A&H

Man U v PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is all about wording though. I think there is a fundamental disagreement throughout the game as to what should result in a handling call. This play is a great example--a lot of people think it should not be a call because he did not intend that the ball hit his arm and a lot of people think it should be a handling call because he deliberately flung his body to block a shot and didn't keep his arm out of the way.

And VAR makes the whole controvert worse: without VAR, everyone can complain about what angle the ref saw etc., but with VAR everyone gets to see what happened from a variety of angles and speeds, which intensifies the criticism because we know what the R saw when he went to the monitor.
Probably very true......but that is no excuse for anyone to deliberately misinterpret the current law......see what I did there?.......

The Referee Store
They'd be wrong, as are you
I fully support your right to disagree with whoever you wish. However I struggle to understand how you can claim that the IFAB are wrong, when they are the organisation responsible for the LOTG. I personally am pleased at long last the correct application of the laws is happening. British audiences need to be educated in the interpretation of those laws.

By jumping in front of the shot and at the same time turning your back to the ball you are deliberately moving your arm towards the ball...
If you’re turning your back how can you be deliberately moving the arm towards the ball?

Not only am I completely thrown by the meaning of handball, I now have no idea what ‘clear and obvious’ means

If you’re turning your back how can you be deliberately moving the arm towards the ball?

Not only am I completely thrown by the meaning of handball, I now have no idea what ‘clear and obvious’ means
Turning your back is a deliberate act, and as the arm is part of that motion , that too is a deliberate act. Especially, as in this case the arm moves towards the ball. If the arm is not moving towards the ball deliberately, how did it arrive in that position at the moment of impact?

I fully support your right to disagree with whoever you wish. However I struggle to understand how you can claim that the IFAB are wrong, when they are the organisation responsible for the LOTG. I personally am pleased at long last the correct application of the laws is happening. British audiences need to be educated in the interpretation of those laws.
patience-grasshopper-i-teach-you-my-wise-ways.jpg
The law is fine, its the stupidly thought out variations of the interpretations that are wrong!! Madness!!

Please explain your rational that by turning away from something eg, NOT looking at something, you have made a conscious effort to DELIBERATELY hand ball something.... That one is lost on me and plenty of others on here too!!!

Turning your back is a deliberate act, and as the arm is part of that motion , that too is a deliberate act. Especially, as in this case the arm moves towards the ball. If the arm is not moving towards the ball deliberately, how did it arrive in that position at the moment of impact?
I dont see why you’re seperating the first line of the law and just focusing on the first part. The law is the deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with hand or arm. Not the player makes a deliberate act, then the ball accidently hits their arm or hand.

If he’s standing completely still with his arms by his sides, and the striker smashes it into his arm from a yard away, would you give a penalty because he’s deliberately standing still?

I dont see why you’re seperating the first line of the law and just focusing on the first part. The law is the deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with hand or arm. Not the player makes a deliberate act, then the ball accidently hits their arm or hand.

If he’s standing completely still with his arms by his sides, and the striker smashes it into his arm from a yard away, would you give a penalty because he’s deliberately standing still?
The defender deliberately turns into not away from the ball from a reasonable distance away from the ball for him to know exactly what he is doing.

The defender deliberately turns into not away from the ball from a reasonable distance away from the ball for him to know exactly what he is doing.
I’ve said this a few pages back but if you go outside, run and twist in the air look to see where your arms naturally end up. It won’t be different to the defender

Gentlemen, we are going round in circles. We all have our own interpretation of this incident, and as is evident we are all firm believers in our own views. We shall have to agree to disagree. But, I will say this. Expect penalties to be awarded for this situation if it happens in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back