A&H

Manchester United vs Middlesbrough

The Referee Store
Not by the laws, unless unnatural position.

Old laws, would've been disallowed.

Looking forward to trying to explain that one to defenders if it happens in one of my games at the weekend (3 games)!

It is an offence if a player after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, immediately:
• scores in the opponents’ goal
• creates a goal-scoring opportunity

Surely that created a goal scoring opportunity. He controlled it with his hand (I’d lean towards accidentally but I can’t tell for certain) to stop it going out of play, chipped it over the keeper and then it was tapped into the empty net.

Or am I misinterpreting the law?

underlined is incorrect

It is an offence if a player after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, immediately:
• scores in the opponents’ goal
• creates a goal-scoring opportunity

Surely that created a goal scoring opportunity. He controlled it with his hand (I’d lean towards accidentally but I can’t tell for certain) to stop it going out of play, chipped it over the keeper and then it was tapped into the empty net.

Or am I misinterpreting the law?
You're looking at the 2020-21 laws and not the 2021-22 laws which removed the goal scoring opportunity part.

You're looking at the 2020-21 laws and not the 2021-22 laws which removed the goal scoring opportunity part.
Huh I got that off the IFAB app as well. I remember looking at the actual website when the laws changed but I assumed the IFAB app would’ve automatically updated unless I have to do something

Huh I got that off the IFAB app as well. I remember looking at the actual website when the laws changed but I assumed the IFAB app would’ve automatically updated unless I have to do something

You have to go into the settings on the app and change which year of the laws you want. I don't think it automatically updated.

Doesn’t go into the goal off his hand, so on we go. Arm is out for balance as adjusts to (mis)control the ball.

And ignore Lee Dixon on the TV too; it would not have been a penalty had it been a defender as he kicks it against his own hand.

Score your penalty, don’t hit the woodwork and it won’t matter.

The goal part is irrelevant

It is an offence if a player:
• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball
• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

Its handball. He makes his body bigger and moves his arm towards the ball

Doesn’t go into the goal off his hand, so on we go. Arm is out for balance as adjusts to (mis)control the ball.

And ignore Lee Dixon on the TV too; it would not have been a penalty had it been a defender as he kicks it against his own hand.

Score your penalty, don’t hit the woodwork and it won’t matter.

If the non handball in the opening game of the Euros was considered to be an offense by UEFA for unnatural position then this one is 100% a foul.

Expect handball law to change again... Football expects and all that...

I'm torn on this one. I'm close to it being a consequence of the movement for that specific situation BUT, the hand does move towards the ball and without the handball it's going out of play. It's definitely unnaturally bigger.

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball

From the teaching perspective, movement of the hand towards the ball is enough to be considered an offense. Even if the player didn't consciously move his arm towards the ball (an impossible standard for a ref to apply), we instead can only base it on if the arm moved towards the ball. In this case it did, so it meets this clause of the laws.

This would have been avoided had they not felt the need to tinker with the bloody thing in the first place, three (or is it four?) seasons ago.

Expect handball law to change again... Football expects and all that...

I'm torn on this one. I'm close to it being a consequence of the movement for that specific situation BUT, the hand does move towards the ball and without the handball it's going out of play. It's definitely unnaturally bigger.
Justifiable by the player’s body movement IMO - very difficult to control a bouncing ball whilst on the move with your arms down by your sides like a penguin without going face first into the turf. Hand moving towards the ball isn't a consideration, nor is the fact the ball might have gone out of play without it touching his hand.

Hand moving towards the ball isn't a consideration

???

BSL2ux2.png

Back