A&H

Mouthy Parents

If you have an issue with spectators then that is a matter for the home team to deal with.
This can vary in some places. At least in the US, it is not uncommon in youth leagues for each team to be responsible for their own spectators. This definitely is good from a reducing confrontation perspective, so the home coach isn't the one kicking out a parent from the other team.

The Referee Store
In most our competition rules each team has to appoint a yellow vested crowd control (steward) who can't be inside the roped or fenced area but whose name is known, can be identified and approached by the referee. Out referees are tiled not start a games without identifying them. This is more critical for our junior referees.

There is also supposed to be (most time there isn't) an orange vested ground control who is superior to both stewards.

It's always worth familiarising yourself with the competition rules in respect of the managers responsibilities and in particular in regards to each line. Every youth league I've officiated in or coached in make it very clear that it is up to the manager to manage their respective line and there are fines if they don't. Sometimes managers need to be reminded of that when they are ignoring an abusive parent.

A line I often use during youth games if I get an unruly parent/spectator is to simply say to the manager, I'm here to referee the children, not the adults, can you sort please.

I once told a player to f**k off at Sunday league level. He deserved it but he wasn't best pleased. Not done it again!
Been there--more than once. Some players actually respond really well to it but every once in a while you get that one who just wants to make your life harder. I've found that the best thing to do is to not use that kind of language until you have a decent rapport with the player.

Been there--more than once. Some players actually respond really well to it but every once in a while you get that one who just wants to make your life harder. I've found that the best thing to do is to not use that kind of language until you have a decent rapport with the player.

no you're absolutely right and i was embarrassed by what i said and the way i said it and apoliogised after the game.

plenty of times i'll respond to a player with 'are you having a f*cking laugh' or 'stop taking the piss' etc. but you're right, needs to be in the right context and temperature to work

no you're absolutely right and i was embarrassed by what i said and the way i said it and apoliogised after the game.

plenty of times i'll respond to a player with 'are you having a f*cking laugh' or 'stop taking the piss' etc. but you're right, needs to be in the right context and temperature to work

Have you ever heard NHL refs talk to players? It's absolutely nuts. I've been close. One time said "For f**k's sake, John, you've done nothing but b***h all game. Are you going to play at all?" It wasn't taken too well.

Have you ever heard NHL refs talk to players? It's absolutely nuts. I've been close. One time said "For f**k's sake, John, you've done nothing but b***h all game. Are you going to play at all?" It wasn't taken too well.

not seen anything like that but i love nhl and have seen some videos on youtube with them miced up which were very interesting

Back