A&H

MAN U - ARS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Not that much to fuss about early on, easy foul after VAR. Just wanted to say that I like Tierney's newly accepted baldness
Called it real time. The foul creates the chance so you just have to bring that back.

Baldiness is the way forwards.

Of course it's a foul but it's also the exact type of foul that Premier League refs have been letting go this entire season in the name of letting things flow and mostly getting praised by pundits and fans for that.

So what is it Schrodingers Foul? It's not a foul until a goal is scored then it is?

If only PL referees grew a pair and did something about the in their face dissent! Both teams guilty of it so far.

Not the cleverest of challenges by Sambi on Fernandes.

This was more of a foul for me a few years back at Old Trafford that wasn’t given. Think there is a home team influence on occasion!

1662308610803.jpeg

To emphasize @socal lurker ’s point, here are two examples of “doing what the bosses tell you to do”.

1) France has had close to 30 red cards this season. Many of these are for serious foul play. It’s clear that the league has said “clamp
down on dangerous challenges, and we will back you.” You may or may not like it, but it’s clear that the referees are being trained to stamp this out.

2) In MLS this year, there has been a directive to caution tactics to delay restarts (like kicking the ball away) even if it means a 2CT send off. MLS and PRO have also emphasized cautions for SPA fouls. We are seeing these cautioned pretty regularly in the US this year.

If PGMOL and the EPL wanted to stamp out dissent, we would see it happen. It’s clear that referees are being instructed to just let it go.

Of course it's a foul but it's also the exact type of foul that Premier League refs have been letting go this entire season in the name of letting things flow and mostly getting praised by pundits and fans for that.

So what is it Schrodingers Foul? It's not a foul until a goal is scored then it is?
I thought the same thing.
If there was no VAR, this would have been a goal, and entirely consistent with the foul tolerance in the EPL this season.
On one hand, OK, VAR was right, but on the other hand, I'd be happier without it.
We were promised no re-refereeing. This was text book re-refereeing!

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I picked this one. Taylor gets one of the marquee games of the week in the CL and gets paired with German VARs. That tells you more about how PL VAR is viewed than any ranting on MOTD.

I am well aware and it's blatantly obvious referees have been instructed to ignore it, I have been watching footy long enough to know that. However I genuinely believe if referees took a collective stance that they are not going to take the crap anymore, their paymasters would have no choice but to back them. A few weeks of mass bookings for dissent would soon get the message across and player behaviour would soon change. Rugby and cricket don't have the same issues with dissent as football because there is a zero tolerance approach with hefty fines for those who do cross the line, no reason whatsoever why football can't do the same!

This was called in France within a few minutes of this tackle.

https://streamja.com/JK6Z4
That's not a red card though. Well, it never has been in any game I've ever seen on these shores, except in slow motion and freeze frames of course.
I'm just back from 2 weeks in France. They didn't show much EPL thankfully. Whilst the French VAR was a bit slicker/quicker, they also interfered too much from what I saw. Certainly C&O didn't seem to be their remit either

Maybe our views on VAR will narrow once our Baboon is out the way. I bloody hope so

Last edited:
I am well aware and it's blatantly obvious referees have been instructed to ignore it, I have been watching footy long enough to know that. However I genuinely believe if referees took a collective stance that they are not going to take the crap anymore, their paymasters would have no choice but to back them. A few weeks of mass bookings for dissent would soon get the message across and player behaviour would soon change. Rugby and cricket don't have the same issues with dissent as football because there is a zero tolerance approach with hefty fines for those who do cross the line, no reason whatsoever why football can't do the same!
I’d love for this to happen. Just convince the PL owners who would be paying their players on suspension to go along with it.

I’d love for this to happen. Just convince the PL owners who would be paying their players on suspension to go along with it.
Yes, there's an obvious conflict of interests that the vast majority of people who watch football wouldn't perceive
The PGMOL Refs are employed to do as they're told, not what the LOTG mandate. Which is why the rest of the Pyramid is buggered, because we're working to completely different agendas (absurdly, lots of different agendas depending on the Pyramid level)

Yes, there's an obvious conflict of interests that the vast majority of people who watch football wouldn't perceive
The PGMOL Refs are employed to do as they're told, not what the LOTG mandate. Which is why the rest of the Pyramid is buggered, because we're working to completely different agendas (absurdly, lots of different agendas depending on the Pyramid level)
Don't kid yourself it is just in England, it is a problem worldwide, there are very few dissent cautions, and hardly any OFFINABUS red cards, in any of the top divisions across the World. It would need a directive from FIFA to even start to make a dent, and there is no way that is going to happen.

I'm very much with you on this one
Once again, VAR had no place getting involved in this incident, even though it was 'probably' a foul

A fundamental problem at the heart of the weekend's problem, is determining 'Clear & Obvious' is much more subjective than determining whether something is a foul tackle or hand ball or anything else. Therefore, VAR's involvement with this Arsenal FT is at the root of what led to the Newcastle & West Ham debacles. The bar for VAR interference is way too low. The money they've spent on Shockley Park and all that technology in front of them, must weigh heavily. They're obviously compelled to use it at every opportunity, maybe it's even a psychological thing. It's very difficult to sit and watch for a kettle to boil, but that's what they need to do. Patience... patience and more patience, and the times will inevitably come when VAR will contribute value to the game, rather than dominate it with endless controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back