A&H

Mutton dressed as lamb

Anubis

RefChat Addict
Cracking advantage and signal by Taylor yesterday at the halfway line for Newcastles goal .

Which would have been even better had there been a foul to signal for!

Experience, clever, and one for ambitious new refs to try if looking to impress,

The Referee Store
Attempting to trip is a foul so he could claim he did play advantage correctly.
I do get your point though, those are never called a foul at that level even if Newcastle lost the ball.

Attempting to trip is a foul so he could claim he did play advantage correctly.
I do get your point though, those are never called a foul at that level even if Newcastle lost the ball.

the second point is correct, that would never have been a foul regardless

not slating him for signalling advantage, its a sly pointer to new or ambitious referees who might be looking get a wee extra tick in the observors book

did it myself yesterday, ball maybe handled on the six by defender, loud appeals for pk, i was not giving anything, ball then slammed into net by striker, i then signalled advantage and roundly got complimented!

I would shout "play on" if there was any hint of a foul but the player came away with the ball. It's non-committal as to whether you thought it wasn't a foul or it was and you were playing advantage. (Do players ever look to see if you're using the advantage signal?)

But then I was never looking for promotion so no need to impress anyone.

There should be an "advantage of the month" TV award though.

a sly pointer to new or ambitious referees who might be looking get a wee extra tick in the observors book

did it myself yesterday, ball maybe handled on the six by defender, loud appeals for pk, i was not giving anything, ball then slammed into net by striker, i then signalled advantage and roundly got complimented!
Risky even suggesting you're giving advantage for a PK though - and a good assessor would pick that up. At worst, it looks like you were undecided and the outcome made the decision easy in the end (which we've all done - but not necessarily conspiratorially!).

Risky even suggesting you're giving advantage for a PK though - and a good assessor would pick that up. At worst, it looks like you were undecided and the outcome made the decision easy in the end (which we've all done - but not necessarily conspiratorially!).

Not true in the slighest.
The chain of events should be, offence/potential offence, the offended team indeed gain an advantage, signal to show all and sundry you have acknowledged offence but indeed have allowed offended team to carry on to their advantage
The offended team slamming the ball home less than a second after the potential handball means you have not lept in with the call, merely waited and seen ,
Potential penalty incident now null and void,

we should not signalling advantage until the advantage accrues, on any advantage call, thus negating the even more undecided messy signal of signalling advantage, then realising its not paid off and having to come back for the foul afterall.
It is this that leads to the " awww ref you shouted advantage" etc.

a good assessor wishes to see the referee utilising the tools available to effectively manage the game as a whole.

Assessors have said to shout advantage - to show you saw it - and then bring it back if nothing accrues......

Fair to say I don't do that though....

Assessors have said to shout advantage - to show you saw it - and then bring it back if nothing accrues......

Fair to say I don't do that though....

shouting advantage, when their is no advantage?

the advantage can only be an advantage when it becomes an advantage!

until it becomes an advantage, its merely a play on from a potential offence

shouting advantage, when their is no advantage?

the advantage can only be an advantage when it becomes an advantage!

until it becomes an advantage, its merely a play on from a potential offence
I'd disagree. The foul has already been committed. It's been noted by the advantage shout. If the advantage doesn't properly accrue, then it's brought back for the foul.

I'd disagree. The foul has already been committed. It's been noted by the advantage shout. If the advantage doesn't properly accrue, then it's brought back for the foul.

if the advantage does not accrue, its not an advantage,.

you seem to be acknowledging the foul, but there is no advantage until there is an advantage, merely a play on.

as with lots of things might be taught best practise by diferent coaches in different areas. We try avoid signalling or shouting advantage, until there is an advantage, rather than the perceived messy option of signalling advantage then realising there was none and pulling it back.
" you played advantage ref
' giving them two gos at it ref"

as well as mimicking rugby where crowd and players can see you are going to pull it back, its just a case of when, leaving the laws, ' at that time' and ' few seconds' stretchier than they already are

i was certainly taught and with best intentions practise not signalling advantage until there is the advantage, disclaimer other folk might have learnt different

we dont shout, offside! before there is an offside, or goal
so follows suit not to shout advantage until there is an advantage ( not a potential advantage)

Last edited:
if the advantage does not accrue, its not an advantage,.

you seem to be acknowledging the foul, but there is no advantage until there is an advantage, merely a play on.

as with lots of things might be taught best practise by diferent coaches in different areas. We try avoid signalling or shouting advantage, until there is an advantage, rather than the perceived messy option of signalling advantage then realising there was none and pulling it back.
" you played advantage ref
' giving them two gos at it ref"

as well as mimicking rugby where crowd and players can see you are going to pull it back, its just a case of when, leaving the laws, ' at that time' and ' few seconds' stretchier than they already are

i was certainly taught and with best intentions practise not signalling advantage until there is the advantage, disclaimer other folk might have learnt different

we dont shout, offside! before there is an offside, or goal
so follows suit not to shout advantage until there is an advantage ( not a potential advantage)

i dont disagree with this at all, and it's what i do, but i think i was tought and mentored for level 4 or 5 and below to shout play on advantage immediately, not once the advantage has actually accrued - i mean it makes no sense to say it before (as you say) so i've never done so despite the guidance.

@lincs22 may be able to confirm whether i'm making this up or not!

I distinctly remember one exercise on the course when I requalified 2 years ago, that was initially to shout advantage and run for 20 yds with arms outstretched. The second part was to do the same but then blow up and shout no advantage and then go back to the free kick.

This process always was at odds with the maxim of giving yourself time to think and now I do as anubis does and waits.

I suspect the teachers are taught a particular way but in practice things are done slightly differently. I'm never going for promotion though and will rarely be seen by other referees so I'll put a disclaimer on my comments.

I saw a ref the other week put himself between two players and forcibly push one back in the chest. I thought he should give himself at least a yc for AAA and I don't remember that technique being taught or encouraged. Rather the opposite in fact.

I'd not be "waiting to see" nor playing advantage whenever there is foul in the penalty area - did that once, attacking player fluffed his lines and the chance had gone. Not just giving the penalty like I should have done caused me no end of grief for the rest of the half.
Not a mistake I'll make again unless I can see the ball rolling into the net ... 😉

i dont disagree with this at all, and it's what i do, but i think i was tought and mentored for level 4 or 5 and below to shout play on advantage immediately, not once the advantage has actually accrued - i mean it makes no sense to say it before (as you say) so i've never done so despite the guidance.

@lincs22 may be able to confirm whether i'm making this up or not!
Whilst a different neck of the woods I know there is a school of thought that by signalling and shouting advantage you have acknowledged the foul and reduced the chances of fouled player taking their own action...

I'd not be "waiting to see" nor playing advantage whenever there is foul in the penalty area - did that once, attacking player fluffed his lines and the chance had gone. Not just giving the penalty like I should have done caused me no end of grief for the rest of the half.
Not a mistake I'll make again unless I can see the ball rolling into the net ... 😉
Could just have easily gone the other way though... Maytey smashes in a goal and his pal skies the penalty. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Whilst a different neck of the woods I know there is a school of thought that by signalling and shouting advantage you have acknowledged the foul and reduced the chances of fouled player taking their own action...

makes sense for sure

In my first ever game there was a handball by a defender in the box, everyone screams 'handball' I blow the whistle and the ball goes in the net. I have not made that mistake since.

In practice I like to let players know I've seen the foul even before I'm sure I won't bring it back. It prevents the odd player getting himself into the book screaming for a decision I was going to give anyway.

It's the expectation in England at L4 and below, you should signal advantage immediately and then pull it back at necessary. The argument for this, as has already been said, is it may reduce the potential for retaliation as the fouled player knows you have seen it as opposed to thinking it has just been missed.

At L3 it completely changes and you are expected to only signal after advantage has accrued, and this caused me a huge problem when I was promoted to that level. If you have been doing something for many years it is extremely difficult to change it overnight

I'm calling advantage immediately.
Reduces the chance of retaliation and reduces the chance of any dissent when they think you've missed the clear foul.

Back