A&H

LIV v CRY

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Just thought that Tierney had a cracking game yesterday. Controlled the game whilst letting it flow well.

The red card was one of the biggest brain farts I’ve seen from a player.

Was a good game of football but was impressed with PT.

The Referee Store
About time a manager agreed with a red card for once as well

Just thought that Tierney had a cracking game yesterday. Controlled the game whilst letting it flow well.

The red card was one of the biggest brain farts I’ve seen from a player.

Was a good game of football but was impressed with PT.
Agree - I thought he was excellent. LIked the way he dealt with time-wasting - early warning to CP captain was a good tactic, then managed it well and dealt with it when CP legitimately slowing it down overstepped the mark.

The only one I thought he got wrong was late on when he gave a FK to Diaz when it looked like he just backed into the defender. I was hoping for him it didn't lead to anything, which it didn't.

About time a manager agreed with a red card for once as well
Liverpool's last red was a VAR upgraded YC for Robertson against Spurs a season or two ago - Klopp was furious with that one, but only in the context that he though Kane should have seen red for a tackle on Robertson earlier in the game as well. The phrase "both or neither" was thrown around quite a lot - even Dermot Gallagher got off the fence and said it was a wrong decision! You'll see in that article Klopp is quoted as saying Robertson was right to be sent off.

I think there's a little bit of painting all managers with a broad brush there - Klopp has a pretty good record of being fairer than most to referees post-match, particularly when it comes to his own players red cards.

Agree - I thought he was excellent. LIked the way he dealt with time-wasting - early warning to CP captain was a good tactic, then managed it well and dealt with it when CP legitimately slowing it down overstepped the mark.

The only one I thought he got wrong was late on when he gave a FK to Diaz when it looked like he just backed into the defender. I was hoping for him it didn't lead to anything, which it didn't.
The Palace GK got his first warning for time wasting about 2 minutes into the second half - and then didn't get booked until 90+1. Tierney then also wasted 30 seconds after that running over to give him another warning on the next GK.

He's far from the first referee to fail to get control over goal kicks taking too long, but dishing out yellow cards all over the place is functionally meaningless if you're then going to waste more time on extra warnings rather than actually just following through and giving the second yellow when it's needed due to the first warning not being heeded.

The Palace GK got his first warning for time wasting about 2 minutes into the second half - and then didn't get booked until 90+1. Tierney then also wasted 30 seconds after that running over to give him another warning on the next GK.

He's far from the first referee to fail to get control over goal kicks taking too long, but dishing out yellow cards all over the place is functionally meaningless if you're then going to waste more time on extra warnings rather than actually just following through and giving the second yellow when it's needed due to the first warning not being heeded.
We're in opinion territory, but there is a fine line between legitimately slowing the tempo of a game and time-wasting. I thought he managed that well, but other views are available !

Having just cautioned, 'brave' to go with a second yellow on the next goal kick unless something absolutely blatant happened. He's then stealing post-game headlines he doesn't want. I thought game management and common sense prevailed and he did the right thing.

We're in opinion territory, but there is a fine line between legitimately slowing the tempo of a game and time-wasting. I thought he managed that well, but other views are available !

Having just cautioned, 'brave' to go with a second yellow on the next goal kick unless something absolutely blatant happened. He's then stealing post-game headlines he doesn't want. I thought game management and common sense prevailed and he did the right thing.
Agree it's 100% consistent with what has become routine in the PL. But there is supposed to be a specific focus on timewasting this season and I so far don't think much has changed.

Tierney literally ran over and warned him to pick up the pace in the 47th minute, presumably having been alerted at half time (although choosing not to warn him before the second half kicks off?). He then completely ignores the slow GK's for 44 minutes, cautions him in the 91st, warns him again in the 94th.

People forget that the caution is the warning, but I think he's fluffed it by the time he leaves it to 91 minutes to caution him anyway. Book him at some point between 60 and 75 and you've got plenty of time to go through the whole routine of second warnings, warning the captain etc. And if he doesn't speed up, you still have time to send him off in the low 80's, early enough that they can still have subs left to bring on a replacement keeper and it's not a massive end-of-game decision.

Yes it's sticking your head above the parapet, but I don't see how else anything will ever change, short of IFAB allowing a stop clock. They've introduced multi-ball this season, and the only effect I've seen is that GK's now get to pretend they can't decide which ball to go and get, or over-eager ball boys throw too many balls on and player then get to kill even more time wandering over to kick off the spare, or debate which of the two balls to use.

Last edited:
Meh. I thought he done what he was expected to do for the most part. Didn't exactly need to excel as the game didn't have any real flash points.
I did however think he was pretty poor with dealing with the time wasting. Keeper should have got a yellow much earlier on and even potentially a second yellow after the first. Clyne should also have got a yellow with his late throw ins.

Agree it's 100% consistent with what has become routine in the PL. But there is supposed to be a specific focus on timewasting this season and I so far don't think much has changed.

Tierney literally ran over and warned him to pick up the pace in the 47th minute, presumably having been alerted at half time (although choosing not to warn him before the second half kicks off?). He then completely ignores the slow GK's for 44 minutes, cautions him in the 91st, warns him again in the 94th.

People forget that the caution is the warning, but I think he's fluffed it by the time he leaves it to 91 minutes to caution him anyway. Book him at some point between 60 and 75 and you've got plenty of time to go through the whole routine of second warnings, warning the captain etc. And if he doesn't speed up, you still have time to send him off in the low 80's, early enough that they can still have subs left to bring on a replacement keeper and it's not a massive end-of-game decision.

Yes it's sticking your head above the parapet, but I don't see how else anything will ever change, short of IFAB allowing a stop clock. They've introduced multi-ball this season, and the only effect I've seen is that GK's now get to pretend they can't decide which ball to go and get, or over-eager ball boys throw too many balls on and player then get to kill even more time wandering over to kick off the spare, or debate which of the two balls to use.
There have definitely been more cautions to keepers for delaying the restart. There is a rather large elephant in the room though, and that is no EPL referee will give a keeper a second caution for delaying unless it was unbelievably blatant. I'd be reluctant to do it at lower levels, at the top level it just isn't going to happen. I suspect the hope is that the prospect of getting sent off will hurry them up, and they can put thoughts into the captains head so that he helps to hurry them up. I would give good odds on there being a keeper sent off for two delaying restart cautions.

Merely an observation.

There’s a definite element of being between a rock and hard place when it comes to the goalkeepers.

Do one for a second caution and have a much lengthier delay while they sort out a replacement, be it outfield player or substitute;

Or take the path of least resistance and allow play to continue with just one issued.

True, but . . . If GKs thought they could actually get tossed, it would change behavior.

As it stands, the caution to the GK almost means, “see, I pretended to do something, now you can go ahead and do whatever you want cuz I’ve got no tools left.”

If the referee is brave and good enough to 2Y send off a goalkeeper or any other player for that matter, then they would be good enough to add in whatever time it takes to caution the player, get him/her off the field and find replacement for goalkeepers. Referees cautioning players shouldn't disadvantage the non-offending teams .

Last edited:
Headbutts, even contact is very minimal and/or negligible has to be VC. EPL referees have been inconsistent on this and I have seen similar incidents only cautioned.

Merely an observation.

There’s a definite element of being between a rock and hard place when it comes to the goalkeepers.

Do one for a second caution and have a much lengthier delay while they sort out a replacement, be it outfield player or substitute;

Or take the path of least resistance and allow play to continue with just one issued.
Ask the opposition what they want and I think they'd say they'd rather have the keeper off. Not only will the replacement likely be worse, but there will be one less defender for them to have to work around as well.

Headbutts, even contact is very minimal and/or negligible has to be VC. EPL referees have been inconsistent on this and I have seen similar incidents only cautioned.
On this topic, would you expect a 5-match ban for Nunez? What would someone be looking for to extend his ban?

On this topic, would you expect a 5-match ban for Nunez? What would someone be looking for to extend his ban?

Five would seem inconsistent. They could add an extra one for refusing to leave the pitch, an extra three if they thought the first movement (a few seconds before) was also violent conduct or just keep it at three

Suspension is not something consistent across competitions. Especially at higher levels and comps run for profit you get lower suspension compared to social comps. At this level I'd say two or three weeks. I wouldn't open a can of worms for anything else other than the headbutt he was sent off for.

Last edited:
At grass roots I think he would get more, but equally it would probably have caused a full on riot. In the EPL it will just be the standard 3 games.

Back