A&H

LiVARpool at it again

Ryanj91

Aubameyang sent off for a foul. No intent, no force, late pressing tackle and was unlucky. Fair enough. VAR worked.

5 hours later. Robertson loses the ball, lunged in, high boot, Studs up, reckless, dangerous. Not even a foul.

The spurs bloke was lucky that his leg was facing the impact, to the side he would have had it broken.

VAR amazes me each week.

The Referee Store
I think the difference is that Robertson plays the ball then bounces off it onto the opponent. Aubemeyang, and Billy Sharp given SF has given us his weekly reminder, were nowhere near the ball.

Of course playing the ball doesn't mean it can't be a red card and I'm surprised it wasn't reviewed, but that is my guess as to the reason why.

I think the difference is that Robertson plays the ball then bounces off it onto the opponent. Aubemeyang, and Billy Sharp given SF has given us his weekly reminder, were nowhere near the ball.

Of course playing the ball doesn't mean it can't be a red card and I'm surprised it wasn't reviewed, but that is my guess as to the reason why.
So, you’ve answered your own put down with some proper law and spread it either side with your own apparent guesswork! Cheers, but all views are valid! 👍
All we ask for is consistency, as a snap shot the AR one looks worse and yet that one isn’t even called a foul!

So, you’ve answered your own put down with some proper law and spread it either side with your own apparent guesswork! Cheers, but all views are valid! 👍
All we ask for is consistency, as a snap shot the AR one looks worse and yet that one isn’t even called a foul!

It looks worse in a screen shot, not necessarily real time. Remember that VAR are supposed to watch it at the same speed as the referee sees it, not using still images or slow motion.

At Match speed the Arsenal one doesn’t look that bad! From the touch line parallel camera it looks blue!

The biggest difference in 'considerations' for me is the Aubameyang case was he was tackling the player who had posession of the ball. In Robertson case it was in the process of playing the ball and being challenged for it. I would have been fine with a red card there but not giving a red card is not a clear and obvious error.

D482C71D-4153-4FA1-B165-FBE4538B0F26.jpeg
Any other team, any other match..... that's a red card in todays ***** world..... Why is he / they constantly getting away with it!!!!

View attachment 4004
Any other team, any other match..... that's a red card in todays ***** world..... Why is he / they constantly getting away with it!!!!

You are using stills again. The referee doesn't get a freeze frame and VAR aren't support to use them or slow motion replays.

The Aubameyang one isn't about freeze frames or slow motion replays, but rather angles. From most angles it doesn't look bad but then there is one that shows the contact and the leg buckling and that looks a blatant red even at full speed. I was in a club's boardroom at the time and people were bemoaning it until they saw that angle and everyone them immediately said red.

Saw this on match ofbthe day, doesn't look anything like as bad in some of the replays, contact is with the outside of the foot

Screenshot doesn't tell the whole story. Robertson jumps in but so does the defender (and the defender has almost no chance of getting to the ball). I think it's reckless from Robertson, not serious foul play.
That's more or less what I was going to say - along with the fact that, as @one pointed out, Robertson was the player with the ball and although he had played it a little too far ahead, he was always going to get to it first. Tanganga lunged in for a ball he was never going to get to (and didn't). His closing speed and forward momentum towards Robertson was in my opinion, as much, if not more, to blame for the eventual contact than anything Robertson did. It's only the fact that Robertson's studs are showing and Tanganga's are not, that makes it look as bad as it does.

Ball did not touch Henderson’s hand.
Robertson’s should’ve been a yellow, so no VAR.
Before the goal it should have been a City throw.

All this does (in cases 2 and 3) is highlight how selective VAR is.

I propose binning VAR and implementing post match reviews where the match’s referee and chief can retrospectively punish anything e.g. YC tackles, diving, swearing at the officials, VC, SFP. The result stands but post match ref review could massively clean up the game. Instead of all this VAR column-inch-sheeet we’d have loads of footage of ref’s and commentators rehashing all incidents in a Monday-Weds secondary news cycle.

And someone has to take the fall for how bad it’s going in the richest league in the world...

Ball did not touch Henderson’s hand.
Robertson’s should’ve been a yellow, so no VAR.
Before the goal it should have been a City throw.

All this does (in cases 2 and 3) is highlight how selective VAR is.

I propose binning VAR and implementing post match reviews where the match’s referee and chief can retrospectively punish anything e.g. YC tackles, diving, swearing at the officials, VC, SFP. The result stands but post match ref review could massively clean up the game. Instead of all this VAR column-inch-sheeet we’d have loads of footage of ref’s and commentators rehashing all incidents in a Monday-Weds secondary news cycle.

And someone has to take the fall for how bad it’s going in the richest league in the world...
F48B84FE-6464-4F3C-9D41-8BD94F1D6982.jpeg
Not obvious but it did!!!

Back