A&H

Man City V Tottenham (20/04)

Michael Oliver has a fine record of ignoring early nail on cautions. Match control (and his career) have always been more important than enforcing the laws of the game.
I see many refs at lower levels copying this trait where anything goes first 20/30

He took a gamble in letting things go early on, and it worked as he had complete control of the game even when it was getting heated towards the end (Gary Neville praised him for this).

There's a competency in match control for levels 4 to 2B which is below, and I would argue he correctly followed that and managed the game pretty much perfectly.

Recognition of the nature of the match from the start, correct attitude adopted from the beginning.

The Referee Store
He took a gamble in letting things go early on, and it worked as he had complete control of the game even when it was getting heated towards the end (Gary Neville praised him for this).

There's a competency in match control for levels 4 to 2B which is below, and I would argue he correctly followed that and managed the game pretty much perfectly.

Recognition of the nature of the match from the start, correct attitude adopted from the beginning.
I'm a big MO and AT fan, but this specific competency seems to be the only one that matters in the pro game. Nothing that happens at the top is helpful to us at grass roots

I'm a big MO and AT fan, but this specific competency seems to be the only one that matters in the pro game. Nothing that happens at the top is helpful to us at grass roots

There are lots of competencies at lower levels that expect the referee to manage the game, and observers are likely to pull them up if they caution too early and that then causes them a problem, unless of course it is a nailed on mandatory caution. Examples include ...

Correctness, consistency and predictability in issuing cards; clear line from the beginning (not issuing cards too early for minor offences).

Immediate and appropriate reaction to a change in the nature of the match, by raising profile to avoid escalation.

Mutual Respect, acceptance and recognition from participants (players, team officials) - recognise the referee as the man in charge of the match - required personality on the field of play - natural authority.

Always in control, calm and refereeing with an appropriate profile required by the changing tempo of the match.

Able to anticipate what is going to happen next (reads the game), avoids running unnecessarily.

Early recognition of a potential threat that leads to prevention.

Effective discussions with players.

Develops and maintains positive relationships.

All of those relate at least in some way to game management. These days the authorities don't want to see referees hiding behind cards and cautioning unnecessarily when things could be managed.

Back