

I'm stuck on this one...

On one hand

He is not blocking line of vision, he is not challenging, he does not attempt to play the ball, nor does he make an obvious action,

Yet somehow, Offside still feels right, I just can't match the law to the decision.
making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

Him standing there prevents the keeper having the opportunity to play the ball. Obvious action...hmmmm

“Making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of the opponent to play the ball” - does being in the way of a keeper’s dive fall under that bit? I don’t think the keeper should have to dive into the player to get the decision.
What was the obvious action though?

What was the obvious action though?
I admit I don’t know - but if we don’t interpret it like that, implication is that a player can stand next to the keeper on the goalline and not be interfering even if the keeper dives right into him!

Under what reason are you ruling it out?
I think the keeper is impacted because the player is stood in the way of a potential dive.
Edit: I know the keeper didn’t obviously attempt a dive, but do we really want him to launch himself into someone?

Not for me. He's stood there, just like the keeper who barely moves so I don't see how he can be interfering.

Back