A&H

Manchester City Women vs Arsenal Women

i get where you're coming from but i don't agree, imagine you give it and someone's clued up on the laws...try explaining how the ball with the left back in their own half is a promising attack
Well I did that above! :p

As you say, and others have said, good debate, but we're not going to get 100% consensus on this one I don't think!

The Referee Store
Well I did that above! :p

As you say, and others have said, good debate, but we're not going to get 100% consensus on this one I don't think!

yep, i'll still be disagreeing!

i think as has been mentioned, this could easily be cleared up if any touch by the ref / AR resulted in a drop ball whatever the location / outcome

On the point of what football expects, I have said this before, football expects what we referees make them expect. This dropped ball has been around for a few years only, before that ball hits the referee it's play on.

Now since this law came about some referees have chosen to drop ball every time the ball hits them. Some drop ball when it goes out after hitting the referee because the team with posession lose posession. These are incorrect in law. But what is worse is that it creates wrong expectations (yes football now expects what is wrong in law). It just makes it harder for other referees who follow the law.

Great thread - actually learned something I can put into practice should it ever happen.

After reading the thread, what I would do if this happens to me in the future....
Not blow for the dropped ball immediately, but if after "a few seconds" a promising attack has started, and I felt my touch helped create that attack, I would pull it back for the dropped ball.

Yep that's a fair point, at ground level the change in the 'promising'ishness ;) of the attack may not have been as 'obvious' as the TV pictures make it appear.

While I like the phrase "change in the 'promising'ishness," I don't think that is really what the Law contemplates right now. The (problematic) language is "starts a promising attack." But I don't think I'm going to stress too much about the language, as I'm guessing it's going to be changing soon . . .

While I like the phrase "change in the 'promising'ishness," I don't think that is really what the Law contemplates right now. The (problematic) language is "starts a promising attack." But I don't think I'm going to stress too much about the language, as I'm guessing it's going to be changing soon . . .
Absolutely, and it's the point I have been making, a promising attack was started. Whether it was a apparent at the point it. Started or later on, it was still started at the point the LB gained possession

It's a rare event (1 in 10 game's?).
Ball hit's ref = dropped ball.
Why complicate?
If you're saying that is what IFAB should have done, then I think it's a reasonable position. There are definitely pros (simple, easy to understand, safe) and cons (unnecessary break in the flow of the game, the necessity to manage drop balls with players not understanding 4m etc).

However, if you're saying that is what referees should do right now then I fundamentally disagree. It's not in line with a very recently changed law and it's basically saying that we know better than IFAB. Inevitably some referees will still attempt to apply the law as written and they will become the villains because 'last week's ref' just stopped the game for a DB

If you're saying that is what IFAB should have done, then I think it's a reasonable position. There are definitely pros (simple, easy to understand, safe) and cons (unnecessary break in the flow of the game, the necessity to manage drop balls with players not understanding 4m etc).

However, if you're saying that is what referees should do right now then I fundamentally disagree. It's not in line with a very recently changed law and it's basically saying that we know better than IFAB. Inevitably some referees will still attempt to apply the law as written and they will become the villains because 'last week's ref' just stopped the game for a DB
Rewrite - and keep it simple

Back