A&H

Merseyside Derby

Dont know why you would do that, or think you should?

You only add time on for significant delay to a restart like a goal celebration. Juniour don't tend to go mad.

Where have you got 30 seconds a goal from?
It’s just a general phrase. Apologies if this was interpreted as me saying you should add 30 seconds for every goal scored. I can safely say I never have, in fact I can’t recall a proper big celebration in a junior game I’ve refereed (I’ve seen it before as a spectator)

The Referee Store
The art of football. This is one of those unwritten things. If there's a 0-0 late goal, then time gets added on. In a draw or one goal difference the referee is stricter about added time for stoppages, including dithering in added time, and additional stoppages in added time. If there's a clear leader by 2 or more goals, then it's minimum added time and the bar for adding more is very high.

This is one of the things where the referee is responsible for the spectacle. Just like allowing defensive free kicks or offside free kicks to be taken from the wrong place. It's part of the art of football. And part of the culture of football that helps generate so many column inches;)

The art of football. This is one of those unwritten things. If there's a 0-0 late goal, then time gets added on. In a draw or one goal difference the referee is stricter about added time for stoppages, including dithering in added time, and additional stoppages in added time. If there's a clear leader by 2 or more goals, then it's minimum added time and the bar for adding more is very high.

This is one of the things where the referee is responsible for the spectacle. Just like allowing defensive free kicks or offside free kicks to be taken from the wrong place. It's part of the art of football. And part of the culture of football that helps generate so many column inches;)
And the finer are art is that even at a drawn game if one or both teams are desperate for a win (eg for the title) you still add time as appropriate with a 'standard' bar.

30 seconds a sub has certainly been bandied about. Not 30 seconds per goal. A team making a comeback is unlikely to spend time celebrating, but if a team takes 30 seconds to celebrate, add 30 seconds (or if the defending team takes a lot longer than needed to restart).
This.

Although as you say 30 second for each sub is often "bandied about" there's nothing in the law that says, or even hints at that. It's another refereeing myth as far as I'm concerned.

The law simply says that "Allowance is made by the referee [...] for all playing time lost ..."

The word "playing" was just added this year, making it clear that if the ball was already out of play (and for instance if the substitution is made during what would have been a stoppage of the same length anyway) you don't necessarily have to make any allowance at all.

You may not see it too much at the professional level but in youth games with unlimited rolling subs, I've seen substitutions (sometimes of multiple players) that didn't use up hardly any playing time at all.

So for me, the idea that you add 30 seconds for each and every substitution, no matter what, is just not supported in law.

Last edited:
Football really doesn't do itself any favours with continuing to turn a blind eye to the gamesmanship, playacting and blatant timewasting. Yes Richarlison was an idiot for most of the game and pushing Henderson's leg away with his already connected foot wasn't clever, but you don't need to be a surgeon to know it didn't warrant Henderson reacting like he had just been on the receiving end of Kathy Bates' sledgehammer!

I for one would love to see a crack down keepers abusing the 6 second law, but sadly know it's highly unlikely to ever happen as the powers that be are weak. Pickford is by far one of the worst offenders and isn't even discreet about it. I have seen games where he has held the ball in his hands for circa 15 to 20 seconds, without hint of a hurry from the referee. Over the course of the game, could potentially account for 4 to 5 minutes depending how busy he is. On top of that, there's the 30 seconds to a minute it takes for a goal kick to be taken through repositioning the ball 6 inches and waving hands at defenders. I hear a lot that at the highest levels referee is about managing the show, well there's not much of a show when both teams are taking the proverbial and as much as 15/20 minutes a game is lost waiting for keepers to get on with it! :mad:

30 seconds a sub has certainly been bandied about. Not 30 seconds per goal. A team making a comeback is unlikely to spend time celebrating, but if a team takes 30 seconds to celebrate, add 30 seconds (or if the defending team takes a lot longer than needed to restart).
In Hockey as soon as a goal is cored a big 30 second countdown clock appears, kick off takes place once the clock reaches 0 - but hey this is football, why make it simple?! :rolleyes:

'Amusingly' at the end of a recent Isthmian U23s game I was AR on, the referee was asked (seriously) " Did you HAVE to play 90 minutes?" by the losing team captain/player/manager :rolleyes:

If the striker had scored instead of hitting it wide
If the gk had pushed it wide instead of bk into the path of the striker
Despite the tech avail, its still humans out there, both playing and officiating.

The team with most points over course of season, win league
The three? with the least, over course of the season, go down

its really that simple
I get that, I don't support a PL team, so I don't have a biased agenda. Like you pointed out they are all human and the pressure is intense for all.

Back