A&H

Merseyside Derby

The Referee Store
Even Carragher has admitted it was "stonewall", quite surprising for him considering how unashamedly biased he is towards Liverpool. Was eating dinner when the incident occurred live, did VAR look at it? Judging by the replays, looks fairly "clear and obvious". Ridiculous dive by Gordon in the first half though, which was rightly punished.

Not convinced Mane's actions constitute violent conduct, but still a stupid thing to do.

I think it is a penalty, but not enough of a clear and obvious error for VAR to get involved. Anthony Gordon probably hasn't helped his cause with the ridiculous dive in the first half for which he was rightly cautioned.

Mane was lucky as he could have got two cautions in the melee, one for pushing Holgate in the face and the other for appearing to stick his finger up Mane's nose. Don't think either were enough for red through, and VAR can't get involved in yellows.

I worried for Stuart Attwell at the end of the first half as he looked a bit startled at what was happening, but he's ended up coming out with a very good performance in a difficult game.

I think in both cases the player has gone down with the slightest touch. Gordon for all the good that he does just dived at the faintest touch all game and the referee was very kind in not sending him off.

And Richalison should have gone late on but the refereee felt there was enough punishment losing 2-0 with only 17% possession..

Try very hard not to be biased..

Atwell did something bizarre when he put whistle to lips at the Matip pen.

I thought a pen would have been fine.
Mane YC was enough - negligible force.
Richardson reminded of Beckham. VC RC OK but YC OK.

Everton did themselves no favours with thf diving.

But Atwell did lose the game when he left Richarlison on the floor. That was not smart!

I think in both cases the player has gone down with the slightest touch. Gordon for all the good that he does just dived at the faintest touch all game and the referee was very kind in not sending him off.
The second one he was moving at pace and was very clearly pushed, if someone pushed you at that speed you are almost always going to fall over. It most definitely wasn't simulation.

Atwell did something bizarre when he put whistle to lips at the Matip pen.

I thought a pen would have been fine.
Mane YC was enough - negligible force.
Richardson reminded of Beckham. VC RC OK but YC OK.

Everton did themselves no favours with thf diving.

But Atwell did lose the game when he left Richarlison on the floor. That was not smart!
I thought that initially with the whistle, but I think he was telling them to wait because VAR had spoken to him, but then they told him no penalty so he blew for the goal kick.

The difference to the Beckham one was Richarlison's studs were already touching Henderson's leg following the challenge, he's then pushed him away. Not seeing VC there.

Not sure what else he could have done with Richarlison. Until that point he had already spent more time on the floor than the ball, and had Attwell stopped it for what wasn't a head injury, and fairly clearly wasn't an injury at all, he'd have had Liverpool players in his face. He is clearly a talented player, but his antics are beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:
Not sure what else he could have done with Richarlison. Until that point he had already spent more time on the floor than the ball, and had Attwell stopped it for what wasn't a head injury, and fairly clearly wasn't an injury at all, he'd have had Liverpool players in his face. He is clearly a talented player, but his antics are beyond ridiculous.
It would have been unpopular but I think Atwell needed to stop the game when the ball was in liverpools possession on half way. I know Richarlison spent more time on the floor crying than playing football and had nobody’s sympathy, but we could all see the Everton midfield charging around like headless chickens to leave one on the first Liverpool player they could get close to and that would always causes a flare up

It would have been unpopular but I think Atwell needed to stop the game when the ball was in liverpools possession on half way. I know Richarlison spent more time on the floor crying than playing football and had nobody’s sympathy, but we could all see the Everton midfield charging around like headless chickens to leave one on the first Liverpool player they could get close to and that would always causes a flare up
Tough luck I'm afraid, if a player gets themselves in trouble because of one of their team mate's constant play acting then they can take it up with him. It is cheating, plain and simple, and this wasn't an isolated incident, he does it every single game. To stop play is just encouraging his behaviour as he is trying to get play stopped by feigning injury.

Tough luck I'm afraid, if a player gets themselves in trouble because of one of their team mate's constant play acting then they can take it up with him. It is cheating, plain and simple, and this wasn't an isolated incident, he does it every single game. To stop play is just encouraging his behaviour as he is trying to get play stopped by feigning injury.
I’m not condoning the actions, or even the actions of the Everton player putting a challenge in either, but the flare up was avoidable and could have well resulted in a Liverpool (Mane) red card as much as an Everton one. Also on reflection of the replay, Richarlison did actually roll his ankle so could have been a legitimate injury. Obviously there’s the ‘crying wolf’ argument but as I say, the flare up could have had a much bigger impact than simply getting an earache from a few Liverpool players for stopping the game in a neutral area

Didn't the Liverpool keeper have the ball at one point while a player was down injured for ages? Higher refs than me (ime) bang on about safe refereeing yet we don't see a simple way of it at the highest levels.

So simple to manage.

The difference to the Beckham one was Richarlison's studs were already touching Henderson's leg following the challenge, he's then pushed him away. Not seeing SFP there.
You mean violent conduct right?

I didn't watch the entire match, but it felt like Attwell was trying to ref a big one like he was Taylor or Oliver but we saw he didn't quite have the gravitas to pull it off.

What's shocking is that Everton should have had a penalty against City and one against Liverpool. The what if, is that Everton could possibly have four more points than they currently have and be in a more favourable position. Was today a case of VAR evening itself out at the top of the table?

The second one he was moving at pace and was very clearly pushed, if someone pushed you at that speed you are almost always going to fall over. It most definitely wasn't simulation.
Well I thought if you watch it - he moves across into the path of Matip and starts to go down causing Matip to have to juggle his feet and lose his balance. Gordon is an exceptional young players and probably deserves to be playing on a higher stage than Everton can ever give him but he needs to cut out this acting.

What's shocking is that Everton should have had a penalty against City and one against Liverpool. The what if, is that Everton could possibly have four more points than they currently have and be in a more favourable position. Was today a case of VAR evening itself out at the top of the table?
How do you get four points? Even if Everton had got the penalty there is no guarantee they would have scored it and of course Liverpool scored 2 so they would have still lost. One more point would still have them in the bottom 3.

If the striker had scored instead of hitting it wide
If the gk had pushed it wide instead of bk into the path of the striker
Despite the tech avail, its still humans out there, both playing and officiating.

The team with most points over course of season, win league
The three? with the least, over course of the season, go down

its really that simple

Back