A&H

Minutes silence for Chapecoense

joe cunningham

Will anybody be holding a minutes silence this week/end for everyone involved in the Chapecoense plane crash? Got asked by a friend today if I would be doing one, hadn't really thought of it tbh until he mentioned it.

The Referee Store
General rule is that I'll do one for any reason if I'm asked to by the league or either side pre-match. So I've held minutes silences when asked for club and league officials before and they're always well observed, even when it's one club's official and the other club has no connection to them.

But having said that, I don't feel it's my place to enforce a silence if neither club is asking for it to happen. I'd be prepared for the league or club to request one, but it's your call if you want to ask for it if no one else asks you.

I've not seen anything about this from either of the leagues that I'll be officiating on at the weekend, but if any of the teams ask then I'd be more than happy to oblige as long as everyone is happy with it.

CycYRVgXgAIo9In.jpg

I had a discussion 4-5 weeks ago with a family member in the USA who was an avid follower of Man Utd. They were away somewhere in Turkey that night. The discussion touched on the number of games on that week in Europe making teams fly thousands of miles north, east, south, west etc. He obviously knew of Munich and the conversation talked about one day I feared that a major sports team would be killed en masse. Obviously this incident isn't a major European football team (but equally sad for all involved) but just shows how we rely on technology and business flight more and more these days and when it goes wrong it goes horribly wrong... RIP...

Seen on fb that many professional clubs have already held their own minute silence prior to training sessions. Chances are given the various events that have happened around the world in recent years that football has paid their respects to prior to matches that the Premier & Football Leagues will hold minute silences this weekend.

It remains to be seen if this officially filters down the football pyramid to grassroots level, but as others have said even if there isn't a request/directive from above, clubs may take it upon themselves to do so anyway.

Tragic, RIP guys!

Back