A&H

Leisure leagues

bmace3

Are they to be avoided or are they okay to be in? There’s a pitch about 2 minutes from where I live that has one and thought it may be worth a look. Don’t know where we stand regarding affiliations that’s all.

The Referee Store
Are they to be avoided or are they okay to be in? There’s a pitch about 2 minutes from where I live that has one and thought it may be worth a look. Don’t know where we stand regarding affiliations that’s all.
It's unaffiliated. I know FA refs that do ref it but I am certain we aren't meant to as its classed by FA as unaffiliated football.

I know someone who used to do the league by me and said it wasn't worth it. Constant fights and bad behaviour. Each league is different though, maybe go and watch a couple of games before you decide.

I was asked by someone I know if I’d do it as they were always short of refs. From all the above advice I’ll give it a miss!

I was asked by someone I know if I’d do it as they were always short of refs. From all the above advice I’ll give it a miss!

Of course regions will vary but its not affliated as others have said

I used to do it twice a week years back, you end up being a bouncer who counts the score. It was horrendous at start but after a few weeks the players got to know you, and, it did become reasonably enjoyable. I would not do it now, because of my low tolerance of melts.

I used to do it twice a week years back, you end up being a bouncer who counts the score.
From what I've heard that just about sums it up. I've spoken to a couple of referees who have done this and in 90% of games you're just keeping the score and the time. If and when it does get messy often the venue won't have the personnel or policies to deal with it and you're on your own.

From what I've heard that just about sums it up. I've spoken to a couple of referees who have done this and in 90% of games you're just keeping the score and the time. If and when it does get messy often the venue won't have the personnel or policies to deal with it and you're on your own.

Its taken as set in stone you will be involved in confrontation, you can stand by and watch two opponents go head to head then deal with it, however there was always an emphasis on keeping the players on, to the venue, they are paying customers.
The other on duty ref was an elderly man, who was so old no player was going to embarrass themselves by starting on.

you certainly dont take your, circumventing the lotg mindset into the cage!

the money was always decent for a few hours reffing (i did plenty of 5/6/7 a side) and while it's decent for developing some good reffing skills (communication being top of the list) i dont think it was ever worth the hassle / aggro and wouldnt do it again unless i seriously needed the cash

Aware of that @PinnerPaul seems interesting how they've hyped up the whole Clattenburg being their Head of Refereeing and what they are statingon their site below.

It's either that they've made a big effort to clean up the brand since maybe some of the posters on here did it and really do what they say OR it's slideware that bears no resemblance to what actually goes on.

I did this 7 years ago for about a month when I was new and super keen to referee. Sent a player off for throwing a punch and refused to give his name. Back playing next week because (at the time) the company didn’t sign players on. Never again

I see a whole load of "I did this a few years ago and never again"

Just wondering if anyone has actually done games for them in the past 6-9 months and if so what their experience has been?

Back