A&H

Manchester City Women vs Arsenal Women

The Referee Store
haven't looked at the rulebook but wow. surely its a drop ball? the direction of the ball has completely changed.

It’s a nailed on promising attack that it’s started. Law 9.1 is clear, ball should be considered out of play and a restart with a dropped ball to Man City.
Not only - is she unfortunately incorrect in law on this one, she’s also then exacerbated it by hitting the advantage signal.

4th official on the game is the FA’s national refereeing manager as well….

so the rulebook confirms its a drop ball then? not sure how demi stokes/lauren hemp flying down the wing isn't a "promising attack"

It’s a nailed on promising attack that it’s started. Law 9.1 is clear, ball should be considered out of play and a restart with a dropped ball to Man City.
Not only - is she unfortunately incorrect in law on this one, she’s also then exacerbated it by hitting the advantage signal.

The issue I have is that the promising attack only starts after the ball is passed down the line and the arsenal defender dives in. Poor defending causes the promising attack imo.

The left back having control in their half isn't anything out of the ordinary.

I missed her signal.

That to me would be poorer than the actual playing on. Why!!!!????

The issue I have is that the promising attack only starts after the ball is passed down the line and the arsenal defender dives in. Poor defending causes the promising attack imo.

The left back having control in their half isn't anything out of the ordinary.

I don't think we should overthink this. The deflection off the ref changed the ball from going to a player with their back towards goal who was about to be challenged to starting an attack that led to a goal. Just give the DB.

I don't think we should overthink this. The deflection off the ref changed the ball from going to a player with their back towards goal who was about to be challenged to starting an attack that led to a goal. Just give the DB.

If the defender is fouled there are you giving a yellow for spa?

I don't disagree with your sentiment, she'll kick herself for not giving it. But I don't think she's incorrect in law at all.

If the defender is fouled there are you giving a yellow for spa?

I don't disagree with your sentiment, she'll kick herself for not giving it. But I don't think she's incorrect in law at all.

The soft attacking handballs and soft nudges on a defender shielding a ball aren't always correct in law, but we give them because it helps manage the game and stop you from paddling in a s***storm. Same thing here IMO.

It turned into an attack that was SPA worthy within a few seconds.

its not poor defending though? where the pass is intended - arsenal have 2 in the centre, chances are kim little breaks play up there. arsenal 'tucked in' to fill the middle of the pitch, where the pass was intended to go. the fact the ball hits the ref and completely changes direction plays demi stokes in. the space is there infront of her to exploit (credit to man city they do that well). i can't understand the ref pointing either (assuming she's saying "play of you've got the ball" type thing). think if you've got half the players questioning wtaf is going on you've messed up.

So how long do we wait? 2, 3, 5, 10? Sure the deflection wrong footed an arsenal player but it doesn't start a promising attack. It merely starts a run of the mill attack. The next pass doesn't even start it, it's the actions of the defender diving in that creates it.

The soft attacking handballs and soft nudges on a defender shielding a ball aren't always correct in law, but we give them because it helps manage the game and stop you from paddling in a s***storm. Same thing here IMO.

for me you've hit the nail on the head. that's the key here isn't it - she's paddled into a very avoidable storm. well explained. soon as the ball hit the back of the net i bet she thought "oh bother", or something with that sentiment.

If you look at the clip. The blonde Arsenal player moves from position to shut down the recipient of the intended pass, when it hits the ref and goes to the LB, she is then in a whole load of space which is why she can drive forward.

Issue is exacerbated by the advantage signal.

Don't think she's signalling advantage. Looks like she's pointing towards the ball, and saying something to the City player presumably along of the lines of "you've still got it"

I think it is very difficult to say this created a promising attack. In their own half, sends the ball backwards, not sure any referee here would have alarm bells ringing telling them to stop play. Of course they would be ringing loud and clear ten seconds later, but you can't then go back and give a dropped ball after the goal has been scored. I don't think I'd be stopping this at the time, but I then probably wish I had after the goal was scored. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Back