A&H

Liverpool vs newcastle

SM

The avuncular one
Phil dowd looking over weight and ponderous in his movement.

Not sure it was a penalty in the 10th minute but dowd would never know from his position 40 yards away directly behind the action.

The Referee Store
Dowd was nowhere near the play during any incident and was dreadful in most of his decisions today. Even as a Liverpool fan I would never have sent the second guy off, it wasn't a red card at all. Obviously none of us know what Shola said to Phil to get sent off but I imagine it was probably something to do with his incompetencies which were evident throughout the match. Hopefully he's not a PL ref for much longer.

The worst bit of it was him getting the yellow out of his pocket, putting it away and brandishing the red card...

The red tackle was an odd one - the follow through made the tackle look horrible, but of course it wasn't. I think he was told in his ear to brandish red for that.

Got to say, I disagree over his performance and I thought he actually had a good game in the end. He looks a little fat again and off the pace, but goddamn he has a good eye. Guessing he will bein the gym before the fitness tests again to shed his girth.

Don't be surprised if that was Dowd's last PL game. Think he's realised that it's time to call it a day. He's regained the weight he worked so hard to lose and looks like he's physically struggling in games.

I've not seen today's yet, but overall this season, I think he's been superb. Don't know if they've announced Championship final officials yet, but I think that could be his and it'll be a farewell too.

He needs to stop eating pies and keep training regularly! He looked lean and mean early in the season and like I said, he has a great eye.

To be fair, stevie g looked a lot more ponderous chasing Demba Ba's shadow a few weeks back...and he's a professional sportsman ;)

Lol he was... He is promising one more season... That's okay if he gets a new boot deal which is not slippery fall over boots

Don't be surprised if that was Dowd's last PL game. Think he's realised that it's time to call it a day. He's regained the weight he worked so hard to lose and looks like he's physically struggling in games.

I've not seen today's yet, but overall this season, I think he's been superb. Don't know if they've announced Championship final officials yet, but I think that could be his and it'll be a farewell too.

After seeing him in the flesh I certainly wouldn't say he has regained the weight. He is certainly nowhere near fat. He is getting older though and he's never been the fastest so wouldn't be surprised if he did decide to pack up.

After seeing him in the flesh I certainly wouldn't say he has regained the weight. He is certainly nowhere near fat. He is getting older though and he's never been the fastest so wouldn't be surprised if he did decide to pack up.
This isn't me guessing he's put the weight back on, this is 100% factual. Heard from PGMOL sports scientist who works with all SG refs. Phil hasn't put it all back on, but has put a lot back on, which is a great shame

Shocking display from Dowd.

Poor man management for the first dismissal, plain and simple wrong for the second.

You can see from Amoebi's reaction and Pardews explanation that it was pretty much as Pardew called it.
Over reaction from Dowd.

What do pardew and ameobi have in common? They both have a track record for being idiots.

I disagree about the first dismissal. good to see a player get his come up-pence for abusingthe ref. It should happen more often. As for the second, the player was dumb, what was he doing that with his legs for after the tackle?

This isn't me guessing he's put the weight back on, this is 100% factual. Heard from PGMOL sports scientist who works with all SG refs. Phil hasn't put it all back on, but has put a lot back on, which is a great shame
You could see his gut muffin topping his shorts.

Now I'm getting a reputation for being off the wall in my approach... but bear with me.

Ameobi red - Deliberate on his part, a la El-Hadji Diouf. Why? Named in the Nigeria squad for the World Cup. Teammates going to be on the beach in June. "If I get banned, I can take a longer break in July/August." Only got a yellow, so made sure it was a red, and done in such a way as to get sympathy (eg did not batter someone).

As for the second one, it actually looked worse on the reverse angle replay than in real time. My intial thought was he must have done him for excessive force, althiugh I had some sympathy with Pardew. On the reverse angle however both feet are off the ground. Not so long ago this was the cause celebré of the media and others demanding that this "plague" be driven out of the game and that any suggestion of a two footed tackle should be a red. Young lad, will learn I hope.

I wish every ref from the highest level down to grassroots would deal with offinabus it would make life so much easier for every one

Back