A&H

Linesman side of pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Ambrose

Level 7 Referee
Hi, I’ve always adhered to the linesmen being on the side of the leftback for the defending team - is there anything in the rules that forbids them being on the other side, if that side of the pitch/line is in a poor state? (Assuming they both go with the defending right back)

The Referee Store
Hi, I’ve always adhered to the linesmen being on the side of the leftback for the defending team - is there anything in the rules that forbids them being on the other side, if that side of the pitch/line is in a poor state? (Assuming they both go with the defending right back)

No, it’s unusual, but not unheard of to run right backs.

This is something I keep meaning to try - I've never had this problem as a referee, but as an AR I've sometimes looked at the lines that are traditionally run and wished the referee had considered switching. I've had an ankle injury that's plagued me on-and-off for the last few seasons and I can trace it back to being asked to run a line that had a hole in and jarring my ankle when my foot went in there. If I'd thought to ask to run right backs, I might have had a much better time over the last year or two.

Any ref who asks me as a CAR to run right wings gets a bag of jelly babies at half time.

Saves the pitch, prefer it, nice opportunity for them to practice should something occur (SUN!) and it’s required.

Last edited:
It isn't banned as such, but in England it now can't be used at level 3 and above so anyone who has hopes of progression should use left backs. That said, I would like to think that the authorities would thank a referee who uses right backs in order to get the game played when the normal touchlines are damaged or flooded.

In the past, I ran one diagonal one half and the other diagonal the second half. I always said I could run both diagonal equally badly

Yes, sometimes it would help to run right wings, as it could be the pitch or the left winger/right back that could be the problem.

Running the “reverse” diagonal can be a real advantage in a number of contexts, most notably when an AR has an issue on a particular touchline—puddles, trees, etc. it can also be an advantage in certain sun configurations, particularly in early morning. I have one field where the winter sun in an 8 AM is coming up from the right back corner flag. With a standard diagonal, I’d often be looking straight at the sun to see that AR, and my other AR would often be looking straight at the sun to see me. By reversing, that is much, much improved. (Somewhere I heard if you have a long shadow. Run the diagonal along the shadow—it helps.)

Thanks everyone, great to know. The groundsman at a regular pitch I ref is asking us to use the opposite flanks for the next few months as it is getting damaged, so will give it a go.

I believe Capital Football here in Canberra run Left-Back as mentioned. Don't know if it's a protocol or anything yet. Only protocol I've heard is when there is a CAR and an AR, the AR does the side of the field with the dugouts/team officials/substitutions etc

I sometimes do this in pre-season, not only does it allow me a test and to remain aware instead of looking directly at the left-back but it also cuts the level of dissent given by the players because they will look to shout at left back post but will have forgetten by the time they realise they are not there

AR at left back is not explicitly enforced in LOTG but it is implicit. Apart from every diagram in the guidelines section placing ARs at left back side, law 6 is specific on which hand the AR should use for free kicks and throw ins. Having AR at right back would contradict those directives.

Having said that, if the benefits to a switch clearly outweigh it's disadvantages, I have nothing against it.

Last edited:
AR at left back is not explicitly enforced in LOTG but it is implicit. Apart from every diagram in the guidelines section placing ARs at left back side, law 6 is specific on which hand the AR should use for free kicks and throw ins. Having AR at right back would contradict those directives.

Having said that, if the benefits to a switch clearly outweigh it's disadvantages, I have nothing against it.
Nothing in Law 6 mentions anything about the use of a specific hand at all. The diagrams imply a left back position but are just as easily explained by KISS.

The only time where any instructions relevant to the AR involve a specific hand are in the "Practical Guidelines" - "Body Language etc." section, and only for signalling ball passing wholly but not clearly over the goal line, and signalling offside. The right hand is used because "better line of vision".

So it is clearly a preference and a strong assumption in the advice by IFAB that the ARs are running left back, but it is far from definite and not at all explicit in actual LOTG.

Definitely would like to learn a bout KISS. What is it? Does it involve my tongue ? 😜

And which diagrams are you referring to?

Definitely would like to learn a bout KISS. What is it? Does it involve my tongue ? 😜

And which diagrams are you referring to?
You spoke of Law 6, in the context of ARs, but don't know about the diagrams? :drink:
Things like

Screenshot_20200117_073259.jpg

that suggest the right arm indicates for the attack, and therefore that the AR is on the attacking right or defending left side.

Now what would happen if you had an example showing that both attack and defence were indicated by both the left and right arm? Very confusion, and not keeping it simple, s...

You spoke of Law 6, in the context of ARs, but don't know about the diagrams? :drink:
Things like

View attachment 4014

that suggest the right arm indicates for the attack, and therefore that the AR is on the attacking right or defending left side.

Now what would happen if you had an example showing that both attack and defence were indicated by both the left and right arm? Very confusion, and not keeping it simple, s...
Oh I know the diagrams but the context was wider and we both talked about the diagrams at the back of the book. Just wanted to make sure KISS is about which diagrams.

Now let's have the full diagrams.

Screenshot_20200116-233622__01.jpg
If the laws didn't want the specific hand to be used for a specific reason they would have KISSed by doing what they did for R.
Screenshot_20200117-083227__01.jpg

Why would they have two diagrams for AR and one for R? Wouldn't it make sense to have just the one diagram for "free kick" for AR too?

Technically the law requires the AR to run left-back side to comply and they mean it.

Reactions: JH
Oh I know the diagrams but the context was wider and we both talked about the diagrams at the back of the book. Just wanted to make sure KISS is about which diagrams.

Now let's have the full diagrams.

View attachment 4015
If the laws didn't want the specific hand to be used for a specific reason they would have KISSed by doing what they did for R.
View attachment 4017

Why would they have two diagrams for AR and one for R? Wouldn't it make sense to have just the one diagram for "free kick" for AR too?

Technically the law requires the AR to run left-back side to comply and they mean it.
The referee can signal every free kick in the entire game using only the left arm, as shown in the diagram, but that doesn't mean they're required to.
By your logic, the referee can only ever use the right arm to signal advantage (1) or a goal kick, and only ever use the left arm for a FK, PK, CK, because that's what the diagram shows.
In the extreme, you are saying that every referee who shows a card with the right hand (which, given the 90:10 split against lefties, means the vast majority) have clearly ignored the requirements of law.

What makes more sense: they wanted to contrast the signals for attacking flag versus defending flag and not have to show both possible directions, exactly the same way they demonstrate the referee signals by only drawing one of the two options?
Or that they really mean everything has to match the diagrams as shown and every referee across the world has been making errors in law dozens of times each game?

Again, KISS.

You are misreading my logic. One diagram means I'm being generic, you have a choice. A complete set of all options/diagrams (in this case two) means, I'm being specific, do exactly as the diagrams direct.

I think we have beaten this horse to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back