A&H

My first open age middle!

JoeMaloney5

Level 7 Referee
So on Saturday I'm in the middle for my first adults game (AKA oa) it's 3rd vs bottom with the team in 3rd needing 3 points to get into a promotion place. Not that this will at all change my mindset going into the game but I thought it would be useful context. So any advice bearing in mind I'm 17 so I will most likely be the youngest there!! Any advice much appreciated.

The Referee Store
Don’t be influenced by their calls or their friendliness.
Don’t be afraid of them. They try to intimidate refs a lot of the time; if you show you can’t be intimidated then they’ll calm (a little).

1. Referee with a smile on your face. Look like you're enjoying it - even if you're not. ;)

2. Deal with dissent early on. :cool:

3. Anything you get wrong - don't dwell on it. Put it aside for after the match and re-focus. :)

Oh and good luck Joe. :)

1. Referee with a smile on your face. Look like you're enjoying it - even if you're not. ;)

2. Deal with dissent early on. :cool:

3. Anything you get wrong - don't dwell on it. Put it aside for after the match and re-focus. :)

Oh and good luck Joe. :)
Nice advice thanks

Enjoy yourself.
It’s very different to youth.
Lay down the law, be fair and firm and they’ll respect that.
Start with the kit inspection. Have a joke with them etc.
Kit inspection is usually your first chance to put some authority down on so use it well.
Speak to them in a friendly but authoritative way.
Have a great one. Make sure you post about how it went.

Enjoy yourself.
It’s very different to youth.
Lay down the law, be fair and firm and they’ll respect that.
Start with the kit inspection. Have a joke with them etc.
Kit inspection is usually your first chance to put some authority down on so use it well.
Speak to them in a friendly but authoritative way.
Have a great one. Make sure you post about how it went.
Will do mate

The fact that you are the youngest shouldn't even come to your mind. You are the boss. End of. Just keep in mind no one likes a boss who is a d**k. Or one who doesn't take charge. Everyone likes a boss who is firm but fair even if they don't admit it.

Have a read on a few similar threads, there’s some decent advice out there if you look hard enough.

We’ve all been there, we’ve all messed up, we’ve all wished games would end early.

Well that was fun and interesting.

I get to pitch and straight away the away coach says ref how old are you because no offence you don't look old enough to ref my lads?

Game was going great a few yellows here and there but nothing major we were in 91st minute 5 yellows had been handed out then a goal is scored to make it 2 2 I point to centre and jot down score BUT THEN... I hear the gk who has just conceded scream in pain I look up he is chasing the opponents St and he violent throws the ball right off the back of the St head and attempt to punch him then all players get involved at this point I'm on the whistle blowing and blowing the away coach comes on pitch and gets in my face and says I'm not controlling the game all the while the mass confrontation us still going on I give a few more blows it calms and I bring GK and ST in. I give GK a red and ST a yellow well the team who's GK I've sent off go mad and scream at me to send the opponents St off not just a yellow I explain I didn't see the alleged stamp the gk was claiming I only heard the gk scream.

After the game as we Kicked off and played a further 30 secs and the away coach was livid that I sent his gk off he approached me on the pitch after the game and said that I should control games better or not ref in their league (the it was such a nice game til 91st min)

I get half my money from home team no trouble but the away team coach decides to chuck his half at me forcing me to pick it up.

Overall I really enjoyed it and I asked fix sec for more If possible and he's appointed me up until January

you can only give what you see and sounds like a thankless task at the brawl

I can only advise from the post not to get book out at the scoring of a goal until everything is good in the Garden of Eden, you might, just might, have picked up what actually happened?

Good to read that collecting the match fee at the end went well though, as its what other refs do and you don't want to stand out
instead you stood bent over picking up pennies. A far better outcome than collecting it pre match I dare say........

am pleased to read the collecting match fee at the end went well too.
I didn't see a stamp but it's one of those were action needs to be taken against both so I put yellow for St down as adopting aggressive attitude

Well that was fun and interesting.

I get to pitch and straight away the away coach says ref how old are you because no offence you don't look old enough to ref my lads?

Game was going great a few yellows here and there but nothing major we were in 91st minute 5 yellows had been handed out then a goal is scored to make it 2 2 I point to centre and jot down score BUT THEN... I hear the gk who has just conceded scream in pain I look up he is chasing the opponents St and he violent throws the ball right off the back of the St head and attempt to punch him then all players get involved at this point I'm on the whistle blowing and blowing the away coach comes on pitch and gets in my face and says I'm not controlling the game all the while the mass confrontation us still going on I give a few more blows it calms and I bring GK and ST in. I give GK a red and ST a yellow well the team who's GK I've sent off go mad and scream at me to send the opponents St off not just a yellow I explain I didn't see the alleged stamp the gk was claiming I only heard the gk scream.

After the game as we Kicked off and played a further 30 secs and the away coach was livid that I sent his gk off he approached me on the pitch after the game and said that I should control games better or not ref in their league (the it was such a nice game til 91st min)

I get half my money from home team no trouble but the away team coach decides to chuck his half at me forcing me to pick it up.

Overall I really enjoyed it and I asked fix sec for more If possible and he's appointed me up until January
Franklands v Belmarsh again?
On a serious note, don't worry about marking the score down until the players are ready to KO
Fracas are most likely just after a goal, especially late in the game

Franklands v Belmarsh again?
On a serious note, don't worry about marking the score down until the players are ready to KO
Fracas are most likely just after a goal, especially late in the game
Yh probably should wait abit

I can only advise from the post not to get book out at the scoring of a goal until everything is good in the Garden of Eden, you might, just might, have picked up what actually happened?

Good to read that collecting the match fee at the end went well though, as its what other refs do and you don't want to stand out
instead you stood bent over picking up pennies. A far better outcome than collecting it pre match I dare say........
Agreed. If he'd demanded the money pre-match where league rules say to do so after, he probably would have annoyed the manager 90 minutes earlier...

I mean absolute no offence by this but I don't get why yous two are having a go at me I collected my fee after the game like the all the refs up here do

Last edited:
Perfect scenario to REPORT!!!!

@JoeMaloney5
So every game you do is a game you can learn from. Did you do a self assessment on the way home or when you got home. What things did you think you could have done better?

I personally don’t mind when I get paid. Sometimes it’s offered up before the match but most of the time it’s paid after.
If a manager refused to pay I’d just say ok and leave. I’ll get my money anyway.
It doesn’t need to be made into a big deal as clubs get fined etc if they don’t pay you.
Not seeing the stamp (if there was one) is just one of those things. Don’t get caught up on it.

If a manager had thrown money down for me I would tell him I’m not picking it up.

If you think they treated you badly because of your age then you should speak to county about this, get some support and get out there again ASAP.

Back