A&H

Lemina Red Card

The Referee Store
That's odd? 3 players went towards him and he booked the furthest one away? Was there anymore to it than that?

Talk Sport reported that the Wolves bench were told it was for aggressively running at a match official, there was no OFFINABUS.

I don't like saying this but would Gillett make this same decision if he was reffing a big 6 match that was televised.

Unless something was said then this seems an extremely harsh and odd decision especially when we seen much worse from players running towards the ref in an aggressive manor.

The player has run thirty yards towards the referee. The referee has stuck a hand out and told him it's not on. The player has continued.

Referee's fault?
Jogged about 10 yards and was still about 10 yards from the ref when he got his cards out.

Cautioning the third player to approach the referee is not a bad idea to clamp down on crowding the referee. Perhaps IFAB should write this into law? I would support such a law change; in fact, I would support making it a sending off offence - players will quickly learn.

Cautioning the third player to approach the referee is not a bad idea to clamp down on crowding the referee. Perhaps IFAB should write this into law? I would support such a law change; in fact, I would support making it a sending off offence - players will quickly learn.
But does by making it the third player then not excuse player 1 and 2.
I'd say caution 1 and 2 and player 3 4 and 5 walk. That would be fun.

Unless we see more cautions for this 'common place' behaviour (and indeed second yellows), then this is controversial Refereeing because Gillett is acting as a loan wolf. If however, we see the top teams subject to the same disciplinary action by all PGMOL Refs, then we'll all be in favour

Fingers crossed for a few more of this, it can only help. Perhaps random selection of player, but "surprises" like this are what's needed to shut down multiple players surrounding the referee.

I'm certain he has said something out of turn, just really can't see a Premier League referee cautioning for just walking towards him, and certainly not when it is a second yellow.

Reactions: one
I'm certain he has said something out of turn, just really can't see a Premier League referee cautioning for just walking towards him, and certainly not when it is a second yellow.
Indeed Danny Murphy's 100% belief that he did NOT say anything, just because his team mate had told the MOTD interviewer that, was pretty.......naive - I'll keep it polite!

Well I may have to change my mind, as Dias just got a caution for pretty much the same. He came a lot further and faster than Lemina, but as soon as he became the third Man City player on the scene Rob Jones pulled the yellow card out. Looks like they do have a new policy that three players constitutes mobbing and the third player cops the card.

I believe this is going to be a big point of emphasis going forward. CORE refs have been made aware of putting in more reports and discipline for surrounding in recent sessions and while the FA hope it filters down, hopefully we see some actual guidance from the refereeing department soon.

Back