A&H

Mass melee - fan footage

The Referee Store
Spot on with the cards imo - arguably could've been VC for Black 9 too as I don't think there was much attempt to play the ball there. Horrific.

proper fun and games that!

great shout with those reds, could have had more cards (black 4 and the red player he was grappling with) but unlikely you've seen that. but you got the 2 main ones!

Where I am we have a social media policy preventing us posting (identifiable) incident details relating to our games in social media. You may want to check yours.

Good job with getting the two players. Would have been easy to lose them in the melee.

Nothing like a mass confrontation out of nowhere!

Good call on both of the reds - as @es1 says above there could have been more cards, but with CARs getting the two instigators is all you can ask for really.

Yeah, great job on the main two. I'm honestly not convinced I see another red there - maybe a yellow for the second red player in, as it's him getting involved that really causes it to escalate?

Looks like solid decisions, not sure giving yellows here is required with CAR not helping here. Wondering why you're wearing black though, isn't that confusing for the teams?

Looks like solid decisions, not sure giving yellows here is required with CAR not helping here. Wondering why you're wearing black though, isn't that confusing for the teams?

Black is the only colour permitted in this particular county FA. 😉

The only feedback I would give, which was once given to me is after the first couple of blows on the whistle, stop blowing it. It's not having any impact on the players and I was told that the more you keep blowing it, the more desparate it looks on your part.

Good job though, knowing both of those teams very well, both can be a proper handful!

I observed a Supply league game with a team wearing that kit. They looked like a team of Referees. The team also had gold numbers on the back which didn't stand out, partly due to the colour and partly the sun. It was the hardest game I've ever done because I could not lose sight of the Referee or else I couldn't find him again so I couldn't watch to see what players were up to. If I saw a player do something I couldn't get his number for the report.

The FA were asked whether referees could wear a different colour when doing this team, with the reply being basically no, and if they did then we were to mark them down for being improperly dressed!

Good decisions, seen this on social media today and wondered what cards were given. Especially hard as it’s by the hoardings with CARs!

Separately - I really don’t understand why certain leagues don’t allow referees to wear alt colours. I’ve found myself almost always wearing alt colours recently, due to one or both teams wearing black stripes or generally dark kits. I do understand that some refs don’t wanna buy another colour, but having the option is nice!

Good decisions, seen this on social media today and wondered what cards were given. Especially hard as it’s by the hoardings with CARs!

Separately - I really don’t understand why certain leagues don’t allow referees to wear alt colours. I’ve found myself almost always wearing alt colours recently, due to one or both teams wearing black stripes or generally dark kits. I do understand that some refs don’t wanna buy another colour, but having the option is nice!

I think they are protecting the refs--once it's accepted it can quickly become expected, and all of a sudden your shirt expenses go way up.

(Here in the US, we've gone the ridiculous route of having 5 colors; if you want long and short options, that's 10 shirts. I think they are decent shirts, but at $50 a pop, that's $500 if you get the official shirts. And in some places, scholastic competition has separate shirts on top of that.) I'd love to see us go back to three, but it's a hard genie to get back into the bottle, as shirt companies make money from more shirts, and I *believe* that USSF gets a licensing fee from the official supplier, who is the only one that can print the USSF logo on the shirts.)

I think they are protecting the refs--once it's accepted it can quickly become expected, and all of a sudden your shirt expenses go way up.

(Here in the US, we've gone the ridiculous route of having 5 colors; if you want long and short options, that's 10 shirts. I think they are decent shirts, but at $50 a pop, that's $500 if you get the official shirts. And in some places, scholastic competition has separate shirts on top of that.) I'd love to see us go back to three, but it's a hard genie to get back into the bottle, as shirt companies make money from more shirts, and I *believe* that USSF gets a licensing fee from the official supplier, who is the only one that can print the USSF logo on the shirts.)
Yep, it can be a problem.

My association in Australia has 3 options (Fluoro yellow, Black, and the deep/baby blue), but list the yellow one as our Primary, so I do know there is one club where their home kit is a deep yellow, so for junior games (where the referees will most likely only own the yellow shirt), there will be a bit of a clash, but its always yellow. So, I'm guessing our leagues haven't sanctioned any fluoro yellow shirts from this season onwards.

You could just as easily ask the question of why leagues don't properly enforce their own rules about black being reserved for the referee. The issue with the above clip isn't what the referee is wearing, because he was always going to turn up wearing black - the question is who signed off on that other kit.

I think the trouble is they don’t actually look at the kit. Clubs say their colours are black and white striped shirt, black socks and shorts and it sounds like the Newcastle kit so leagues accept it, sight unseen. Then when it turns out it’s all black with a few stripes on the front it’s too late.
We had a club who bought a new kit which was always going to be a problem. It was black with red pinstripes. Once they’d bought it they said if you won’t let us play we’ll fold because we can’t afford to buy a new kit, so the league had to let them play in it. Games were really awkward because there were eleven refs each game. I had players appealing for offside against me - “there he is, ref!” “No, he is the ref!”
Clubs seem to think wearing black looks good and don’t care about potential problems this may cause

You could just as easily ask the question of why leagues don't properly enforce their own rules about black being reserved for the referee. The issue with the above clip isn't what the referee is wearing, because he was always going to turn up wearing black - the question is who signed off on that other kit.
Ah I didn't know black is reserved for refs on your side of the pond. Over here, we sorta have to have three colours to be sure none match with a team. I'd like it if I always got to wear black but that sadly isn't always the case

Ah I didn't know black is reserved for refs on your side of the pond. Over here, we sorta have to have three colours to be sure none match with a team. I'd like it if I always got to wear black but that sadly isn't always the case
Yeah, it comes up on here every so often and definitely splits opinion, but I'm massively in favour of having a single colour for referees - minimise barriers to entry for new referees as much as possible.

Some areas have recently changed it to optionally allow referees to carry one specific alternate colour, but in theory, black is still reserved even in those leagues - it just gives the referee an option in the cases where a navy-blue or a black-striped kit is a little too close.

Mentioned it before but theres no restrictions at all here. I’ve actually only wore black once.

Mentioned it before but theres no restrictions at all here. I’ve actually only wore black once.
Yep. I try and wear black whenever it’s suitable, but there’s times other colours make more sense.
The SFA are stuck in the dark ages in some ways, but thankfully they’ve got this aspect right - IMO.

Back