A&H

LOTG Question

Kes

I'll Decide ...
From the LOTG test website:

Is it required in all cases to take a kick-off after a valid goal is scored?

If the answer is no, (which it is according to the software) would any referee on here really allow a goal to be scored and then blow for full time straight after it's been scored? :)

The Referee Store
Interesting question. If the full time of the match had elapsed, why would you have a further kick off? (After a goal).

That said, I have never had this situation arise. :) can't remember anything in the LOTG which says there has to be a kick off. can't be assed to check, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!

Had this situation 4 times or so in my refereeing journey, twice this season already and only once involved a penalty.

If as referee you decide to allow "one last attack" when your watch says time is up, ball ends up in the back of the net from said "last attack", no need for the restart what so ever.

Can't think of specific examples, but have seen it a few times at professional level, international and domestically.

Don't the LOTG stipulate that the ball has to be in play in order for the ref to blow for full time? I know we constantly see full time being blown when the ball is out of play at the top level but is that actually correct? :)

From the LOTG test website:

Is it required in all cases to take a kick-off after a valid goal is scored?

If the answer is no, (which it is according to the software) would any referee on here really allow a goal to be scored and then blow for full time straight after it's been scored? :)

The only reason most referees allow the kickoff is to try and avoid complaints of just waiting until they scored. The argument makes no sense, nor does the fact that this extra action seems to nullify it. It's one of those things that's just recommended in practice, because it shouldn't have any impact upon the match allowing the KO.....although what if they launched a very quick attack?
But definitely not required.

Indeed Capn, there's an argument to both sides...

"Ref, you only waited until they scored, you cost us the game" vs adding more time to allow the "ceremonial" kick off...

Do you blow when they first kick the ball at kick off? (Fairly pointless having the kick off then), when are on the attack from kick off, cue "That's blatantly unfair ref, you didn't blow when they were on the attack" complaints or allow the counter attack to play out, possibly resulting in another goal. Cue "WTF ref, adding on extra time to allow them to get back into the game". By this time you are well over time. Do you then allow another pointless "ceremonial"?

As some would say, "Bring the game to it's natural conclusion". Time up and ball in the back of the net? Bring the game to it's natural conclusion! :)

Thanks for all the responses chaps (and the definitive answer from Scotty). I've now been educated. :)

When a goal was scored just before time was up and the ball was not back at the centre spot before time elapsed, I used to have no problem in blowing the final whistle. I did it several times and never had any complaints. You don't have to stop the watch just because the conceding team is dawdling and taking too much time getting the ball back to the middle.

Ah, this references one of my pet hates. Personally I don't even wait for a goal kick to be taken if time is up - I've never understood the point of waiting for everyone to move into position when the kick is in the air and then stopping the game. Also, what if the keeper shanks the kick - do you stop at that point or let that further attack reach a conclusion?

Personally I wait for the keeper to retrieve the ball (so it's not left in a hedge somewhere) then call time. Similarly I wouldn't even consider starting a kick off after a goal.

*cough* I did, and here's the extract from my assessment from the other week - L6 - 5:

"End of first half whistle sounded while players were retreating from goal celebrations – would recommend not doing so to show celebration cannot form part of time wasting;"

So, whilst not my anwer, it is the answer from an assessor, who has unbeknown to them, broached the subject you have raised, exactly as I expereienced it during a game.

So, now what......

Fair enough, if the celebrations were somehow holding up the game (if for instance, the goalscorer and/or team mates have run off the pitch to celebrate or are celebrating on the pitch in the opponent's half) and you are having to wait for them to get back into position. But if the scorer and team mates have moved promptly back into their half without wasting any time and normal time plus any stoppage time has fully elapsed before the conceding team have got the ball back to the centre spot, I don't see why you would stop the watch and allow extra stoppage time for that.

I believe many years ago refs were advised to restart the game so fans knew that a goal had actually been scored. I think this was advised when (not sure which teams ) played, the fans of the home team thought they had won the game when the ball went into the goal. The referee blew the final whistle and ended the game. Thinking the goal stood the fans left, when in fact the referee had disallowed the goal and the game ended as a draw.
Even thou the ball doesn't have to be in play to end the game it stops any confusion.
So I have been told.

I believe many years ago refs were advised to restart the game so fans knew that a goal had actually been scored. I think this was advised when (not sure which teams ) played, the fans of the home team thought they had won the game when the ball went into the goal. The referee blew the final whistle and ended the game. Thinking the goal stood the fans left, when in fact the referee had disallowed the goal and the game ended as a draw.
Even thou the ball doesn't have to be in play to end the game it stops any confusion.
So I have been told.
When you say "refs were advised" - which refs are you referring to and who was advising them? I have not come across any such advice and I am almost 100% sure it was never in any FIFA or IFAB circular, nor was it in any edition of the Laws of the Game. Of course, if you have a documented source for this advice, I'd be interested to see it.

When you say "refs were advised" - which refs are you referring to and who was advising them? I have not come across any such advice and I am almost 100% sure it was never in any FIFA or IFAB circular, nor was it in any edition of the Laws of the Game. Of course, if you have a documented source for this advice, I'd be interested to see it.
I believe it was a general piece of advice given, not a must do thing,
nothing official just something I was told. Just like sometimes you see a referee blow for full time when a player already booked makes another foul which would lead to another caution in the final seconds of a match.

*cough* I did, and here's the extract from my assessment from the other week - L6 - 5:

"End of first half whistle sounded while players were retreating from goal celebrations – would recommend not doing so to show celebration cannot form part of time wasting;"

So, whilst not my anwer, it is the answer from an assessor, who has unbeknown to them, broached the subject you have raised, exactly as I expereienced it during a game.

So, now what......

It's a fair point - I hadn't even considered that. I still think you're then in the dilemma of taking the kick-off and then, if there's a sudden attack (or even a shot from half-way) having to see how that goes...you could be there until the sun goes down...!! ;)

It's a fair point - I hadn't even considered that. I still think you're then in the dilemma of taking the kick-off and then, if there's a sudden attack (or even a shot from half-way) having to see how that goes...you could be there until the sun goes down...!! ;)
The referee in the Chelsea Everton game allowed a further 80-90 seconds after the end of added time due to evertons prolonged celebrations at the perceived end of time. They also got caught out at Bournemouth too same thing.

What do you do if a penalty is awarded in the last second of the game, the ball rebounds off of either the post or keeper (it doesn't matter) and then they score the rebound. Do you disallow the goal because the original kick was taken or do you allow the goal? Same with free kick. What do you do?

Back