A&H

Liverpool vs Wolves

Allowing the Salah goal to stand was disgraceful
Maybe PGMOL Officials (who was the VAR?) should spend some of their full-time employment reading IFAB circulars
In certain circumstances (like those encountered in this game), VAR is leading us down the rabbit-hole of replaying games because of this sorta nonsense

Reactions: Mac
The Referee Store
BBC / ITV / Sky / BT / Amazon, don't film the games, they use a TV production company. The broadcasters have their own commentators and presenter and and pundits in the studio, but they don't do the filming.
There will also be minimum Host Broadcast standards re number of cameras though - that's down to the FA to specify in the rights contract.

It IS up to the rights holders - the broadcasters to organise the production company though.

Some do hand the whole thing over to independents, but most, BBC and ITV certainly, still produce the programmes themselves.

This picture (below) is doing the rounds from the Mirror correspondent.

Commentator said they didn't have the angles which doesn't surprise me. Another VAR mess up. I suppose we will have to wait for 4 months for them to come out and admit it like the 6 they got wrong in the prem?

It would be nice for them to say, sorry, we screwed up, as of next week, all stadiums with VAR will have the entire pitch covered. I'd also like to see the penalty area lines have cameras pointing along them, this would help for in/out penalty area decisions.
View attachment 6284
Money!!!!!!! You're asking broadcasters to just blow their budgets there!

Maybe PGMOL Officials (who was the VAR?) should spend some of their full-time employment reading IFAB circulars
In certain circumstances (like those encountered in this game), VAR is leading us down the rabbit-hole of replaying games because of this sorta nonsense
I get you disagree with the law - but under the law, surely that was the correct decision?

That's not a deflection, he's clearly played the ball there?

Is it time for IFAB to change the offside law to, ‘you cannot be offside if the ball is played backwards’. By definition being ahead of the ball i.e. offside, you haven’t had an advantage, arguably a disadvantage as if you had been onside you could have collected the ball quicker. Armchair football fan sort of expect/believes this is the case anyway.

This picture (below) is doing the rounds from the Mirror correspondent.

Commentator said they didn't have the angles which doesn't surprise me. Another VAR mess up. I suppose we will have to wait for 4 months for them to come out and admit it like the 6 they got wrong in the prem?

It would be nice for them to say, sorry, we screwed up, as of next week, all stadiums with VAR will have the entire pitch covered. I'd also like to see the penalty area lines have cameras pointing along them, this would help for in/out penalty area decisions.
If anyone thinks that's offside, I see can see why Rishi Sunak wants us to do more maths.

Is it time for IFAB to change the offside law to, ‘you cannot be offside if the ball is played backwards’. By definition being ahead of the ball i.e. offside, you haven’t had an advantage, arguably a disadvantage as if you had been onside you could have collected the ball quicker. Armchair football fan sort of expect/believes this is the case anyway.
AR would still have to be directly in line to judge a backward pass.

I am so confused, if this happens in our match next Saturday, what do we give the Celtic Offside or the Liverpool Onside? I can’t distinguish a difference? Help
That's clearly a deliberate header gone wrong.

Distinguishing between a deliberate header and a deflection (as in the Salah goal) is where any consistency can go out of the window, and no amount of "secret IFAB knowledge" will stop the inconsistency.

Some do hand the whole thing over to independents, but most, BBC and ITV certainly, still produce the programmes themselves.
The reason I said that is I've seen staff that definitely work for Premier League Productions pitch side on BBC and ITV games. Perhaps they are freelance though.

Dale Johnson’s VAR review: ‘It's a controversial decision, and goes right to the heart of what is a "deliberate play" by a defender. There is no doubt Salah is in an offside position, but if the officials judge Toti's actions to be a "deliberate play", Salah cannot be penalised or offside.

In short, a "deliberate play" only applies when a defender has control over where the ball goes. There are many factors which are taken into account, and an attempted header is judged more in favour of the defender than a kick. This is because there is, generally, less control in heading a ball.

If a defender has to stretch or jump to head the ball, this is an extra layer for determining that it's not a "deliberate play".

Dean decided not to intervene in the on-field decision to allow the goal. However. we are likely to see similar instances where a goal is disallowed.

It's a hugely subjective area of offside, and Wolves can consider themselves very unfortunate to have conceded this goal too.’

On this definition of guidance, Toti was certainly stretching to head the ball, as a consequence it didn’t go where his deliberate play intended. You couldn’t classify it as error by him, he tried to get the ball away from his goal, but the pace & height of the ball prevented him doing so.

The counter argument, all attempts to play the ball are deliberate, except when ball is hit at you & you have no time to react then you could safely say it’s a deflection.

You almost need something like ‘a deliberate play where it is expected you can comfortably play the ball’.

For any Referees on here who moan about pundits and players not knowing the Law, perhaps you should read the IFAB circular from the start of the season and watch the associated video examples. Whilst I accept that the Law is all over the place with frequent changes and also concede that these circulars are not disseminated effectively to Count Referees, it's not acceptable for any of us to not make it our business to know the latest IFAB interpretations; especially a big change like this one. Get yourselves on the IFAB site and get up to date. And ask PGMOL Officials to do the same
P155 POOR IMO

Reactions: Mac
I don't really get this comment. This is not about the factual part of offside but about the subjective part of if it was deliberate play. Even going by the discussions here the decision to call it deliberate play is not clearly and obviously wrong, if wrong at all. How can it be "disgraceful" to allow the goal to stand?

For what it's worth I think both controversial goals were fair goals.

I don't really get this comment. This is not about the factual part of offside but about the subjective part of if it was deliberate play. Even going by the discussions here the decision to call it deliberate play is not clearly and obviously wrong, if wrong at all. How can it be "disgraceful" to allow the goal to stand?

For what it's worth I think both controversial goals were fair goals.
You know (of all people) that in the video examples, there are numerous precedents of defenders with considerably more control of the ball (deliberate play) that are now expected to be called offside. It was a seismic change

Semi-automated uses cameras mounted under the roof of the stadium.
I'd imagine it'll be implemented in the EPL by next season, and would be available for fa cup games as well.

For any Referees on here who moan about pundits and players not knowing the Law, perhaps you should read the IFAB circular from the start of the season and watch the associated video examples. Whilst I accept that the Law is all over the place with frequent changes and also concede that these circulars are not disseminated effectively to Count Referees, it's not acceptable for any of us to not make it our business to know the latest IFAB interpretations; especially a big change like this one. Get yourselves on the IFAB site and get up to date. And ask PGMOL Officials to do the same
P155 POOR IMO
And if no-one tells you about the "secret knowledge"?

You mean all that waiting for Ross to send the hard copy of the Laws, and even that epic tome hasn't got everything we need?

The reason I said that is I've seen staff that definitely work for Premier League Productions pitch side on BBC and ITV games. Perhaps they are freelance though.
Possibly. As far as ITV goes Floor Managers and the technical staff will always be freelance, producers a mix of staff and freelance - editor of the show and director and senior producer usually staff.

Back