A&H

Manager Interferes in Play

The Referee Store
Really odd refereeing style there imo. Yes, it’s a red card but he’s branded it as he’s sprinting towards the dugout after he’s seen the manager get pushed, and continues holding it up from a distance while a melee is ongoing. He needs to calm down and take in what’s going on

The referee isn't calming that situation down. The manager has done something that is so beyond the pale into cheating territory that him not getting punched would probably be a win for the referee.

This type of scenario cannot be legislated for... We can't prevent it.

Once it happens we know ww3 breaks out and subsequently what happans after that is largely outside of our control.

I understand the referee flashing the red card, he wants to say I have seen and I am dealing. The problem here is, manager being sent off, with less then 1 min of 90 at 1-1 does nothing so the flashed red does nothing to prevent what happens next.

It's difficult to find development here. The flash red has no impact and is not needed, and we don't see what he pulls out afterwards so we don't really know the end result. He does however keep eyes on the melee and is moving to retain a viewing position of what's happening out of our view.

The irony here is that the manager gets a red, OK. But based on that melee blues will be lucky to still have 11 on the field once its all done. Its hardly justice is it?

Once it happens we know ww3 breaks out and subsequently what happans after that is largely outside of our control.

I understand the referee flashing the red card, he wants to say I have seen and I am dealing. The problem here is, manager being sent off, with less then 1 min of 90 at 1-1 does nothing so the flashed red does nothing to prevent what happens next.

It's difficult to find development here. The flash red has no impact and is not needed, and we don't see what he pulls out afterwards so we don't really know the end result. He does however keep eyes on the melee and is moving to retain a viewing position of what's happening out of our view.

The irony here is that the manager gets a red, OK. But based on that melee blues will be lucky to still have 11 on the field once its all done. Its hardly justice is it?

We've already made massive changes to law 12/13 when it comes to fouls in the last few years. Remember for over 100 years that a foul had to be committed by a player on the field. Now can be committed by substitutes and managers. Is it really so insane to say that a substitute or bench personnel coming onto the field and interfering with play should be restarted with the penalty kick no matter where on the field it occurs?

We've already made massive changes to law 12/13 when it comes to fouls in the last few years. Remember for over 100 years that a foul had to be committed by a player on the field. Now can be committed by substitutes and managers. Is it really so insane to say that a substitute or bench personnel coming onto the field and interfering with play should be restarted with the penalty kick no matter where on the field it occurs?
I was thinking similar. There's no in game consequence here.
That 1 point could have significant impact on end of season standings.
Imagine this was 2 teams going for the title blues had to win, reds a draw and it's theirs.
Ludicrous a league could be decided in this way with no way for a match official to be able to offer a chance to put it right.

Shouldn't be a red anyway, should be two yellows C6/C1
Law 12 Team official send offs:
entering the field of play to:
• interfere with play, an opposing player or a match official

If it was a substitute, yes, you'd be right, but this looks like a team official to me.

I agree here, I think the complaints over the referees approach are unnecessarily harsh.

This is a textbook use of the flash red, the only way you might stop this from boiling over is making it clear it's been seen and dealt with. It doesn't work on this occasion, but that doesn't mean he's wrong to try - what else can he do if players and benches all decide they want to punch each other?

Standing back and blowing the whistle would have been similarly ineffective, but without giving yourself that 10% chance of nipping it in the bud and showing it's dealt with early.

A manager holding on to the ball to stop the other team from taking a throw in while in their technical area is enough for a straight red card.
The manager is not holding onto the ball in the TA. Besides, doesn't that only apply when the manager is delaying an opponent from restarting the game.
Just going off memory here. I guess when they list the dismissal offences, they can't think of everything
Anyway, technicalities.....

The manager is not holding onto the ball in the TA. Besides, doesn't that only apply when the manager is delaying an opponent from restarting the game.
Just going off memory here. I guess when they list the dismissal offences, they can't think of everything
Anyway, technicalities.....

You're the one that said this should be two yellows. I was just pointing out an even less significant example on which a coach should get a straight red. Obviously this is a straight red card and is listed as such and the laws of the game.

You're the one that said this should be two yellows. I was just pointing out an even less significant example on which a coach should get a straight red. Obviously this is a straight red card and is listed as such and the laws of the game.
I'm not that emotive on the issue and haven't checked the book, but AFAIK entering the FOP is a caution and SPA is a caution. The act of a TO entering the FOP to SPA is not specifically listed as a dismissal (AFAIrecall), but I think you're saying it's inferred by another incident, which is listed
I'm not as keen on inference and prefer the double yellow

I'm not that emotive on the issue and haven't checked the book, but AFAIK entering the FOP is a caution and SPA is a caution. The act of a TO entering the FOP to SPA is not specifically listed as a dismissal (AFAIrecall), but I think you're saying it's inferred by another incident, which is listed
Did you miss my post? If a manager enters field of play and interferes with play it's red. End of. Pg108 of the good book for reference.

If players want to punch each other after an event that I'm clearly dealing with (or about to), that's entirely up to them, and I'll deal with the consequences.... and so will they the following week.

Once had an in-person send-off appeal that lasted as long as introductions and "he punched me so I punched him back". :D

Last edited:
A manager holding on to the ball to stop the other team from taking a throw in while in their technical area is enough for a straight red card.
I see what you are trying to do here but it's not necessary as this offence is clearly covered in law as a send off in its own right

It definitely is specifically listed, as JamesL had already pointed out ...

Sending-off offences include (but are not limited to):

• entering the field of play to:

• confront a match official (including at half-time and full-time)
• interfere with play, an opposing player or a match official

Back