The Ref Stop

Liverpool Vs Chelsea

Tosin Challenge

• Yellow

• Red

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think what @JamesL means is that if you say something is DOGSO outside the penalty area, it has to be a red card. If you don’t think it’s a red card, it would be SPA. It’s more of a terminology matter.

PS- I had no idea you aren’t a referee…….

That's fair enough if that what he meant. And it's where I sit on it, as a fan I see more of a DOGSO resulting in a red card when a player has the ball at his feet facing towards goal around 18 to maybe 30 yards out and gets tripped/pushed by a defender and clearly being the last man. I can't see how an attacker who has no control of the ball and it's still bouncing away from the attacker can be denied an obvious goal scoring chance.

When I see the comparisons online, you can understand why people think there is an inconsistency but on another day we may of seen some consistency as another VAR may not of intervened in the Arsenal game.

The Ref Stop
That's fair enough if that what he meant. And it's where I sit on it, as a fan I see more of a DOGSO resulting in a red card when a player has the ball at his feet facing towards goal around 18 to maybe 30 yards out and gets tripped/pushed by a defender and clearly being the last man. I can't see how an attacker who has no control of the ball and it's still bouncing away from the attacker can be denied an obvious goal scoring chance.

When I see the comparisons online, you can understand why people think there is an inconsistency but on another day we may of seen some consistency as another VAR may not of intervened in the Arsenal game.
Fans willl always see inconsistencies, despite no 2 incidents being the same

There is no set limit in the laws, so a DOGSO could happen 1 yard or 50 yards from goal.

All my opinion and I ain't a referee so personally would rather not have the sarcastic tone in your question.
Some of the comments here are light hearted and not intended to offend. Don't take them personal. We as referees learn that on the job 😉 but I guess it's a bit different if you are not a referee. ☺️

Why is there a poll on this thread asking whether it should be a yellow or a red and comparisons to yesterdays incident? I don't personally think it should be considered a DOGSO from that position when an attacker ain't even got the ball at his feet hence I think a yellow card is the right decision as I thought Rob Jones original decision was also correct.

All my opinion and I ain't a referee so personally would rather not have the sarcastic tone in your question.
James's point was one which referees understand, e. g. the examples he has given as to when a DOGSO can result in a caution, but to go back to your post you can't have a DOGSO yellow card on the halfway line. As this is a referees' forum, most readers will have understood James's post.

Exactly, one of those where it depends what was said by the ref. If the pen/caution was due to a reckless tackle (and that's how it looked to me), VAR should have stayed quiet. If the ref says the GK missed the ball then there's more of a case for an overturn. But what was the caution for originally in that world?
The caution is for DOGSO (penalty awarded) from a careless foul challenge, which then turned out not to be a foul challenge.

Last edited:
Back