A&H

Liverpool Vs Man Utd

Funny enough James, I have been in the situation stipulated by the LOTG.

2 players received lengthy bans, 204 days & 274 days. And that would have never been the outcome if my son wasn't filming the incidents. The fact I have submitted the videos in my report made the job easier for everyone, I guess.

Now, if I was an AR in amateur football and that happened to me, I would have flagged and explained to the referee what happened. It would be the referee's decision on what sanction to take in the moment, but I would still submit an extraordinary report on WGS.

Regarding Fernandes, let's see if the FA decides anything about that.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
If this happened to you in your game the following would apply:

The player would be charged with:
96.2 Physical contact or attempted physical contact : examples include but are not limited to: pushing the Match Official, pulling the Match Official (or their clothing or equipment), barging or kicking the ball at a Match Official (causing no injury) and/or attempting to make physical contact with the Match Official (for example, attempting to strike, kick, butt, barge or kick the ball at the Match Official);

The potential punishment would be:
Physical contact or attempted physical contact:

101.3 suspension from all football activities for a period of 182 days, with a mandatory minimum of 112 days from all football and football activity.

101.4 a fine of up to £150.

That said - I think the only comparable precedent we have, which supports Rusty ref and your view is when Di Maria was shown a 2nd caution for grabbing Michael Oliver's shirt, and escaped further punishment other than the standard 1 game ban. Much of that could have been as he was only cautioned, but the expectations and associated punishments are totally different between grassroots and the elite game.
Funny you use MO as the example, as he's also the referee that didn't hesitate to send Buffon off for a relatively light push. Of course, that was a European game, so the laws were different in that example.... ;)

The Di Canio push on Durkin wasn't exactly forceful Durkin was just off balance.

Last edited:
The Football Association will not be taking action over Sunday's incident at Anfield when Manchester United’s Bruno Fernandes appeared to make contact with the referee’s assistant, it is understood.

Fernandes, wearing the captain’s armband with Harry Maguire on the bench, put his hand into the back of the assistant referee in the 81st minute of United's 7-0 thrashing by Liverpool.

No formal action was taken against the Portugal midfielder at the time, and it is understood there will also be nothing from the FA, which can take retrospective disciplinary action if a player commits a sending-off offence that was not seen by the match officials.

Funny you use MO as the example, as he's also the referee that didn't hesitate to send Buffon off for a relatively light push. Of course, that was a European game, so the laws were different in that example.... ;)
Wasn't it for more what he said rather than any kind of physical contact?

If this happened to you in your game the following would apply:

The player would be charged with:
96.2 Physical contact or attempted physical contact : examples include but are not limited to: pushing the Match Official, pulling the Match Official (or their clothing or equipment), barging or kicking the ball at a Match Official (causing no injury) and/or attempting to make physical contact with the Match Official (for example, attempting to strike, kick, butt, barge or kick the ball at the Match Official);

The potential punishment would be:
Physical contact or attempted physical contact:

101.3 suspension from all football activities for a period of 182 days, with a mandatory minimum of 112 days from all football and football activity.

101.4 a fine of up to £150.

That said - I think the only comparable precedent we have, which supports Rusty ref and your view is when Di Maria was shown a 2nd caution for grabbing Michael Oliver's shirt, and escaped further punishment other than the standard 1 game ban. Much of that could have been as he was only cautioned, but the expectations and associated punishments are totally different between grassroots and the elite game.
David Prutton got a 10 game ban for pushing Alan Wiley, but that was way worse than what Fernandes did and actually was an assault. A very strange incident as he was always one of the more intelligent players, and has obviously go onto have a successful TV presenting career with Sky.

Agree regarding Fernandes not being punished but I'm disappointed in Dermot's views. It is almost saying you got the right to touch/shove back just because the assistant touched you first even though the assistants intention was to stop a potential flash point.

If he did that to the referee mind, I bet most of them would produce a red in that situation so he's also fortunate to an extent.

AR used exact same force on BF.
Whilst a player is probably walking if he does that to me I wouldn't grab a players arm when he is simple trying to retrieve a ball.

Any subsequent ban would be pretty hard to sell without that AR getting a holiday as well.

Also the referee that Joe Hart stuck his head on and did ..... Absolutely nothing.

AR used exact same force on BF.
Whilst a player is probably walking if he does that to me I wouldn't grab a players arm when he is simple trying to retrieve a ball.

Any subsequent ban would be pretty hard to sell without that AR getting a holiday as well.
don't think that the AR used anywhere near the same force. Fernandes pushed the assitant in the back and the assistant just about touched Fernandes.

So different from grassroots here in Australia. I ran up to have a word with a player (female) after a challenge. She said she thought I was going to attack her (!) and put her hand on my chest and pushed me back. I sent her off, but in my report fairly said that it was just a gentle shove without much force. She was banned for a year.

don't think that the AR used anywhere near the same force. Fernandes pushed the assitant in the back and the assistant just about touched Fernandes.

He physically grabbed his arm to restrain him. Either one of these actions in the office is ending with a meeting with HR.

Wasn't it for more what he said rather than any kind of physical contact?
Not so sure about that - he visibly reacts to the contact, then goes directly for the red. If it was for verbal, they were concurrent or an aggravating factor to the contact.

Back