A&H

My Queries & Questions From 9 Months Of Reffing

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
Morning All,

I may have mentioned in my previous “Welcome to the Forum” post, that I would compile some silly questions, that I don’t think would be covered in the rules (although they might be!) but I thought the anonymity of a forum would be the best place to ask.

When responding, if you could quote the question number you’re referring to so I don’t get confused :)

[Question1]
A player refers to a player on his same team, in high spirits, but refers to him as a [derogatory term for a homosexual]. This term, I find personally offensive. It wasn’t directed at me, but it would be offensive for anyone who heard it. I call the player across and tell him that that’s unacceptable and I consider that offensive language. I warn him that I don’t want to hear him say it again. Once I've walked away, his goalkeeper shouts at him “What was that all about?” and the player shouts across the field “He said I cant say the word [derogatory term for homosexual]”

My question, would you have sent him off on the first occurrence? Would you have sent him off on the second time of saying?

[Question2]
After putting the ball out for a player to receive treatment, the opposition throws (throw-in) the ball back to the goalkeeper – but on its way – a defender gives it an extra kick to make sure it makes it to the keeper.

The keeper picks the ball up – I blow for a backpass – the team take it quickly and score.

The goal stands? But is this just a matter of incredibly poor sportsmanship?

[Question3]
I seem to get a lot of players who walk off the pitch to get a bottle of water. Either when the goalkeeper is trying to dig the ball out of a bush etc, or sometimes, when the ball is in play. Now, my understanding is that leaving the field of play is a caution’able offence. However, every time I've addressed this sort of matter, I've almost had a mass confrontation on my hands. If I do this with U16-U18, the managers get irate and tend to go down the “Think of the children!” style approach. With adults, they just tend to laugh it off… Like nobody has ever attempted to reinforce this rule.

Where do people stand on this (I work at low level) and how do people handle this sort of thing?

[Question4]
How do you issue cards after the final whistle? I had a player approach me after a game (literally 30 seconds after the whistle) and gave me an earful, then called me “gutless”, which I took as offensive (including his body language and attitude). On a separate occasion, I overheard a youth player (U16) joking to his team – “He’s not even good enough to referee womens football”. Not only is that offensive, I found that to be massively sexist, especially considering how many leaps and bounds the Womens game has progressed in the last 2 years alone. (And I do referee womens football too).

I submitted a match report after each of these events, but should I have shown a card [yellow/red?] and as its after the final whistle – how do I do this? Do I call them over? Do I ask for their name? As the game has finished – are they under any obligation to come over – as they are packing up to leave – I can imagine they’d just walk off. Do I show them the card? Do I need witnesses to see/overhear what I'm doing?

[Question5]
I get a *LOT* of players asking me to stop play so they can tie their shoelaces – or “Ref, ref, we’ve got a player down – stop the play” – and I turn around and its someone doing a shoelace. My stance has always been that we don’t stop for shoelaces. True?

[Question6]
Should we only immediately stop play for head injuries – or can it be for serious (sounding) non-head injuries? Players shout at me (again) to “stop play” for an injury – most of the time, it doesn’t look serious – and I just shrug my shoulders and tell them that I cant demand the ball is kicked out of play. After I say this, they do tend to knock it out. Is this correct?

When I *do* stop the play mid-move, I reconvene with a drop ball, its 99% of the time uncontested and they just knock the ball back. Is this correct?

[Question7]
I warn the goalkeeper when he’s encroaching on the 6 second rule. If they are hanging around, I shout things like “That’s 6 seconds”, or “That’s your six”. This usually makes them move along. I've had mixed reviews to this. Some players tell me I cant do this. When I've given a couple of warnings, ill blow it if they go over the 6 – and this usually has questions from the manager such as “They usually get a warning”, to which ill explain I warned them twice already (but the manager wouldn’t have heard it – because I would have told it to the keeper).

Does the 6 second rule still apply? Am I in my right to give them a gentle reminder that they are taking too long?

[Question8]
I was told that shouting anything whilst a player is attempting to receive/control the ball is un-sportsman conduct, so they are about to trap it and someone shouts “Aaaargh”, or worse “Leave it” – when they are on the opposition side! Now, is this an offence – i.e. indirect/direct free kick? Can I stop play for this? If they continuously do it – can I card them for it *for* un-sportsman conduct?

Same goes for interfering with a freekick. They’ll stand on the ball, I tell them to retreat (which they’ll super-slow-motion do as to not break the rule[?]) but then they play the freekick (say a standard middle of the park long ball) the person slowly retreating jumps with their hands up. Even though theres no contact – are they allowed to jump with the arms up – or jump and wave sort of thing to try and distract them?

I'm of the ilk that that is all un-sportsman conduct and penalised by a freekick.

[Question9]
Obstruction is punishable by an indirect freekick – therefore, if someone steps across someones path to obstruct them in the penalty area… Is that a penalty or an indirect freekick? If they step across them and the player trips over them – that’s a trip – and more obviously a penalty. But if they are shielding but I consider it to have a step too far and is obstruction… is that an indirect freekick in the penalty area?

[Question10]
I seem to have massive beef with club assistants. Usually giving offside from halfway up the pitch – or just not following play (on mobile phones, chatting to mates etc etc). Can I tell the manager to switch assistant? If he’s only running the line because he’s the ONLY sub, so they don’t have any other options – how do I handle this? The other club gets to use a second person from their club to run both lines?

If they do flag (from wherever) and its too thin to call – do I go with their call (because I'm told you should always favour the defence in moments of 50/50)? Also, if I continuously overturn their decisions – the management seem to get really annoyed.

How do you handle terrible assistants?

[Question11]
Everyone seems to shout foul-throw after every single throw in. Whats an easy rule of thumb for throws? Both legs firmly planted at the time of the ball being released? Ball must be released before it passes 12 o’clock position?

Any simple/helpful systems/things to remember.

The Referee Store
Sil , you have far too much time on your hands

its gonna take me a day to read your post !!

a week to digest it !!

and Xmas till I type a reply !!

So .....I wont bother

Very good scenarios though ;)

Answers dependant on how much grief you wish to cause yourself in 90 mins :D

Answers dependant on how much grief you wish to cause yourself in 90 mins :D

I think we've established by my yellow card rate, that I obviously subconsciously try to avoid grief.

However, I definitely dont want to be mugged off, or celebrated as a 'super lenient ref' when they see it on the match card.

I want them to fear me. I want to earn the nickname "Iron Fist". Haha.

1: Minefield. Avoid. Unless it is directed at you then you're within your rights.

2: Another potential minefield. Points to consider. Cannot score directly from this free kick - goal kick if they do. Secondly, a quick free kick is guaranteed grief. Take the time to set it properly with the wall back etc. It's much better for overall control. They're already upset at making the mistake; by allowing the quick kick and possibly a goal you become a target.

3. "Stay on the field guys." "If you want water get someone to throw the bottles to you, just don't step off the pitch" usually work for me. After all if you've told them....

4. Cards after the game. If you're still on the pitch you can issue. If not it's reported as misconduct to the NFA. What I will say (and I'm responding to each question as I read it here) is that some of these remarks could be let go and ignored. Don't go looking for trouble. The Womens game may have moved on but still. It's a petty throwaway comment, probably uttered by an idiot. But at least you're not the twelfth/thirteenth/fifteenth best player in the team (think about it...)

5. Don't stop the play just for a lace. However if the ball is out of play and he starts/asks to tie his lace, what's the harm?

6. Any serious injury should be stopped for. Uncontested drop balls are fine - you only need one player.

7. No harm in telling him to speed it up. I can count the amount of times I've had to penalise on one hand however. Very very rare that it happens. I always say to myself "Zero" when he picks the ball up to begin a count.

8a. You can, although you must be sure that the opposition are definitely shouting, and are definitely trying to put him off. It might be a team-mate who wants a miss-pass or even a manager spectator.

8b. Slow retreat - tell him to speed it up and move away. If you have to tell the same player twice, then tell him the second time it will be yellow next time. He'll move.

8c. Jumping with the hands up. If it's handled it's a direct free kick, possibly a caution.

9. Impeding(obstruction) is an indirect free kick. However, "stepping across" covers a multitude of sins. Stepping in front and stopping dead when the ball is in play is impeding. Shielding the ball is fair if it's in playing distance. However if the step across is a charge/barge/shove then its a penalty/direct free kick.

10. Club ARs. Some cheat, some are useless, some are good. Take it as it comes, although you can judge things yourself. If it's tight, take the call. If you're 100% certain he's wrong and you are in a CREDIBLE position over-rule. Don't over-use the power to over-rule however. Some will turn to you and say what's the point of me being here? It's much easier to do it with them than without. Of course if you wanted you could limit them to ball in and out of play (this is customary in some counties)

11. I'll call a foul throw if the ball is dropped or spiked into the ground, or if a foot comes off the floor or completely over the line. Pick the easy ones. Don't go looking for hassle - it will find you anyway.

That is one mass mess of questions. Should probably be 11 seperate threads.

I'm still looking for the 'silly' question in that lot, silhouette.

Can't help thinking that you're offended by certain things but not above sexism in your choice of avatar ;)

1) you found his comment 'offensive' but didn't send him off....discuss

If you let him stay on the pitch the first time then, imho, you really have no choice but to let him stay on the second time even if, arguably, he was taking the p out of you by shouting it out to a team-mate

I don't agree with tealeaf's advice on this one

2) poor sportsmanship, perhaps, but, as long as goal scored wasn't direct, perfectly legitimate

Tealeaf's match control approach underlines the continuing debate between what constitutes either good match management and downright interference by the referee

Losing match control is an important consideration but not, imho, always a valid reason for punishing one team unfairly

3) never been an issue for me to date that i can remember. Tealeaf's approach sounds good to me.

4) As per tealeaf, if the player is still on the pitch, you can caution or sent off.

With your first example, you found it offensive so player should have been sent off. Ask for the player's name. If he/she gives it to you, write it down and tell them that you are sending them off. Your choice as to whether to show a red card or not, depending on the individual situation. Just make sure that player hears you.

If they refuse, get a shirt number. Ask manager or captain to identify player. If they help, great. If they don't then let them know that you'll be sending in a misconduct report, too.

Then, I'd suggest, you've done all you can

Be polite not pushy. Don't put yourself at risk just to get answers to those questions.

I'll answer these in batches.

Q1 On the first occasion I would have called the player over with his captain. I would have explained to the captain that the player just doesn't say that on your field. Tell him if he says it again, you will send him off. Tell him to tell his player what you have just said again. Tell the player again yourself. Next time he shouts it, send him off. DO NOT IGNORE

Q2 Shout to the goalkeeper that he should not pick up the ball. Once he picks up the ball, you slow the game down. You insist on a ceremonial restart. You allow for the wall to be formed. You walk it out 9.15m. You signal the restart with a blow of your whistle. In short, you control the situation.

Q3 If you see players heading to the touchline, shout to them to stay inside the white line. Shout to the manager and subs to get them some drinks and to hand them to the players on the field. If players leave the field, warn them to come back on or face a caution. if the manager says anything then tell him he should be ready to supply drinks at short notice. If it is a single player and he gives you grief then tell him to stay there until you give him permission to re-enter the field. Tell him you will caution him if he runs back on without permission. In short, you control the situation.

Q4 You only show cards if you are still on the field of play. You would go through the normal procedure of summoning the player, asking for the name and showing the card. If you have left the field and something happens for which you would should a card during the game, then you calmly note the incident in your notebook. Approach the player's manager, explain what has happened and advise him that you will be reporting the player for misconduct. You ask the manager for the player's name and if he refuses tell him you will have to include his act of refusal in your report. If he gives you the player's name, then report the player for misconduct and thank the manager for his help. If he refuses you report him as an unnamed player and name the team, if you don't know the manager's name. Do not embellish the report, just stick to the facts.

Q4 You only show cards if you are still on the field of play. You would go through the normal procedure of summoning the player, asking for the name and showing the card. If you have left the field and something happens for which you would should a card during the game, then you calmly note the incident in your notebook. Approach the player's manager, explain what has happened and advise him that you will be reporting the player for misconduct. You ask the manager for the player's name and if he refuses tell him you will have to include his act of refusal in your report. If he gives you the player's name, then report the player for misconduct and thank the manager for his help. If he refuses you report him as an unnamed player and name the team, if you don't know the manager's name. Do not embellish the report, just stick to the facts.

Just wondering how 'whole game' would cope with an un-named player? Anyone know the answer?

Just wondering how 'whole game' would cope with an un-named player? Anyone know the answer?
i though this the other day.... Also thought how would it cope with someone giving a false name. is there the capacity to type the name in yourself?? ive only ever selected players from the drop down list...

Yes you can type names in. It accepts them from there. As for no name either type a shirt number or report under the extraordinary incidents tab. Failing that use the old excel sheet and submit.

Can't help thinking that you're offended by certain things but not above sexism in your choice of avatar ;)
No sexism implied. Im all for female referees in the sport.

1) you found his comment 'offensive' but didn't send him off....discuss
Yes, I found it offensive, but theres also other words that I wouldnt (personally) find offensive, but would still send people off for. Thats my interpretation of the rule, is that would *anyone* find that offensive.

So in this instance, he shouted F****T across the field to a player on his team (jovily), personally, I despise that word and its connotations. However, if, even on the same team, someone had a pop, say for example at his own centre back and called him a N****R, I would still send him off, even though, im not black, and wouldnt be offended by that. If that makes sense.

However, in this instance, I felt I should give him the benefit of the doubt - but when he chose to say it again, I was already quite far away (but still head it), I dont quite know... I think I felt it would be undermined/thrown out, if id stopped the game again to walk back and send him off. This was pretty early on in my career too, so it might have been a moment of weakness/hesitation. But he didnt say it again during that game - and if anything, shouting it at his keeper would hopefully of made his listening team understand that I wasnt comfortable with 'name calling' even on the same team.

Losing match control is an important consideration but not, imho, always a valid reason for punishing one team unfairly
Yes, I think im 'taught' by years of MOTD, because every-inside-the-area-indirect-free-kick is a quick one in my opinion.

The keeper and the player who kicked it back to him were the biggest complainers, they said it shouldnt have stood because I didnt explain he couldnt pick it up!?

Another talking point: Players often shout at me "Can he pick it up" and when ive said "Yes/No", other teams complain and tell me I cant tell the players what to do. Is this correct? I appreciate I *can* tell the players what to do, because im the ref, but can I give advice? Its essentially the same as seeing his player in space and telling him to "Square it" or "play it down the wing" in my eyes? Discuss.

Be polite not pushy

Always.

I would have called the player over with his captain. I would have explained to the captain that the player just doesn't say that on your field. Tell him if he says it again, you will send him off. DO NOT IGNORE

Great advice. I know a lot of the games the captain will always come over when im talking to players, but I should be more proactive in calling him over when its a sensitive/potential sending off.

You insist on a ceremonial restart

No idea what that is. Is that like an uncontested drop ball? I.e. im just doing it for show.

You allow for the wall to be formed. You walk it out 9.15m

Random question that thats just made me think of, when I ref the U13-U16, they play on teeny-tiny-pitches... Ive never really thought about it, but how far should their walls be? Its a smaller pitch, with smaller goals and smaller players... Is it still 10 yards?

Shout to the manager and subs to get them some drinks and to hand them to the players on the field.

Follow up question, a player has been thrown a bottle, he's drinking from it and hasnt noticed play as restarted with a short goal kick, player comes with the ball up the wing - and the player, now realises that play is coming towards him, he challenges the player with the water bottle still in his hand.

Is there some sort of "foreign object" rule that says that cant have anything on the pitch.

The player went past him so there was no infringement, but I just had this feeling the guy was going to catch him with an arm/bottle and I would have been well out of knowledge in regard what to do!

Silhouette, the questioner that keep on giving :)

5) no true or false about shoelaces

Personally my stock response is, 'in your own time, player' and if I see someone hesitating over a throw-in, goal kick, whatever, because of it, I'll chivvy them along

Some of these guys clearly should never have attempted anything more complicated than velcro or slip-ons

6) your decision on what to stop play for. Err on the side of caution where kids are concerned, don't feel the need to explain that you can't make them kick the ball out of play and don't get too frustrated when you do stop play mid-flow and the player suddenly recovers

7) just shout 'hurry up, keeper' the first time, 'final warning the second time, then give an idfk the third time. Personally, I've never had to go beyond, 'hurry up, keeper'

If you feel that they're time wasting then you can consider a caution, too

8) just to add to tealeaf's 8b, if different players are standing over the ball, when you've had enough speak to the captain and tell him that your booking the next player who does it. They are supposed to stand 9.15 meters from the ball without you having to tell them every time

Arguably, if a player shouts to a team-mate to stand over the ball, you could book the player who shouted, for usb

Last edited:
5) Seems to happen less in higher division games where players will just tie their laces without bothering to ask you to stop the game etc

6) If it is not a head injury and there is nothing untoward that has happened - its nearly always cramp!

9) This is more complicated than at first glance. Impeding the progress of an opponent is an IDFK (no contact but an obvious and cynical movement to impede the attackers run) - in the penalty area it remains an IDFK rather than penalty kick but can still be seen as a DOGSO offence. However, if the defender runs across the attacker and uses his arms or body to stop the attackers run, that is now holding rather than impeding and is a direct fk/penalty offence. As for shielding (in the penalty area or otherwise) - this can be messy! Is the ball within playing distance of the shielding player? if yes then an over zealous attacker is likely to give away a freekick. If the ball is not within playing distance of the shielding player but he is still using his arms and body to stop the attacker moving past him... we all know what we should do, but how often do you see penalties given for this offence?

11) lol We all feel your pain here!

Arguably, if a player shouts to a team-mate to stand over the ball, you could book the player who shouted, for usb

I get that every single game... "Stand on it shag!", then I shout "Keep retreating" and they really slowly start moving backwards, but even if they're not 9.15metres away, they'll jump and try and block it... Which always makes me think "Please make contact - because then ill book you!"

But could the jump/arm waving be considered unsporting - as they've not retreated 9.15.

Same question for keepers really, people jumping or walking across the keepers path (unnaturally) to stop him kicking it quickly.

PS What does USB stand for.

PPS Dont say universal serial bus.

Im guessing "unsporting behaviour" - which would mean ive been calling it unsporting conduct incorrectly? Or is it just 6 of one?

The other week I had a lad standing over a free kick I told him to retreat. He did slowly, next time same thing he went about 4 yards then as it was taken he turned and jumped towards it arms in the air. The ball cleared him but I still blew up and booked him. He'd been warned and even though the ball didn't make contact with him the intent was there.

The keeper question I think is easily answered the other week by Chris Smalling on Joe Hart for doing exactly that.

USB is un sporting behaviour.

Q5 depends on the age of the player and the position of the player on the field. If the players are younger and the ball is out of play, there is a risk that the player will not take part in play when it restarts in which case the opponents have an advantage and if they utilise this to score a goal, your match control goes out the window. There is also the possibility at all ages, that the footwear will come lose and fall off, leaving you with a player out of the game. Regarding the position of the player, if he is in a goal area, tying hi lace, then you may want to wait a while. In open play, let the game carry on.

Q6 Only you can decide if you think an injury is serious or not. If the player is not moving, usually that means it is serious. If they are rolling about making a lot of noise, they might just be hurt. Generally speaking the younger they are, the more likely I am to stop the game if a player appears injures injured. If you stop the game, then the restart is a dropped ball subject to the requirements of Law 8. If you suspend play, ie the ball is already out of play, then you restart with the original restart, e.g. throw-in. If you have a dropped ball the players decide whether it is contested. All you can do is try to ensure it doesn't become a potential flashpoint.

Q7 There is no "6 second rule", it is part of Law 12 which deals with fouls and misconduct. Generally, warn the goalkeeper at least once, but do so in a manner that everyone can see and hear. Tat way if you do have to penalised shortly afterwards, no one is surprised if it is an idfk restart

Q8 The offence is distracting or deceiving an opponent. If you decide this has happened, the game is stopped and the offender is cautioned for unsporting behaviour. Because you stopped the game specifically to caution the offender, the restart is an idfk

Providing the player has respected the require distance, he commits no offence

Q9
There is no offence called obstruction. The offence is now known as impeding. It remains impeding until there is contact between the players. The player committing the offence of impeding must not be within playing distance of the ball. If a player prevents an opponent from playing the ball by placing their body between the opponent and the ball and is not within playing distance, then that is impeding and it is penalised by the award of an indirect free kick. Once there is contact the offence becomes holding and is penalised by the award of a direct free kick (or kick from the penalty mark depending on the circumstances)

Q10
If you are unhappy about the support from the Club AR you can ask for them to be changed at any point. There is no obligation on the part of a club to provide ARs except where required by the competition rules. If they fail to provide an AR, then you are usually required to report them to the competition organisers.

You are not obliged to accept the indication of an offence or the direction of a restart from any AR. It does however make it difficult to control the game if you are constantly justifying overruling the AR, as you have already found. You either work with them or work without them. That is, you accept their decisions, overrule their decisions and provide an explanation or you dispense with them.

Q11
Just tell the players to get on with it, unless the release of the ball is far too late and appears thrown down to the ground, one or both feet are clearly off the ground when the ball is released or the ball is not taken back behind the head before being thrown. The throw-ins are not foul throws but incorrectly taken throw-ins ( ;) Sundial)

Q7 There is no "6 second rule", it is part of Law 12 which deals with fouls and misconduct.

I know what you mean Brian but just to clarify for people who may think that "6 seconds" is part of the alternative universe of made up rules that seem to arise, part of the guidance for Law 12 states:
Offences committed by goalkeepers: A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands for more than six seconds.

unless the release of the ball is far too late and appears thrown down to the ground

Brian, it seems to be accepted that this type of throw-in is incorrect but I am never sure where this is supported in the laws as it doesn't seem to contravene any of the points laid out in the procedure. Could you explain why this should be penalised?

Back