A&H

Match dress

I've also seen this in the US. The first time I officiated in the mid 2000s, I always had to wear jacket and tie to and from major conference college matches. Now with Covid limiting dressing room space, we are allowed to either wear business casual or tracksuits to games. I think as long as you have a nice tracksuit or a polo/golf shirt with the appropriate logo, that's more than acceptable. The world is changing. Even major college and professional basketball coaches in the United States, who have a number of people well-known for their stylish suits, have moved to much more of a business casual look (like how you see basketball coaches dress at the Olympics, for example).

On a somewhat related note, I think it's funny when the VAR team wears the exact same uniforms that the on-field referees wear even though they are sitting in a video room (and in many cases in a central location hundreds of miles from the game site). I think VARs are fine wearing a golf shirt and either tracksuit pants or business casual khakis, but that's just me.
think only John Terry thinks VAR should be in refs outfit

The Referee Store
Covid is going to leave a lasting imprint on many aspects of life, possibly for ever but certainly for the foreseeable future. Most office based people won't be going back, certainly not 5 days a week. Online shopping is now the norm and high streets will have to massively adapt to survive. Cash was on its way out prior to Covid, that has been massively accelerated in the last 18 months, and so on.

So there is no reason why the outdated, and frankly archaic, requirement for people to go to officiate a sporting event as if they were going to a wedding can't become a permanent victim of the pandemic.

I don't think it is bad that the VAR crew wear the uniform shirts. Anything else seems pretty silly.

I would assume that the shirts are the only true ref kit worn (so tracksuit pants), but I could be wrong. I'm trying to remember what the VAR crews wore during the 2018 World Cup. I still think that's pretty odd. If I'm a VAR, I'd personally feel more "business-like" for that role wearing essentially what I'm wearing in the office right now (golf shirt, half-zip pullover layer, khakis).

But in any case, the idea of jacket and tie definitely feels antiquated. I'd say even for a cup final, wearing a pair of khakis, a golf shirt, and (if needed) a tracksuit top should present the right mix of professionalism and "smart casual".

How much different is the golf shirt from the ref shirt? And like the 4O, I would imagine they can wear the jacket if warranted.

I like the idea that they are part of the team and wearing the same shirt--which also means that when there are shots into the booth, who is a ref and who is a tech is clear. But I also can't say I care very much.

A referee was told shirt and tie and then turned up in that attire but wearing joggers and crocs, the most distressing thing was the short sleeve shirt.

Many of the PGMO tracksuits with neon flashes have looked very chav. One step up from a great Primani number.

A referee was told shirt and tie and then turned up in that attire but wearing joggers and crocs, the most distressing thing was the short sleeve shirt.

Many of the PGMO tracksuits with neon flashes have looked very chav. One step up from a great Primani number.

Not a fan at all of the Premier League warmups. Fully agree that the volt yellow is not a good look. Call me old-fashioned, but a solid black jacket and training pants more than does the trick. I do like the green Macron UEFA jackets, but black goes with everything! :)

Not a fan at all of the Premier League warmups. Fully agree that the volt yellow is not a good look. Call me old-fashioned, but a solid black jacket and training pants more than does the trick. I do like the green Macron UEFA jackets, but black goes with everything! :)

I favour this as my preferred outfit when "smart tracksuit" is specified.

Attachments

• B4321959-A38C-4E24-92EA-DFA3650EB469.jpeg
    B4321959-A38C-4E24-92EA-DFA3650EB469.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 4
Back