A&H

Man City Vs Real Madrid

• Thread starter Deleted member 2447
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2447

I hear Real is looking to sign Tom Daley as their new diving coach.
Seriously, I think the referee bottled several clear YC for blatant dive with minimal or zero contact in key areas of the pitch and close to himself in one critical moment in the 2nd half, largely on one player for whom it would have (twice) meant a second YC offence. Thoughts?

A&H International
Can’t remember the timing as I was only glancing on the match, but there was one in the box which was so obviously a dive and the ref saw it as he didn’t give a penalty and I was shocked he didn’t book him.
I imagine it happened during the rest of the match too.

One was by a player already on a yellow. The dive was recognised as such and not sanctioned. Very disappointing.

Thought it a poor all round performance too, missing several clear fouls on city players in excellent positions but the one on stones, edge of the box, was the worst.

Seemed impossible to get a yellow for persistent (carvajal and rodri) though rodri was penalised for one of the dives

missed the obvious caution (maybe more) for bernado as well for studs down the calf of the Madrid player in the first half

Last edited:
Somewhat pot calling the kettle black as I try not to reach for my pocket if I can, but there were a number of missed cautions for a range of infringements, quite a few stopping promising attacks for example.

To be fair the ref was consistent in his high threshold though, which deserves some credit!

I hear Real is looking to sign Tom Daley as their new diving coach.
Seriously, I think the referee bottled several clear YC for blatant dive with minimal or zero contact in key areas of the pitch and close to himself in one critical moment in the 2nd half, largely on one player for whom it would have (twice) meant a second YC offence. Thoughts?
Ref team not bothered about foul throws either. You wouldn't get away with those foot off the ground throws in an under 9s game.

I was stunned by how crazy his throws looked with one leg near horizontal.

Was the ball out for the goal?
Some rather amusing discussions on social media around this, including VAR should have looked at it (yes, let’s ignore the fact we don’t have sideline cameras or technology), and even one TV company inventing their own hawkeye graphic

IMG_7882.jpeg

Slightly misleading camera angle as well, to truly gauge if in or out the line should be straight up from viewpoint?

IMG_7883.jpeg

I was stunned by how crazy his throws looked with one leg near horizontal.

Was the ball out for the goal?
definitely looked it in real time

Dale says that the fact that real gained possession and then lost it reset the phase of play and therefore wouldn't have been checked anyway though

Players are so good at training it is virtually impossible to be 100% certain real time, and you need to be 100% certain as you are effectively accusing them of cheating. Yes, we can watch it on TV and say it was a dive, but a bit more pressure real time at the ground with one look.

I'd like to see retrospective action taken against players who successfully dive on the pitch to obtain a free kick.

Retrospective yellow card or some other form of cumulative fine/ban...either way a part of the game we want to improve (or should want to).
Completely agree, I've said this for years. Charge them and ban for 1 game for a first offence, 2 the second time, 4 the 3rd time, 8 games the 4th time, and so on. That is the only chance of eradicating it.

Dale says that the fact that real gained possession and then lost it reset the phase of play and therefore wouldn't have been checked anyway though
This is correct. The VAR can only look back to the start of the attacking phase of play.

Reactions: es1
Apart from the refereeing community, is anyone talking about the referee? High threshold yes, kept 11 v 11, kept a low profile, ignored some textbook yellow card opportunities. Grealish being cannoned into the advertising boards, (noting the serious injury to the Bath City player) not one for football to be aware of yet, play acting from the Grealish retaliation being ignored.

I thought the refereeing was way too lenient.
Even given the ”no cards world cup” we expect the biggest games of the season to be refereed with precision by the book. IMHO this wasn’t. It just wasn’t refereed according to the LotG as I understand them.

Grealish into the advertising was the worst moment for the officials.

Back