A&H

Liverpool v Citee

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Offside decisions going against them? Despite that I’m sure Scouse fans’ll be raging over Henderson being suspended after his caution. In truth there’s no argument with it as De Bruyne was done for the same thing. Only difference was Sterling hit the deck, while Mane continued where he left off on Saturday. The pirouette failed then so he went for a Shooting-Star Press tonight :mute:

Two tight offside decisions leading to goals that both went Liverpool's way. Sometimes that's just how it goes. I'm not blaming the AR for either.

My guess is Sane's kneecap was offside (much like Mata during squiggly line-gate). Ideally the flag stays down here, but the AR made an incredibly tough decision.

Two tight offside decisions leading to goals that both went Liverpool's way. Sometimes that's just how it goes. I'm not blaming the AR for either.

My guess is Sane's kneecap was offside (much like Mata during squiggly line-gate). Ideally the flag stays down here, but the AR made an incredibly tough decision.

I thought the nearside AR made three incredible offside calls. The replays and freeze frames showed all to be correct. In the real time I thought they were impossible to judge.

And then I started to think... I wonder how this guy got to be AR2 in one of the biggest games of the year... maybe because he is one of the best assistants in the world...?

Felix was also very good I thought. I felt he had to adapt his foul line for the English sides and helped serve up a thrilling cup tie. His cautions were clear. The dissent (I presume) for Jesus was probably the highlight for me. Pep didn't help his player there. It was almost like Jesus copied his manager's reaction from close to the dugouts;)

I thought the nearside AR made three incredible offside calls. The replays and freeze frames showed all to be correct. In the real time I thought they were impossible to judge.

And then I started to think... I wonder how this guy got to be AR2 in one of the biggest games of the year... maybe because he is one of the best assistants in the world...?

Felix was also very good I thought. I felt he had to adapt his foul line for the English sides and helped serve up a thrilling cup tie. His cautions were clear. The dissent (I presume) for Jesus was probably the highlight for me. Pep didn't help his player there. It was almost like Jesus copied his manager's reaction from close to the dugouts;)
Eh? First goal should have been offside.4AD3527A00000578-0-image-a-8_1522876055154.jpg

That's not a good angle to judge from. Based on the replays/freeze frames I saw, it seemed the AR got it right.

Id accept the angle argument further down field of play but its so close to the halfway line, which I am guessing at a PL club is as straight as they come, in my eyes thats pretty clear cut based on that freeze frame.

Its a tough decision I agree, but Im not sure we can sit here and say yes all are absolutley correct. This one is debatable and I suspect VAR might have ruled it out.

I think the only variable would be the first connection with the ball and Salah being in own half or on halfway line but a side from that the above freeze shows salah in opposition half with closest second defender on the halfway line.

Heard the first half on the radio, sounded an awesome game! Got myself to a bar for the pretty boring second half! All set up for the second leg! Hands up who wants to drive the Liverpool bus to the game!

If City win the first half of the second leg 3-0, I think there will be some juicy tackles and tempers for the second half.

If City win the first half of the second leg 3-0, I think there will be some juicy tackles and tempers for the second half.
I don't put it past City to score, especially at the etihad. That being said, Liverpool fab 3 upfront in the form they are in, I'm sure they would score at least once!

Its not impossible to score 3 goals at home, if Liverpool set up to defend for 90 minutes it could be very interesting. Forget Liverpool playing 3 up front, that ain't going to happen!!!

Its not impossible to score 3 goals at home, if Liverpool set up to defend for 90 minutes it could be very interesting. Forget Liverpool playing 3 up front, that ain't going to happen!!!
You think? If Salah's injury is minor enough that he is able to play next week, I can't see any way Klopp doesn't play that front 3 in the biggest match of their season so far. And if he does play those 3, the plan will be exactly what the previous 2 posters have alluded to - score at least one and then work to make it next to impossible for City to score the 5 they would then need.

Of course Klopp will play the 3 if Mo is fit.
The problem for Jurgen is what to do with Hendo missing. Will Can be fit? Can the Weedj fit in? The rest of the team picks itself.

Passing observation: I still think Gomez was the root of all evil, we have been brilliant since he has left the side, it's laughable that he is a WC candidate and Lovren looks much better without him around - though having the strongest player ever to lace boots alongside you probably helps.

Of course Klopp will play the 3 if Mo is fit.
The problem for Jurgen is what to do with Hendo missing. Will Can be fit? Can the Weedj fit in? The rest of the team picks itself.

Passing observation: I still think Gomez was the root of all evil, we have been brilliant since he has left the side, it's laughable that he is a WC candidate and Lovren looks much better without him around - though having the strongest player ever to lace boots alongside you probably helps.
I think Gomez is a real problem at full back, as he seemed to have a real problem judging the flight of long crossfield balls (as well as being fairly iffy at holding a tight offside line). I think he might be OK at CB, because that will be less his responsibility to deal with.

But TAA was looking like he had a real problem with knowing what to do when a big striker flicked headers on in his direction towards a good winger. He didn't seem to struggle against Sane - who's a good winger - but I think City managed to miss the fact that it was the big CF (Lukaku and Benteke) that caused TAA to lose his shape and leave the space in the last few matches. They were pumping it straight to Sane, and it was much easier for TAA to just sit off and either attack his first touch, or cut off the wing and push him back.

I'm far from convinced that he's totally fixed that problem in his game, but it's less of a problem than Gomez's because it takes the right 2 players to exploit, rather than just one to exploit Gomez. But at the same time, it seems like it would be easier to train Gomez's problem out of him that Trent's?

... the Arsenal goals and a few others from earlier in the season live hard and long in my Gomezmory... but I here ya.
Fingers crossed Mo is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back