A&H

Liverpool V Derby

I think the standard currently is if you want a retake you tell me over comms and I'll decide.
I don't do games with comms. My PK instructions vary on the level of my ARs. If I consider my ARs peers, we talk about the standard and I tell them to raise the flag if the GK saves and they think it should be a retake. If I have significantly less experienced ARs, I tell them to take a sideways step onto the field and look at me so that I'm the one taking the flak not them (and it let's me second guess if I so choose).
Refs at our level now are still saying want it to be extremely clear, those stills aren't even a yard off the line. Offences all the same but within tolerance of most referees I am working with
I find that a bit surprising. Before the crack down, sure. But once VAR went to calling 1 mm off the line as an offense by the GK, it seems to me that for the rest of us that means as long as it is clear the GK is completely off the line, it should be called. So not even a yard doesn't really cut it for me in terms of letting it go.

I've heard Football League referees say it, so only one level removed.

%$#$%ing ridiculous.

The Referee Store
If you watch a video of it you'll see that it's an extremely clear and obvious offence
That's because of a similar effect to flashlag. The keeper starts his forward movement from behind the line (thanks to the new law change) and to be fair it makes it difficult to detect if they have encroached at the time of the kick. They would be a long way out when the ball gets to them but that can be the same as an onside player receiving the ball 5m behind the 2d last defender.

But I agree in the first pen, the encroachment was obvious and early enough to call it without any doubt.

I don't do games with comms. My PK instructions vary on the level of my ARs. If I consider my ARs peers, we talk about the standard and I tell them to raise the flag if the GK saves and they think it should be a retake. If I have significantly less experienced ARs, I tell them to take a sideways step onto the field and look at me so that I'm the one taking the flak not them (and it let's me second guess if I so choose).

I find that a bit surprising. Before the crack down, sure. But once VAR went to calling 1 mm off the line as an offense by the GK, it seems to me that for the rest of us that means as long as it is clear the GK is completely off the line, it should be called. So not even a yard doesn't really cut it for me in terms of letting it go.

%$#$%ing ridiculous.
Think you need to read what I was replying to contextualise it. I know you and I don't have Comms but I was talking about our colleagues who referee pro game who do.

And whilst it might be surprising to you, there is still a reluctance to call minor infractions at lower levels.

Think you need to read what I was replying to contextualise it. I know you and I don't have Comms but I was talking about our colleagues who referee pro game who do.

And whilst it might be surprising to you, there is still a reluctance to call minor infractions at lower levels.
Oh, I totally understood what you were saying about doing games with coms. No reason for ARs to do anything visible if the R may or may not take it.

As to the second point, I don’t disagree, but I think the question is what is a “minor infraction.” IMO, that changed when the big boys and girls went to zero tolerance. We can’t be zero tolerance without the freeze frame a VAR has, but I think we need to be less lenient than we used to. I agree it needs to be a clear offense to call without VAR, but I think it gets clear well before a yard off the line. (My instruction to ARs is that they have to be positive the GK was completely off, but if they are positive, they need to signal it if the GK makes a save.)

I don't really get why this is merits discussion. Not calling this infringement for what it was... just rubbish... full stop... nothing to talk about

Indeed, my pre-match tonight... 'if anyone does what that GK did last night, you best be calling it'

Reactions: es1
Back