A&H

LINO...YOU CHEAT !

wa209

Hello all , over last few games (and last season) i have had no end of problems around club members/players/people walking their dog being handed the flag by the team coach with little or no knowledge around what they are doing. Whilst i always try and give a 30 s breifing , they change at half time , with substitutions and the message is lost...
As the referee i can overrule and try to explain why , but its normally not heard or listened. I have to try and prevent the impending WW3 by allegations of cheating , bias and being just generally not very good. Today , a perfect example...through ball to a striker , clearly onside.. The person on the line waits until next week to put his flag up. I shout as loud as i can to play on...goal and uproar. I again explain it wasn't very close and the player was clearly on side. This happens more often than not. Teams will immediately complain if flagged offside by a member of the opposing team holding the flag. I sometimes feel that i will dispense with them altogether and call the line myself, which i have done before.
Anyway ....does anyone have some 'useful' match day tips around managing this.....hence the title.
PS wasn't it today warm..so .glad I had a 2pm ko...well thought out on my part i think !!!!!!

The Referee Store
Hello all , over last few games (and last season) i have had no end of problems around club members/players/people walking their dog being handed the flag by the team coach with little or no knowledge around what they are doing. Whilst i always try and give a 30 s breifing , they change at half time , with substitutions and the message is lost...
As the referee i can overrule and try to explain why , but its normally not heard or listened. I have to try and prevent the impending WW3 by allegations of cheating , bias and being just generally not very good. Today , a perfect example...through ball to a striker , clearly onside.. The person on the line waits until next week to put his flag up. I shout as loud as i can to play on...goal and uproar. I again explain it wasn't very close and the player was clearly on side. This happens more often than not. Teams will immediately complain if flagged offside by a member of the opposing team holding the flag. I sometimes feel that i will dispense with them altogether and call the line myself, which i have done before.
Anyway ....does anyone have some 'useful' match day tips around managing this.....hence the title.
PS wasn't it today warm..so .glad I had a 2pm ko...well thought out on my part i think !!!!!!
Depends on your comfortability. I've heard referees say to these ARs that they only want them calling ball in/out, and others full responsibility.

I tell these 'linos' before the game (and in front of both teams, in case they change around who is running the flag) - I do not want them flagging for fouls, unless its something completely obvious that I've missed.
This came to a head on a game where:
  • White (home) v Blue (away), one sub/supporter/whatever from each team running one side each.
  • Blue puts in a through ball into the penalty area, keeper comes out and collects the striker (but looked like it may have been offside), either way, I stop play (because if it's not offside, I'm giving the penalty).
  • White goalkeeper pipes up immediately saying 'you can't be fouled if you're offside', and sure enough I look to the AR (from the Blue team) and they have their flag out in the offside signal (flag infront), so I signal for offside. Team blows up. Their own problem. Apparently he was signalling for the foul, but since he actually signalled for offside, I thought he was trying to take advantage of the situation.

Depends on your comfortability. I've heard referees say to these ARs that they only want them calling ball in/out, and others full responsibility.

I tell these 'linos' before the game (and in front of both teams, in case they change around who is running the flag) - I do not want them flagging for fouls, unless its something completely obvious that I've missed.
This came to a head on a game where:
  • White (home) v Blue (away), one sub/supporter/whatever from each team running one side each.
  • Blue puts in a through ball into the penalty area, keeper comes out and collects the striker (but looked like it may have been offside), either way, I stop play (because if it's not offside, I'm giving the penalty).
  • White goalkeeper pipes up immediately saying 'you can't be fouled if you're offside', and sure enough I look to the AR (from the Blue team) and they have their flag out in the offside signal (flag infront), so I signal for offside. Team blows up. Their own problem. Apparently he was signalling for the foul, but since he actually signalled for offside, I thought he was trying to take advantage of the situation.
This is why having club ARs doing their own team's attacking line isn't a good idea!

This is why having club ARs doing their own team's attacking line isn't a good idea!
Agreed. This team was being a hassle though and complaining that they didn't want to run the 'other side', and the home team didn't particularly care so just agreed.
But generally, one half of each, both teams, it balances out mostly. As long as everyone is 'generally' honest

I’d suggest only allowing club assistant referees to call throw ins. You won’t always have a perfect angle to call an offside but it will stop situations like you’ve described.

I’d suggest only allowing club assistant referees to call throw ins. You won’t always have a perfect angle to call an offside but it will stop situations like you’ve described.

I always tell them to flag for offsides if they are 100% sure, and keep their flag down if not. I also tell them that if I acknowledge them with my hand but don’t give a decision then they should put the flag down. I ask them not to call fouls, obviously, and make it clear that ins/outs are their main role.

This is location dependant.

You'll get more aggro trying to do this in an area where it is the done thing Vs an area where it isnt.

Ball in and out of play and offside flag for club ARs thats it. Allow them to flag for anything else and you might as well hand them your whistle and cards as well ...!!

If one club lino is "dodgy" and you're getting hassle from the other team then you either start waving the lino's flag away or simply go with every call both lino's make. Hardly ideal I know but it's a battle you can't win unless you just do it all yourself.

Dads as AR cause me problems no end.
Yesterday I had one who kept flagging and I wasn’t convinced. So much so that I changed my positioning so I can judge the offsides. This affected my ability to ref the game properly, but turns out he was flagging for everything and I was right to override him.

Today I had what I thought was a dad. Turns out it was a coach and was on the phone to the other coach making decisions. Honestly you couldn’t make it up.

What I do now is gauge how good they are. I ref the same league so get to know them and I know the ones who are honest and I know the ones who aren’t and I ref accordingly.

This is location dependant.

You'll get more aggro trying to do this in an area where it is the done thing Vs an area where it isnt.
100% agree it’s location dependent, my neighbor county allow club assistants to do offside.
It would be interesting to know which counties allow club assistant to do offsides.

100% agree it’s location dependent, my neighbor county allow club assistants to do offside.
It would be interesting to know which counties allow club assistant to do offsides.
Always thought this was a league specific thing rather than county?

I’m in Lancashire and all my leagues allow it, so I’m assuming that means Lancashire allows it.

It just seems i spend a portion of every game diffusing and calming offside calls. Teams screaming at each others 'club' AR's ( normally a player who has been subbed)...they just will not have it. I have removed a couple before who were trying to call offsides after their defending teammates telling them to 'put the @|***ing flag up'!. Its inevitable that you will get a bit of angst.....but lately it just seems to be the thing to do at every offside call.
My current approach is to have a word with the coach/manager and tell them that the calls being made are not credible and i will ignore them...this sometimes works. Or they just carry on...…hey ho ! onto the weekend games … can hear them now !!!

Forgot to add. Same AR yesterday who was making dodgy offside calls made it obvious he was bias.

Ball runs along the line by the goal. Players fight for it and play it in and score.
one player claims it went out before and he raises his flag after the goal is scored and not before.

I allowed the goal as I could see it didn’t go out. Annoyed me though.

My instructions to CARs are along the lines of ...

"your left back please. Ball in out of play, if you know the direction signal it otherwise I will make the decision. Happy for you you to indicate offsides if you are credibly placed, but please wait until the attacker has actually received the ball. I might have a different angle so if I overrule you please don't be offended. If anyone gives you any grief call me over and we'll have a chat. If you pass the flag to someone else please call me over so I can have a chat with them too"

So I'm giving them offsides, but making it clear I will take it off them if I have a better view.

Back