A&H

McTominay on Son

Did McTominay foul Son?

• Total voters
First things first, refereeing is becoming impossible because of the behaviour of players. Had Son not flung himself to the flaw after the slightest of touches there would have been no decision to make, and similar things were happening all through the game (and every other game for that matter). Yes one again it is the officials that are getting the blame, whereas the blatant cheating of players is barely getting a mention.

Whatever decision was made one side would have been outraged, and I can see both arguments.

Spot on.

The Referee Store
Careless foul
No concern of VAR
CK looked like he was being pulled all over the shop in this game. VAR disrupted his MC IMHO

For transparency, I am a United fan....
My view was that McTominay threw his arm back, only because Son tried to grab at his shirt... again in my view, he was just trying to 'shake him off'.
I was surprised that the goal was disallowed, and more surprised by the poll results above. Just shows that I must have my United blinkers on, to some extent!

My view was that McTominay threw his arm back, only because Son tried to grab at his shirt... again in my view, he was just trying to 'shake him off'.
I was surprised that the goal was disallowed, and more surprised by the poll results above. Just shows that I must have my United blinkers on, to some extent!

i'm a city fan and i have the same opinion as you. i think it's a natural football movement to hold an opponent off / push them off when you're trying to move away from them

i'm a city fan and i have the same opinion as you. i think it's a natural football movement to hold an opponent off / push them off when you're trying to move away from them
I’m completely neutral club-wise, however I agree with both of you. It seemed a natural movement from McTominay to hold off Son.

Footballers use a hand off because referee's let the defenders get away with little grabs on the arm and shirt with some refs incorrectly arguing it doesn't have an impact.
The way VAR is being applied is taking context out of the game.

I’m completely neutral club-wise, however I agree with both of you. It seemed a natural movement from McTominay to hold off Son.
I'm a neutral and I disagree with both of you. What's worrying is if we, as a refereeing forum can't get agreement, what hope is there of getting other decisions correct? 1 out of 3 refs would have given the goal. It's always interesting that when my local RA has the 'what would you do videos', answers can range from 'play on' to 'send the player off'. How can that be the case when we're seeing the challenge from exactly the same position? The only thing that I can say is consistent, is my consistency from game to game.

For what it's worth, I can't fathom at all anyone who says that is a natural movement of the arm. This is football not rugby and that movement was a hand off. It's a definite foul for me and had I seen it, I would have given it. There is a question though as to whether or not on a Saturday or Sunday I would have actually seen it. But as VAR is used, it was the correct use of VAR and a correct outcome.

Natural movement or not. It's trifling. It's a dive. Play on.
If you are going to stop play, go back, give an IDFK and book the defender in white for "attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury."

And, if you really want to back for a foul here, which ITOTR you are perfectly entitled to, then be consistent and give the DFK, and also give a yellow card to the defending player for simulation.

I think it's worth discussing the potential foul by Son though. If we accept that's a "hand off" (legal or otherwise) then the question has the be asked: "why did he feel the need to do that?"

If he was doing it because he felt the presence of an opponent and was preemptively pushing him away then sure, McTominay potentially committed the first offence. But if he's been pulled and has pushed away in response to that pull, then don't we find ourselves in the weird position where there's a foul by the defender, followed by a foul by the attacker? You can't just play advantage on both offences or "offset" the two fouls, so the correct thing for the VAR to do would be to recommend that the goal is disallowed, and play is restarted with a FK to United for the initial foul by Son.....? Talk about a difficult sell!

I do agree with you that he was trying to shake Son off but, in doing so, he does deliberately strike Son and therefore a foul does occur in my opinion. Son made the most of it of course though.

Footballers use a hand off because referee's let the defenders get away with little grabs on the arm and shirt with some refs incorrectly arguing it doesn't have an impact.
The way VAR is being applied is taking context out of the game.
That’s very true. It is always looked at like a completely independent incident.

For what it's worth, I can't fathom at all anyone who says that is a natural movement of the arm. This is football not rugby and that movement was a hand off. It's a definite foul for me and had I seen it, I would have given it. There is a question though as to whether or not on a Saturday or Sunday I would have actually seen it. But as VAR is used, it was the correct use of VAR and a correct outcome.
I agree.

There is no doubt that McTominay's hand touched Son's face but I can't accept that it was a "strike". Son's reaction was embarrassing but it's all too familiar in the game nowadays from players at all top levels. I very much doubt a Sunday League player would have reacted to such light contact at all.

There is no doubt that McTominay's hand touched Son's face but I can't accept that it was a "strike". Son's reaction was embarrassing but it's all too familiar in the game nowadays from players at all top levels. I very much doubt a Sunday League player would have reacted to such light contact at all.
Attempts to strike is an offence (and possibly a red card depending on force and intent).

I would like to see a side by side poll to this with options:

Man united fans
United fan not's (includes City and Liverpool fans)
Everyone else

Then see if there are any parallelisms :)

Justice provailed and the football gods engineered that the scrubbed out goal didn’t dictate the result outcome! Makes a change when this happens! Cheats should never prosper! Sorry, over exaggeraters!

Just read talks port article recounting Deeney and Sherwood blaming referees!!

Back