A&H

Match dress

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
So I officiate mainly in step 5-7 leagues, all of which have adopted a 'smart tracksuit' policy for match dress this season. Personally I much prefer it. less faffing around and I've always thought the idea of a suit for a football match to be very old fashioned. Do we think we have now seen the end of suits for league matches at the lower levels?

The Referee Store
So I officiate mainly in step 5-7 leagues, all of which have adopted a 'smart tracksuit' policy for match dress this season. Personally I much prefer it. less faffing around and I've always thought the idea of a suit for a football match to be very old fashioned. Do we think we have now seen the end of suits for league matches at the lower levels?

Hopefully.
Of course folk willl have differing views, mine is that we are athletes turning up to participate in a sporting event, not a boardroom meeting, and thus a smart tracksuit looks the part,
I never liked the idea of turning up to a scabby ramshackle multi team council facility in a suit, whilst everyone else had trackies on, feel like an outcast from the start, plus then you are hanging your smart clothes on a rusty nail or folding them onto a manky bench or so on
Esp in todays climate with no showers or limited facility, makes perfect sense to fire on a trackie,
Can understand say a cup final making an effort, as possibly the teams will to, but its a huge vote for trackies from me,
that plus post lockdown they fit stretchy a lot eaaier than my trousers!

Nope. I don't.
Main reason is the definition of smart tracksuit I have seen some refs turn up in is very loose.
Shirt and tie is something everyone has and is smart.
Some clubs have a strict suit and boot policy in board rooms where refs are given refreshments pre and post game as well.
So I think in the future we will return to suit and tie.
I also prefer the tracksuit attire. Matches what players wear and when referees have the gear looks good.

Problem being, the smartness scale for folk in tracksuits is gonna range from 'tramp' to 'chav'
Seriously, not many of us are gonna look smart in any of our tracksuit clobber
Conscious of this, I've found a solution by wafting the cobwebs off my golf pants which are black, weather resistant, but smart enough for St Andrews 🏌️‍♀️
Neat & tidy sports footwear (also black) is a must. Suits and ties are yesteryear, so that's defo not the answer. Besides, some double-breasted get-ups and league ties leave many refs looking like they've just stepped out of Wetherspoons at 11am on a Tuesday morning

Last edited:
The answer for me is to do a deal with A&H or another supplier for a discounted standard tracksuit and polo, certainly for at contrib and above. Yes, that means an initial outlay for officials, but it will soon pay for itself as you can chuck it in the washing with your match kit, as opposed to having to pay for dry cleaning when suits get muddy.

In my experience boardrooms are becoming less and less formal, but if they do insist on suited and booted just give the officials sandwiches in the changing room. Some clubs do that anyway as they have a policy of no match officials in the boardroom.

I'd like to see the suit thang disappear but doubt it will any time soon...

My own personal view is that the mode of dress should "match" the occasion on the day. Step 4 and below league/cup games - sure - smart(ish) tracksuit. Above that or a Cup Final (any level) then more formal dress should apply - for both officials AND players though.

I'd like to see the suit thang disappear but doubt it will any time soon...

My own personal view is that the mode of dress should "match" the occasion on the day. Step 4 and below league/cup games - sure - smart(ish) tracksuit. Above that or a Cup Final (any level) then more formal dress should apply - for both officials AND players though.
Exactly right. If it's such a big an important occasion that the officials are expected to meet up ahead of time and all arrive together, all suited and booted, why do players turn up for the same match in dribs and drabs and wearing whatever they happened to have thrown on that morning?

I do prefer the 'smart tracksuit' method. Just tracksuit bottoms, with your ref's warm up/sports jacket (local FA jacket/society jacket etc) and that works nicely and has the badge for effect!

Has to be a shirt and tie for the cup finals though, I'll never change my view on that! :p

I just personally think suited and booted is very dated and not reflective of society in general today. For example, I've worked at the same City of London based company for nearly 20 years (a few office moves, name changes, mergers and demergers along the way, but still the same company). When I started it was strictly suit, **** and tie, a few years later the tie requirement was dropped. Then around 10 years ago it became smart casual, so no jeans or trainers but chinos and a smart shirt or polo was fine. Two years ago it changed to you can wear want you want, anything goes unless it is deemed to be offensive or likely to cause offence, for me that is shirt, jeans and trainers, or even shorts in Summer. Lots of other City based companies have gone the same way.

Refereeing hasn't changed one bit, and that's why I say it isn't reflective of society as a whole.

I would like to think arriving at the match could be in tracksuit, but post match shirt and trousers.

I would like to think arriving at the match could be in tracksuit, but post match shirt and trousers.

Even more hassle. At least if you're already in your whistle, it's just a case of putting it back on after you shower ...

The general consensus around the office is pro-tracksuit. Easier to wash (Throw it in with your kit post-match), easier to maintain, more comfortable, the list goes on. Works out cheaper in the long run too!

The general consensus around the office is pro-tracksuit. Easier to wash (Throw it in with your kit post-match), easier to maintain, more comfortable, the list goes on. Works out cheaper in the long run too!

If only somewhere sold a tracksuit....🤔

Reactions: Kes
Nope. I don't.
Main reason is the definition of smart tracksuit I have seen some refs turn up in is very loose.
Shirt and tie is something everyone has and is smart.
Some clubs have a strict suit and boot policy in board rooms where refs are given refreshments pre and post game as well.
So I think in the future we will return to suit and tie.
I also prefer the tracksuit attire. Matches what players wear and when referees have the gear looks good.

I'm not sure we will go back to suit and tie. League approved tracksuits will also provide a bit of a revenue stream with officials buying the official tracksuits from an approved supplier. I dont think anyone will expect refs to go back to suits and ties (cup finals aside). If we do go back to that then what's it driven by? The illusion of suit giving a better impression? I'd say these days it has the opposite effect.

Tracksuit is my preference, however I agree that the definition of a "smart tracksuit" is very loosely applied, especially at Supply League level where we've got AR's from committed 5-4 candidates, through "5 forever" referees and 6's and 7's.

It's certainly a better feeling putting on a tracksuit after a shower than putting on a suit and tie!

Referee's at all levels should respect this oppurnity by actually wearing appropriate tracksuits. It's about trust at the end of the day.

Had no issues from my assistants thus far.

It’s quite a rare occasion for me to have to wear a suit to a match, and while I don’t have any issues with it I think tracksuits are the way forward.

It more convenient, fits our role as participants in a sporting event, and is much more comfortable for driving in etc.

I've also seen this in the US. The first time I officiated in the mid 2000s, I always had to wear jacket and tie to and from major conference college matches. Now with Covid limiting dressing room space, we are allowed to either wear business casual or tracksuits to games. I think as long as you have a nice tracksuit or a polo/golf shirt with the appropriate logo, that's more than acceptable. The world is changing. Even major college and professional basketball coaches in the United States, who have a number of people well-known for their stylish suits, have moved to much more of a business casual look (like how you see basketball coaches dress at the Olympics, for example).

On a somewhat related note, I think it's funny when the VAR team wears the exact same uniforms that the on-field referees wear even though they are sitting in a video room (and in many cases in a central location hundreds of miles from the game site). I think VARs are fine wearing a golf shirt and either tracksuit pants or business casual khakis, but that's just me.

Back