A&H

Man City vs Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taylor showed why he's developed into an elite ref with this one. When you get to the absolute top and do major finals, your job is to help put on a show as much as possible. This was arguably the 3rd biggest football match in the world in 2022 after the future CL and WC final. After this match, everyone was talking about the two best clubs in the world in the best league playing out what some pundits called one of the highest levels ever played in a football match. No one is talking about Taylor which means he did his job to absolute perfection. No one at PGMOL will be calling him out for incorrect decisions on SPA and reckless challenges.

It doesn't mean we get to do this on our weekend whistles, but it for Taylor it did.

The Referee Store
It's good, smart management, to coach players when to take a yellow - and if a player like Thiago is lucky enough not to get a yellow when he should (for the SPA only, your claim about the first one being dangerous is rubbish obviously), then it's smart to use that extra life and do another one if needed.

PL football is about marginal gains, Pep training his players about when to take a smart yellow to save a dangerous chance is part of the game and part of what makes him a top manager.
Exactly. Tactical fouls, are, have been, and always will be part of the game.

Annoying when subjected to it.
Saka V Italy, prime example.. That potentially was a defining moment in Italy having the chance to beat us on Pens.

If I was Italian, Chiellini, if he hasn't already, achieves hero status.

And so long as referees act upon it and give the correct sanctions I have no problem with it.

Saka V Italy, prime example.. That potentially was a defining moment in Italy having the chance to beat us on Pens.

I hate this sort of challenge, and of course with the context I hated this one even more, but it was genius by Chiellini. A foul that helps win a country the Euro’s.

As for the game, I didn’t watch it. I’m a United fan and we’ve had enough misery this season without watching these two have a title battle. Despite the media’s “agenda” against City, they give them a lot of praise it has to be said. A

But from the highlights I saw, Fabinho and Thiago could have been reds. But, neither are clear cut. And in this sort of game, it’s all about management. I’m not criticising any ref who goes red but I’m not criticising any ref who goes yellow either.

The offside is fact though. Idk what you know who is trying to imply with that screenshot. I’m starting to think we all go to referee meetings and talk about how much we dislike Man City. City commit a lot of tactical fouls, this is not media agenda, this is clear fact. As a rival fan I hate it but I admire how good they are at getting away with it. It is brilliant and important skill.

Exactly. Tactical fouls, are, have been, and always will be part of the game.

And so long as referees act upon it and give the correct sanctions I have no problem with it.
Exactly - as referees, it's valid to say that we maybe think AT missed a yellow he should have given, and point to the subsequent tackle he did get booked for as a consequence of a poor initial refereeing decision. That's watching a game with our referees hat on and taking useful examples to improve our own decision making.

I've said before that I'm not a huge AT fan generally, and a major part of why that's the case is that I think he always leans a little too far into "management", unlike MO who I think balances on that wire better. Missing a yellow here is a great example of why I struggle to see him as one of Europe's very best officials - but that's all it is, no need to dive into conspiracies about who he might secretly support!

Never saw City v Liverpool but on tactical fouls, perfectly fine, and, something for a referee to get his teeth into.

Most famous example be Utd under Fergie, Neville has a kick, Keane has a kick, Stam has a kick, May has a kick, all fouls but not stinking of yellow cards in isolation, 15 mins in and the same dangerman been fouled 5 times by 5 diff players..... a daunting task for the referee.

Nobody wants to see limbs, equally nobody likes the euro final stretchy of stretchiest yellows. Just as one could say the backpass rule was well used by late 70s mid 80s Liverpool, it does seem City are prone to highly skilled tactical fouls. Really nothing to see here other than tactics. Could be worse and more dangerous, could be Wimbledon mid 80s. Nasty

it's a perfectly legitimate tactic and teams do it in the full knowledge a yellow will almost certainly follow. i'd advocate for sin bins to be brought in for this though as it's a part of the game i'd love to get rid of and sin bins would add an extra dynamic over the threat of a yellow card

Multiple people have agreed the first is a missed yellow. But the point is, in no way does that mean he should have been sent off - the second tackle probably doesn't happen. Blame the referee for that, sure - in fact if you scroll up 4 posts from yours, you'll find me doing exactly that. But saying a referee made a mistake is very different from counting him among Liverpool players, surely you see that?
It didn't stop the third SPA. And again, too much made of a quip without a smiley face.

I think you've been listening to the Fans' Forum stuff about City and tactical fouls, and the untrue allegation that the manager encourages dangerous tackles.

It was City players being kicked off the park (actually it was a bit reminiscent of 80s Wimbledon).

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that it was OK because although we'd all be marked down for not showing cards for cautionable offences, it's fine in the EPL because the authorities don't want players sent off as it would spoil the show.

I think another poster put it perfect, huge global game passes without anyone ( outside referee circles) noticing the referee

thats his job, and, he done it.

its why he will either get WC opener or min semi, subject to Englands stay in the tournament obv

It didn't stop the third SPA. And again, too much made of a quip without a smiley face.
The "third SPA" in that video is a foul by the City player, which is what causes Thiago to go into KdB. This is getting past the point where anyone can possibly believe you're still talking in good faith here.

I think another poster put it perfect, huge global game passes without anyone ( outside referee circles) noticing the referee

thats his job, and, he done it.

its why he will either get WC opener or min semi, subject to Englands stay in the tournament obv
Hmm Swedish/Finnish Viaplay covered the quick DFK leading to goal taken from the wrong place. It says here. According to my sources. ;)

Hmm Swedish/Finnish Viaplay covered the quick DFK leading to goal taken from the wrong place. It says here. According to my sources. ;)

an incident which bothered the other team so much they never batted an eyelid

summing up perfectly the only obvious critics are from referees themselves!

A: Referee are the only critics

S: Well here's an example of a broadcaster also pointing out this is a problem

A: Yes, exactly as I said, referees are the only critics

??????

The "third SPA" in that video is a foul by the City player, which is what causes Thiago to go into KdB. This is getting past the point where anyone can possibly believe you're still talking in good faith here.
Hmmm... It's not the nudge that causes Thiago to go into KdB. And Jesus could claim a penalty for a similar nudge by Van Dyke.

Anyway, are we all agreed that it was an awful decision not to book Thiago for the (first) C&O SPA? Or is that what passes for game management in the PGMOL handbook?

You can argue then that had Thiago been booked he wouldn't have done the second YC offence (the one he was booked for) - but it didn't stop Milner getting a second yellow at Anfield (oh wait, he didn't...). And (if you must) then argue that Tiago's chopping down De Bruyne was because he'd been pushed.

It's been fun, but I think I'll quit now - City about to get the Atletico treatment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back