The Ref Stop

Liverpool Vs Chelsea

Tosin Challenge

• Yellow

• Red

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Ref Stop
defender was closer than in arsenal match, so not the same as that, but jota would have been in front of both so subjective. Not enough to overturn on a review, but might have stayed red if given

that was a pen, but ive done it before, you give it because of the pressure of not having given the one before. Or I think at least. Not saying its the right thing to do. But it plays a part

another easy decision there

Never mind I said this before the touch was shown on the replay. still very clumsy. Good decision from Var to spot that

Tiniest touch on the ball sends the attacker spinning into the air. That's just a reckless challenge (hence the yellow) regardless of nominal contact on the ball.

Tiniest touch on the ball sends the attacker spinning into the air. That's just a reckless challenge (hence the yellow) regardless of nominal contact on the ball.
ive seen reckless challenges but they were ok because they had the slightest touch on the ball. That was one of those. Usually comes in the form of a more crunching challenge though in an old firm match

Once you use the term reckless, it has to be a foul and a caution. It’s either reckless or not.
Exactly, one of those where it depends what was said by the ref. If the pen/caution was due to a reckless tackle (and that's how it looked to me), VAR should have stayed quiet. If the ref says the GK missed the ball then there's more of a case for an overturn. But what was the caution for originally in that world?

The potential DOGSO was also different to the Arsenal one yesterday as the pass was curling much wider.

First penalty spot on, second one I thought was correct until I saw the final replay. I do think there is still an argument to say reckless and penalty despite the slight touch, but we all know that keepers tend to get a bit more leeway on what they can get away with.

Yellow card DOGSO is fine with me, I mean the tackle occured right on the half way line, how can it be classed as a DOGSO from that position?

The penalty overturn also looks spot on too me, bit of a messy tackle but he clearly gets the ball first and then went through the man but not in a reckless way imo where getting the ball could be a bit more irrelevant.

Making contact with the ball doesn't mean a challenge isn't careless/reckless/SFP. The problem is that we seem to have been conditioned to believe that is the case when forensically dissecting tackles on video. Can't say I'm surprised it was overturned, even if I believe it's the wrong decision (FWIW I'd say it's careless rather than reckless)

Yellow card DOGSO is fine with me, I mean the tackle occured right on the half way line, how can it be classed as a DOGSO from that position?

The penalty overturn also looks spot on too me, bit of a messy tackle but he clearly gets the ball first and then went through the man but not in a reckless way imo where getting the ball could be a bit more irrelevant.
Yellow card DOGSO on the halfway line... What is that now?
Either it is DOGSO and a red (because a penalty kick is not awarded) or its another offence. You cannot give a yellow card for DOGSO unless you award a penalty kick (or have played advantage and not penalised the offence that would have been DOGSO).

I thought first half JB had a great performance. Second half I thought he gave too many soft free kicks to Chelsea, while having a higher bar for fouls on Liverpool players.

Either it is DOGSO and a red (because a penalty kick is not awarded) or its another offence. You cannot give a yellow card for DOGSO unless you award a penalty kick (or have played advantage and not penalised the offence that would have been DOGSO).
It's small DOGSO (like a poodle). So yellow card is ok.

Why is there a poll on this thread asking whether it should be a yellow or a red and comparisons to yesterdays incident? I don't personally think it should be considered a DOGSO from that position when an attacker ain't even got the ball at his feet hence I think a yellow card is the right decision as I thought Rob Jones original decision was also correct.

All my opinion and I ain't a referee so personally would rather not have the sarcastic tone in your question.

Why is there a poll on this thread asking whether it should be a yellow or a red and comparisons to yesterdays incident? I don't personally think it should be considered a DOGSO from that position when an attacker ain't even got the ball at his feet hence I think a yellow card is the right decision as I thought Rob Jones original decision was also correct.

All my opinion and I ain't a referee so personally would rather not have the sarcastic tone in your question.
I think what @JamesL means is that if you say something is DOGSO outside the penalty area, it has to be a red card. If you don’t think it’s a red card, it would be SPA. It’s more of a terminology matter.

PS- I had no idea you aren’t a referee…….

Back