A&H

Lewisham vs Lordwood

The Referee Store

Always hard to take a lot from a Twitter post from a club but an interesting read. Thoughts?
My initial thought was "this goes in a bit strong on the official at a relatively low level" but in hindsight I think there's potentially a level of unconscious bias involved from the official.

The issue with these tweets is instead of talking about tackling this kind of bias or remediation, it's instead encouraging replies like "officials making it about themselves" "they're too protected now" etc etc

Suspect that tweet will get them in trouble. The start of it is fairly considered, but then after the bit in bold it talks about unconscious bias. And then goes onto very clearly suggest discriminatory behaviour by the match officials in the paragraphs below.

Football should be for everyone and no individual or group should feel that they have been treated differently because of their identity. It is disappointing that this is the way that we have been made to feel, as a community club from a diverse area.

We will be exploring all possible avenues to ensure the issues highlighted are properly addressed. We do this in the hope that incidents like this are not repeated in the future and that no player or coach is subject to unfair treatment because of their identity.

There's no doubt what they are implying here, it is more coming out and saying it than implying it.

Ultimately this will most likely come down to something as basic as poor cautioning technique. Previously we would need to isolate the player, or name/number and show the card etc. Now that the guidance has loosened a bit as they seemingly wanted us to speed the process up where possible, I think a few are maybe going a bit too far with speeding it up and just flashing cards. That then raises 2 issues; it’s maybe not always clear to others who you are booking, and it maybe means you lose an element of concentration.

Agree with @RustyRef that the post starts off quite fair and considered. But then it takes a twist and starts to question other motives. But this is part of the issue with social media, people can put basically anything they want out there- and in this case, the referee is unlikely to have the right of reply.

If the club feel as strongly about it as they suggest, social media really isn’t the platform to go about it on.

Poor officiating being linked to unconscious bias or worse. The player could have been blond haired & confused with a similar looking player.

My takeaway in this scenario, suggests engaging with the home bench would have been beneficial, slow the game down, allow thinking time & to check with AR1. Clearly the bench were remonstrating for a reason.

but then after the bit in bold it talks about unconscious bias
Yes, in contrast to my reasoned discussion in the other thread regarding bias, this Lewisham Tweet is nothing other than passive aggressive misconduct. It's nasty conceited use of the 'prejudice card' which defames the referee's character

Last edited:
Suspect that tweet will get them in trouble. The start of it is fairly considered, but then after the bit in bold it talks about unconscious bias. And then goes onto very clearly suggest discriminatory behaviour by the match officials in the paragraphs below.

Football should be for everyone and no individual or group should feel that they have been treated differently because of their identity. It is disappointing that this is the way that we have been made to feel, as a community club from a diverse area.

We will be exploring all possible avenues to ensure the issues highlighted are properly addressed. We do this in the hope that incidents like this are not repeated in the future and that no player or coach is subject to unfair treatment because of their identity.

There's no doubt what they are implying here, it is more coming out and saying it than implying it.
Ref head taken off for a second this is the kind of post / statement regularly released by those in charge don’t want to give away 100% what I do but hope this makes sense.

Back