A&H

Man City vs Arsenal

NorthLondonRef

Didn't see a thread for this but did anyone see Aguero's slight nudge or touch on Mustafi for City's first goal? I don't think it was a foul. I think Mustafi was trying to buy a foul after he positioned himself in front of Aguero. Couple of the excuse boys on the Arsenal forum I visit are of course blaming the loss on that incident and the supposed foul. Opinions?

The Referee Store
Not a foul at all, Mustafi backs into Aguero then claims he's been fouled. Outstrengthed, nothing more

Never a foul in a month of Sunday's, absolutely pathetic defending which pretty much summed up Arsenal's "performance" from start to finish.

Agree with others, no way is that a foul and rather is rank bad defending. He knows, or he should know, that Aguero can't be offside from a goal kick, so why he isn't goal side of him is a mystery. Also basic coaching guidelines is that you always have at least one more defender than attackers back at attacking set pieces, yet they'd left Aguero completely on his own until Mustafi's poor attempts to get back

Whilst i dont think there was enough in it for a foul, Aguero does tread a fine line. The slow mo shows him clearly looking at mustafi and initiating the minor contact that occurred. He almost puts himself in the way of Mustafi who is travelling backwards as opposed to just being in the way. Had the referee awarded a foul I wouldnt of neccessarily been up in arms about it.
As others have said though it is poor defending, should be goal side and then this isnt even a talking point.

I had to laugh, I was passed a Sales call today asking for me by name. It was from Man City corporate asking if I’d be interested in taking customers to the Council House. I’ve a business registered in Leigh so I suppose they were ringing local businesses

Offside for the second goal?

Man City player stood directly in front of Ospina.......

Not for me, at no point did he block Ospina's vision or preventing him from playing the ball. The fact that he was moving the right to save the shot would back that up, and by the time Kompany touches it he certainly can't be said to be blocking his view at all. If Sane had made any kind of movement I would be more interested in offside, but he was stood pretty much still. Also not a peep from Ospina, and you can bet your life if his view was blocked he would be letting everyone know.

Plus, VAR reviewed it and said no offside, so we know it must have been correct ... ;)

Isn't it irrelevant where Sane was standing before Kompany took the shot. Gundogan, the player who had the first "shot" might of meant it as a shot but the ball wasn't going on target and it was going into the crowd of players, more like a cross or a pass. Can a player be offside for "allegedly" obscuring the view of the goalkeeper on a cross or a pass when he can't get to the ball. Isn't it a different phase when Kompany redirects the ball towards goal? Sane wasn't obscuring the view of Ospina when Kompany had the shot on goal but he was possibly affecting Ospina's view when the ball was travelling to Kompany.

As an Arsenal fan who attended the game, I don't have one complaint on either decision. I do however have a bone to pick with Wilshere's comments just now on social media feeling sorry for himself and the team and blaming both decisions. I like Jack, but some want him as captain. Tony Adams or Patrick Vieira would have locked Mustafi in a room and clobbered him with their boots until he learnt what goalside meant.

" Hard to put into words my emotions about yesterday. City are a good team and deserved to win yesterday. Alot of people have had thier say on us and we have to accept cristism when we lose. That being said i can't accept some of the decisions that went against us yesterday. What ever you say about the first goal, its a foul. The second goal is offside. There should have been a second yellow in the first half. Yes this happens in football but its still hard to accept. And people will say we are looking for excuses but these are facts. Anyway we need to respond, starting on thursday. Thanks to all the gooners for your support and trust me we feel the same but we need to stick together

I totally agree with NorthLondonRef. I'm also an Arsenal fan, have no problem with the decisions on the day, and am embarrassed by Wilshere's tweet. Somebody needs to get him off twitter.

Whilst i dont think there was enough in it for a foul, Aguero does tread a fine line. The slow mo shows him clearly looking at mustafi and initiating the minor contact that occurred. He almost puts himself in the way of Mustafi who is travelling backwards as opposed to just being in the way. Had the referee awarded a foul I wouldnt of neccessarily been up in arms about it.
As others have said though it is poor defending, should be goal side and then this isnt even a talking point.

Couldn’t have put it better myself.
The slow mo on Aguero’s eyes glancing at Mustafi thinking I’m setting u right up here son was priceless.

Mustafi could really have let the fireworks off by going down with the contact that may have got him off the hook, ref might have brought it.

But I’m glad the goal stood purely for Aguero’s quick thinking.

I missed this game, the League Cup has never floated my boat really, not the best of games by most accounts and I’m getting bored with the Wenger in / our scenario. If I was an Arsenal fan I’d be careful what I wished for!

Hi
Cannot be offside. Kompany was onside so Sane's position is irrelevant. If the shot went in directly close to Sane then Sane's position might be a factor. Sane had no effect whatsoever on the Kompany kick. Put it like this. If Gundogan had passed the ball to Kompany would offside be even considered because of a player in an offside who is not interfering with play? Not a hope so a shot is no different.

Back