A&H

Liverpool V Derby

The Referee Store
Rear foot at time of ball being struck..?

(Not bored enough to rewatch)

Edit in Morning: Have actually rewatched... laughable lack of decision-making

Last edited:
Before the second kick the AR had a long chat with the GK. On one hand, OK that’s proactive. But on the other hand it was obvious that the first save should have been a retake. We could see, the AR could see - and the AR warning the GK just reinforced that it should have been flagged.

Obviously would love to hear the ref’s instructions and comms here. But does seem that the 3rd team messed up here.

When I played it was with the thought that if I can get away with it I would try it.
Might of been controversy tho if we'd won.
(Derby fan)

Dereliction of duty. Commentator called it straight away
It really bothers me that MO's at all levels of the game just blatantly ignore the rules or haven't got the spine to apply them
For me it's more of a case of thinking the laws don't apply to me and I apply what I think the laws should be.

This would have made a lot more noise, and I mean a lot, had Liverpool lost the game.

I watched a 16 year old AR call a less blatant violation during KFTM in a U19 boys State Cup final (this kid is absolutely going places as a referee, and he was worthy of this assignment). To watch a crew working a match with English professional teams ignore sanctioning this is just not good.

I watched a 16 year old AR call a less blatant violation during KFTM in a U19 boys State Cup final (this kid is absolutely going places as a referee, and he was worthy of this assignment). To watch a crew working a match with English professional teams ignore sanctioning this is just not good.
Well it causes of one simple thing in this league, money. And due to this the professional refs are told different.

Well it causes of one simple thing in this league, money. And due to this the professional refs are told different.
That clearly isn't right in this case, as with VAR it would have 100% been retaken.

What we don't know in this case is what instructions the referee had given the AR. I don't agree with it, but for KFTPM some referees tell the AR ball over line only and leave encroachment to him (some also do it for penalties in open play which I agree with even less). That said, it was so blatant the referee should have seen it from where he was.

I don't agree with it, but for KFTPM some referees tell the AR ball over line only and leave encroachment to him (some also do it for penalties in open play which I agree with even less). That said, it was so blatant the referee should have seen it from where he was.
Can't imagine that instruction would be given at the level at issue here. (I can imagine situations where I would give that instruction to very inexperienced ARs . . . )

Assuming that's not recently or, as stated above, its a dereliction of duty.

You use the phrase 'football expects' to justify a lot of things...this is ond thing that football fully expects (thanks to var)
About 8 years ago I think. The argument used is that on KFTPM the referee doesn't need to watch for penalty area encroachment, so he can focus on keeper encroachment. But in doing so he is indirectly saying that he doesn't trust his AR to rule on encroachment.

About 8 years ago I think. The argument used is that on KFTPM the referee doesn't need to watch for penalty area encroachment, so he can focus on keeper encroachment. But in doing so he is indirectly saying that he doesn't trust his AR to rule on encroachment.

That's somewhat fair enough but...who's watching for offences then?! You still need eyes in 2 places at the same time!

I've heard Football League referees say it, so only one level removed.
I think the standard currently is if you want a retake you tell me over comms and I'll decide.
We're all assuming AR hasn't told ref but they will be in constant dialogue.
Refs at our level now are still saying want it to be extremely clear, those stills aren't even a yard off the line. Offences all the same but within tolerance of most referees I am working with

I think the standard currently is if you want a retake you tell me over comms and I'll decide.
We're all assuming AR hasn't told ref but they will be in constant dialogue.
Refs at our level now are still saying want it to be extremely clear, those stills aren't even a yard off the line. Offences all the same but within tolerance of most referees I am working with

If you watch a video of it you'll see that it's an extremely clear and obvious offence

Back