A&H

Man U Vs Liverpool

The Referee Store
As I post that Pogba flies in with a 2 footer and Taylor's gone yellow, oh dear.

VAR bails him out.

Slightly concerned Taylor has forgotten his red card today. With Ronaldo booting the ball into a prone Jones after the whistle, the McGuire DOGSO and now Pogba, there have been 3 "very orange" cards.

EDIT: VAR getting involved on the third at least!

Fine with the yellow for Maguire. I think where Maguire sent the ball after the foul provided enough doubt of ball control from the attacker.

Slightly concerned Taylor has forgotten his red card today. With Ronaldo booting the ball into a prone Jones after the whistle, the McGuire DOGSO and now Pogba, there have been 3 "very orange" cards.

I cautiously agreed with the yellow for Ronaldo when I saw the Assistant's angle. But the other two decisions left me fairly disappointed from a refereeing stand point! :hmmm:

Pogba's "challenge" is an absolute shocker and looks worse with every viewing. The guy ouzes everything that is wrong with modern day football! 🤬

Ron - if Curtis rolls around then I think it’s a possible red - but yellow is fine.

Macguire - I think it’s an easy DOGSO-R. Thing is Taylor has mot seen it, and he was reliant on the AR telling him on comms. Surprise for me was that it was not reviewed.

Pogba - Taylor will be gutted he didn’t see it in real time. Easy red. It’s a reminder to try to focus on the point of contact. Difficult.

Taylor gives red for Maguire and Pogba (without VAR involvement) if 0-0.

I was watching with my daughter and said straight away “He’s lucky” when the yellow came out.

The lack of remorse or contrition shown as he walked off is also a problem. That filters down the levels and causes issue for us. Nothing we can do but the ping it into the mix.

I personally thought Ronaldo was lucky.. Player prone on the floor. I think it was an act of brutality disguised as kicking the ball.
Not sure on the Maguire one. Enough question marks..
Pogaba, clear red. My Wife even called it real time. Horror tackle. I'm sure AT will be kicking himself that he didn't recognise the severity of the challenge in real time.
Hope the player makes a speedy recovery.

Thank you Mods for deleting the fan boy rubbish👍👍

Cowardly tackle from Pogba that gets worse on every viewing. Good use of VAR to reach the right decision but Taylor really should be spotting that in real time.

On the Ronaldo one, I think he was very, very lucky. Whistle has gone and he’s lost his head.

As soon as I saw the Pogba tackle I thought red. Its a shocker. Taylor should really be going red there straight away. Pogba's attitude afterwards was appalling. Almost laughing as he went off.

Ronaldo incident was both brutal and excessive force for me. There was a little kick out just before clicking the ball into Jones as well.

Pogba an easy red.

surprised no one mentioned Fernandes. But I guess if he went yellow for Pogba then this is not much of an issue.

Screenshot_20211025-071243__01.jpg

Last edited:
Now you mention it, I do remember thinking that was a nasty one - but that a yellow was consistent with what Taylor had given so far in the match.

That's just after the restart, and just before half time was the Ronaldo incident, plus a high boot from Fred catching a LFC player in the face that was very similar to the high boot that got Griezmann sent off in midweek. Lots of nasty incidents, but once you set a standard of "basically nothing is a straight red card", it's easy to just glaze over tackles like that.

Now you mention it, I do remember thinking that was a nasty one - but that a yellow was consistent with what Taylor had given so far in the match.

That's just after the restart, and just before half time was the Ronaldo incident, plus a high boot from Fred catching a LFC player in the face that was very similar to the high boot that got Griezmann sent off in midweek. Lots of nasty incidents, but once you set a standard of "basically nothing is a straight red card", it's easy to just glaze over tackles like that.

He seemed to always go to the yellow, with a view that if he's made a howler then it will be changed to red. I dont like that as a concept. It's easy saying this when we're not the ones out there in one of the biggest games in world football but I want refs to give what they see. VAR shouldn't be in a referees thought process as it should only be there if there's been a huge error. I do think it's encouraging refs to go for the yellow and that isn't what we want?

He seemed to always go to the yellow, with a view that if he's made a howler then it will be changed to red. I dont like that as a concept. It's easy saying this when we're not the ones out there in one of the biggest games in world football but I want refs to give what they see. VAR shouldn't be in a referees thought process as it should only be there if there's been a huge error. I do think it's encouraging refs to go for the yellow and that isn't what we want?
I think calling this the result of VAR is being too kind to Taylor - he's the latest in a line of referees who think that because they're bald and tall, they're the reincarnation of Collina and can "manage" their way around the big decisions. Only my opinion of course, but his tendency to avoid red wherever possible is a long-standing concern and the reason I've always preferred MO by some distance.

I think calling this the result of VAR is being too kind to Taylor - he's the latest in a line of referees who think that because they're bald and tall, they're the reincarnation of Collina and can "manage" their way around the big decisions. Only my opinion of course, but his tendency to avoid red wherever possible is a long-standing concern and the reason I've always preferred MO by some distance.
What am I reading here?
1)what line of bald referees have we got? AT is the only current bald referee. Before are Roger East and Lee Mason (and Mason loved a red card) so I'm almost certain none of the way he goes about his games are to do with the fact he is tall and bald!!
2) you don't become a PL referee by accident. I also get a sense that UEFA hold AT in higher regard.
3) the whole yellow card issue is seemingly an issue amongst all of the PL refs (even those with hair, who'd have thunk it).

What am I reading here?
1)what line of bald referees have we got? AT is the only current bald referee. Before are Roger East and Lee Mason (and Mason loved a red card) so I'm almost certain none of the way he goes about his games are to do with the fact he is tall and bald!!
2) you don't become a PL referee by accident. I also get a sense that UEFA hold AT in higher regard.
3) the whole yellow card issue is seemingly an issue amongst all of the PL refs (even those with hair, who'd have thunk it).
I thought the same about Webb, and I know I've had that discussion with someone on here before!

I'm not saying Taylor is a "bad" referee at all, I obviously understand how he came to work in the PL. But it's the suggestion that he's our best that I've always taken issue with - I think he's too shy with a red card and I think it's Oliver's ability to make that kind of big call that stands him out and should see AT regarded as a "decent PL referee" a tier below MO and no more.

(If anything, support from the FA and UEFA only supports my point - the idea that the governing bodies might prefer a referee who tends to avoid sending off the stars is not a suggestion I've just come up with now, it's a long-standing concept!)

And I'm not denying that the VAR resulting in a slightly greater tendency to go yellow isn't an issue that exists. I'm just saying that I think AT's tendency to avoid red whenever there's even the slightest sliver of doubt has existed since before VAR. Some referees take "management" too far and while I admit that linking it to the bald ones is a little tongue-in-cheek, we can ignore that pattern and my opinions on AT will remain the same.

1635161753756.png

A stunning amount of anti-bald rhetoric here!

On a serious note, I think the tendency to go yellow is a common theme across the current PL referees. VAR is bailing them out on most occasions, but it's worrying that there seems to be an inclination to always go yellow (even when red is the seemingly obvious decision).

Back