A&H

My Queries & Questions From 9 Months Of Reffing

Brian, it seems to be accepted that this type of throw-in is incorrect but I am never sure where this is supported in the laws as it doesn't seem to contravene any of the points laid out in the procedure. Could you explain why this should be penalised?
The description of the throwing action is that the ball is delivered from behind and over the player's head. It does not mention being delivered from in front of the player's head. Therefore when the ball has not been released when the arms are past the vertical, the procedure has not been delivered correctly.

Practically, it is a method of restarting the game and unless the incorrect procedure is very obvious, you would ignore most infringements.

The Referee Store
...when the ball has not been released when the arms are past the vertical, the procedure has not been delivered correctly.
Practically, it is a method of restarting the game and unless the incorrect procedure is very obvious, you would ignore most infringements.

I disagree about the arms not being allowed to pass the vertical, as I don't think that is what is being said in law 15 (the contentious word being "from"), and per discussions I've had with players/managers before, a "rubbish" throw-in is not necessarily a foul throw-in (but perhaps that is me ignoring most infringements - I tend to penalise feet more than arms).

[EDIT] Just seen this thread here talking foul throws - http://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/foul-throws.4216/#post-33666

The description of the throwing action is that the ball is delivered from behind and over the player's head.

I had always thought that that meant that the ball had to start behind the player's head and then had to pass over the player's head before it was released rather than that it had to be over the player's head when it was released. Thanks.

my take, McT, would be that if you could draw a line following the path of the ball in the players hands then it would describe a nice arc. if the direction of flow changes dramatically, as would be the case if it appears that the player has 'thrown it to the ground' then yes, a foul throw

too many players...as well as the occasional referee, seem to think that the ball should be released before the players arms reach 'twelve o'clock' above the players head, which is not the case....but which does account for a fair few cries of 'foul throw, ref'

Last edited:
It's because of the way it is worded. Delivers the ball from behind and over his head

Another one of them nuggets of received wisdom of wrongness which passes from mouth to mouth and remains wholey misunderstood.

a bit worrying when one of them's an assessor, mind
haywain, it's very difficult to convey exactly what is meant when describing the correct/incorrect action for a throw-in, ask the IFAB and FIFA, they've been trying for 150 years or so.

Perhaps if you weren't so busy making smart alec remarks you could make a positive contribution. At least I tried.

Lancashire Sunday League,team managers give you team sheets with corresponding numbers for the players,so in cases of refusal to give you their name i can just refer to the team sheet,but i always ask the name cause you never know.......

Lancashire Sunday League,team managers give you team sheets with corresponding numbers for the players,so in cases of refusal to give you their name i can just refer to the team sheet,but i always ask the name cause you never know.......

Indeed. I have team sheets too, but its usually for that exact reason.

I know, as a player, I played as many different pseudonyms.

Always frustrating when people scream "Liam" at me - and I have no idea why they're calling me that...

Back