A&H

Mass Confrontation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The assistant In question is very much like that And also would you played it

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I have to say a thought he handled it very well given the severity.

Perhaps as others have said draw the sendings off closer to the tunnel but other than that a good job.

What would you have done so differently Herts??

I have to say a thought he handled it very well given the severity.

Perhaps as others have said draw the sendings off closer to the tunnel but other than that a good job.

What would you have done so differently Herts??

Not a lot, he did handle it well, I was merely highlighting the only faults. I thought the AR stormed in far to mindlessly, but the referee did well. The whistling just irritated the hell out of me! Far to rhythmic

In this situation I would like football to adopt the rugby tactic of separating the two teams by about 10m with the officials in the middle. Call the captains in, explain how it will work (eg reds first then second yellows then yellows) and that everything given has been seen by one of the three officials and is not to be argued. This way the referee isn't chasing around the field for each player like the one in this video.

copying what the referee was doing. No need and looked quite embarrassing - speak to the referee, then let him deal with everything, no need for further participation on his part (i.e. telling the players to leave the FOP etc...)

Agreed, in these situations the ref should do the talking and the assistant share their opinions with the ref before cards are given (when players are not within earshot). I absolutely hate when assistants are participating in discussions with the players, let the ref be the teams voice, he is the team lead. He is responsible, he will take the blame, he will have to defend the teams performance. It is only reasonable that he does the talking.

Not just stood their and blown my whistle like I'm auditioning for a west end musical for a start! AR shouldn't have gone into melee but should have stayed wide and observed and done his job

On a side note, what an awful awful challenge
The 1st AR is supposed to assist the referee while the 2nd AR observes for any offence occurring outside the view of the fourth official, referee and the 1st AR. In this incident, I think the referee should have been involved defusing the tension rather than blowing his whistle. Both Ars were perfect.

BOTH ARs WERE PERFECT?!
This is what I mean
massconf.jpg

I have always been told by refs I have been with to NEVER get involved in mass confrontations. Simply because if players start swinging punches then there would be a good chance of you being on the end of it.(Whether they were trying to hit you or not) Instead I have always been told to get into the triangle like above to view it from 3 different angles. Let the players go in and once they have calmed themselves down the 3 officials can discuss what they have seen

The referee has to intervene BEFORE a mass confrontation breaks out.

The referee has to intervene BEFORE a mass confrontation breaks out.
If I'm reffing no way will I throw myself between two players squaring up to each other, even if no punches have been thrown. No other contact sport has found this successful (except boxing). I would just observe and deal with everything afterwards.

If I'm reffing no way will I throw myself between two players squaring up to each other, even if no punches have been thrown. No other contact sport has found this successful (except boxing). I would just observe and deal with everything afterwards.
Intervention does not mean separating players who are squaring up each other, it means "punishing the offending player before the other players react and join"

This is what I mean
massconf.jpg
I agree with the triangle but was this before the AR flung himself in the middle of the fight or after. This is the perfect situation imo and there is no need for the AR to get in the middle of it because by the time he arrives it is already a mass confrontation.

Intervention does not mean separating players who are squaring up each other, it means "punishing the offending player before the other players react and join"
In this situation I don't think that this was an option really for the ref, it all happened too fast.

I agree with the triangle but was this before the AR flung himself in the middle of the fight or after. This is the perfect situation imo and there is no need for the AR to get in the middle of it because by the time he arrives it is already a mass confrontation.
If the match officials stand there and watch, it will mean they have lost control of the match.

1) Triangle formed - good. Should have stayed there though.
2) Firstly, the far side assistant is too far away, he should be closer.
3) The dugouts side assistant whilst originally good, should not be intervening in the manner in which he did. In fact, the manner in which he did get involved was laughable.
4) The referee did well. Although I haven't particularly looked closer at the offending players (just the management) it appears he correctly disciplined offending players. Although, I personally wouldn't allow the coach to be sat so close to his opposition dug out.
5) Dugout assistant was far too busy. E.g. pointing to players to leave the FOP basically copying the referee. As I said, not needed.

Whilst I don't think officials should just stand there and watch, they could stand there and be vocal. They can watch out for everything, but also ensure they are 'present'. Let things calm down, which they inevitably well. And then deal with it. I would not, and would never recommend doing what this assistant did.

1) Triangle formed - good. Should have stayed there though.
2) Firstly, the far side assistant is too far away, he should be closer.
3) The dugouts side assistant whilst originally good, should not be intervening in the manner in which he did. In fact, the manner in which he did get involved was laughable.
4) The referee did well. Although I haven't particularly looked closer at the offending players (just the management) it appears he correctly disciplined offending players. Although, I personally wouldn't allow the coach to be sat so close to his opposition dug out.
5) Dugout assistant was far too busy. E.g. pointing to players to leave the FOP basically copying the referee. As I said, not needed.

Whilst I don't think officials should just stand there and watch, they could stand there and be vocal. They can watch out for everything, but also ensure they are 'present'. Let things calm down, which they inevitably well. And then deal with it. I would not, and would never recommend doing what this assistant did.
If you watch the video, you will see the far assistant come to the centre circle. The action of the assistant to get involved was right imo since the incident happened close to him. Watch the video and see his main effort was to stop a mass brawl when he intervened. The referee, 4th official (if there is one) and the far assistant are in a better position to see what is happening. Topic closed.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree with respect to the assistant getting involved - differing opinions.

By the way, there was no fourth official.

As you put it, topic closed.

Personally after 1 look ...tackler off and play on ....if your gonna be dishing cards for others getting involved its gonna be abandoned !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back