A&H

Liverpool Vs Man Utd

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Fernandes and Shaw lucky to avoid cards for late hacks.

Bit of a naughty raised foot follow through by McTominay.

United losing their heads as the game has got away from them. :eek:

The Referee Store
Fernandes with a push on the linesman. He HAS to be sent off and it’s unforgivable to let that go!
It's Bruno. He does what he wants and gets away with it each week without punishment. It's infuriating.

Bruno could have kicked the lino and they would have probably awarded united a penalty.

Wow! Did the United team leave at half time and give their kits to fans to play the 2nd half instead? :eek:

UTD fan here.

That 2nd half was an absolute disgrace from Man Utd. Fernandes is a shocking example to set for young supporters.

On a refereeing note, whilst Andy Madley clearly can't be blamed in any way for the loss, he really doesn't fill me with confidence. Didn't seem to have the authoritative presence of Taylor and Oliver. Strange appointment in my view.

Last edited:
I thought Andy Madley had a great game, can't really think of anything he got wrong.

Don't really think Fernandes pushed Adam Nunn, put his hands on him perhaps, but he just shrugged it off any a card of any kind would be totally unexpected at that level.

I thought Andy Madley had a great game, can't really think of anything he got wrong.

Don't really think Fernandes pushed Adam Nunn, put his hands on him perhaps, but he just shrugged it off any a card of any kind would be totally unexpected at that level.
Not often I disagree with you Rusty, but I think this is one scenario where the “at that level” argument doesn’t wash. No matter how minor the push, he’s placed his hand on and pushed an official, which should be a red at any level.

This stuff does find its way down the chain, and there’s kids/adults who‘ll go in to games next weekend thinking that it’s okay.

Why is it no expected?

Why is it no expected?
Because it’s something that’s been let go and has expanded over time. Alas, I think @RustyRef is right that the red would not be expected or supported. I also think thay it is outrageous that it is true. The NBA, also dealing with multi-millionaire players, has a pretty absolute “don’t touch the refs or you’re gone” rule. It’s embarrassing that soccer has departed from what was, once upon a time, a clear standard to putting up with way too much.

I have said this before. For referee abuse to stop the entire football community needs a mindset shift. Now if us referees think the Bruno decision is right because red is not expected, regardless of level, occasion etc, then that mindset shift stays in in deep..., so will us referees.

There was very little in it and I wouldn’t even call it a shove.

I think what is expected from a top referee is some kind of verbal warning. Fernandez obviously needed calming. For grassroots referees, the smart thing to do is take the sting out of the game when silly stuff like petulant hacks start. Yes, use cards, if warranted, but also pause the game, warn players - gives them a chance to calm down plus “sells” the next card;)

I thought Anthony didn’t deserve a YC early on.

Did Bruno have a penalty shout when Allison let the ball under his foot?

Good luck to Andy Madely. The good news is the match wasn’t about the officials. And more good news, let’s look at it that way, he has room to grow and be more authoritative.

The linesman should have gone to ground holding his back to prompt a VAR review
That's what Bruno would have done - and what the match expected.....

Imagine the twitter noise if the Assistant had gone down with that impact and Bruno had got a RC !!!!

That would never be more than a caution; clever AR not to draw attention to himself.
If this happened to you in your game the following would apply:

The player would be charged with:
96.2 Physical contact or attempted physical contact : examples include but are not limited to: pushing the Match Official, pulling the Match Official (or their clothing or equipment), barging or kicking the ball at a Match Official (causing no injury) and/or attempting to make physical contact with the Match Official (for example, attempting to strike, kick, butt, barge or kick the ball at the Match Official);

The potential punishment would be:
Physical contact or attempted physical contact:

101.3 suspension from all football activities for a period of 182 days, with a mandatory minimum of 112 days from all football and football activity.

101.4 a fine of up to £150.

That said - I think the only comparable precedent we have, which supports Rusty ref and your view is when Di Maria was shown a 2nd caution for grabbing Michael Oliver's shirt, and escaped further punishment other than the standard 1 game ban. Much of that could have been as he was only cautioned, but the expectations and associated punishments are totally different between grassroots and the elite game.

Back