A&H

Leicester vs Everton

of course you should play to the whistle

but putting the flag up while the ball is in play and playing on is just awful practice and will result in huge controversy when (as @Ben448844 suggests, not if) a goal is scored after the defending team see the flag.

it's so so so so simple to solve, just delay the flag until the goal is scored. sort it the f**k out

The Referee Store
It doesn't matter where they've played.
This is basic sport, not limited to football, that any professional athlete should already have it drilled into them by years of training and experience: play to the whistle.

Of course, but at the professional level, players have always stopped when the flag goes up because it's never overuled. I can just see there being a big controversy over a goal because of how we do VAR offsides here and it's so avoidable

It's inevitable that one day the offside flag will go up and the keeper will stop playing, a goal will be scored and VAR will award the goal. I know they've all been told about the new protocol but in the heat of the moment a keeper could easily forget, or it could be a keeper that's just come from outside the PL etc.
It doesn't matter whether they've been told about the protocol or not, no player should ever stop for a flag - as I mentioned, it's an age-old principle that even schoolboys know about.

We've had numerous discussions before about AR's incorrectly flagging for offside and almost every time, as far as I can recall, it has been pointed out that players should always play to the whistle.

Of course, but at the professional level, players have always stopped when the flag goes up because it's never overuled.
No, they haven't always done that. In fact, this incident is a good example, as they didn't stop - they kept playing, exactly as they should have done and as all others should do.

Reactions: Nij
Forget age old principles that schoolboys are taught. Flag up in the pro game [significantly before a goal is scored], bye bye match control

Reactions: es1
No, they haven't always done that. In fact, this incident is a good example, as they didn't stop - they kept playing, exactly as they should have done and as all others should do.

Attackers often stop when they see the flag go up and always have. We shouldn't create situations where confusion could happen when there's a perfectly good protocol being used elsewhere. Why we have engineered our own VAR protocol is beyond me.

I may be slightly biased (and I was at the game) - I really dont think Chilwell dived. He took evasive action to avoid being wiped out by the defender. If you have played or watched footy, you will find that a lot of players jump out of a 50/50 to avoid the risk of getting severely hurt.

What incensed me the most about this situation was the sheer amount of time it took VAR to review the incident. I counted around 2-3 minutes to get to the decision and bizarrely there was only 2 minutes added on at the end of the half for stoppages. I also thought the ref missed at least 2 foul throw ins and let Everton get away with blatant time wasting.

It's inevitable that one day the offside flag will go up and the keeper will stop playing, a goal will be scored and VAR will award the goal. I know they've all been told about the new protocol but in the heat of the moment a keeper could easily forget, or it could be a keeper that's just come from outside the PL etc.

Quite possibly they will. And it will be entirely their fault, just as if they forget who they're meant to be marking at a corner or whatever.

All players were told before the start of the season to play to the whistle for offside (although of course they should anyway - even before VAR there were occasions where a referee would wave the flag down, because, for instance, a defender played the ball rather than an attacker) and the PGMO clearly stated this would happen in the summer.

I don't really know why it's still a surprise four months into the season.

I may be slightly biased (and I was at the game) - I really dont think Chilwell dived. He took evasive action to avoid being wiped out by the defender. If you have played or watched footy, you will find that a lot of players jump out of a 50/50 to avoid the risk of getting severely hurt.

What incensed me the most about this situation was the sheer amount of time it took VAR to review the incident. I counted around 2-3 minutes to get to the decision and bizarrely there was only 2 minutes added on at the end of the half for stoppages. I also thought the ref missed at least 2 foul throw ins and let Everton get away with blatant time wasting.
You may not be aware as you were there live but they actually reviewed 2 incidents. 1) Chilwell to confirm the absence of contact 2) the unorthodox tackle moments earlier on vardy

You may not be aware as you were there live but they actually reviewed 2 incidents. 1) Chilwell to confirm the absence of contact 2) the unorthodox tackle moments earlier on vardy

Thanks for that, I thought that may have been the case, but even still it shouldn't take that long and we certainly should have had more time added on for stoppages at the end of the half!

I don't buy that we should make allowances for players stopping when they see an assistant's flag. After all, the referee could rule that the flag was incorrect, for example a defender player had played the ball.

We have to be aware of player's mentality. They are a primitive species. They don't think or behave like rational beings. As a pack (or occasionally as desperate individuals), they'll prey on wounded match officials. For trivial reasons we're only beginning to understand, even fit & healthy referees can end up as bate. To survive, an apex whistle-blower will resist dangerous thoughts like, 'play to the whistle'; instead reducing themselves to 'one of them' for periods of the game. Surviving alpha-R's may be chucked in the melting pot by idiotic AR's (and to an increasing extent VAR's), at any time.
It is a secret that these cretins (players) are inferior to us learned referees

Last edited:
It's (almost) just happened in the sheff utd v Newcastle game.

Carrol flagged offside for the initial flick on, shelvey runs through, defenders stop, rolls it in. VAR gives the goal.

I say almost as we're not sure what might have happened flag and defender reaction wise if the offside had been from the flick rather than the initial pass (if you catch my drift).

I feel for top flight ARs
They must know that VAR is a disaster for their future. Some of them are clinging to offside duties with their fingernails...
Not to be deterred following the calamitous goal, the AR did the same thing again 10 minutes later when wrongly flagging Almiron off 😮
Crash helmets on, waiting for @Sheffields Finest to check in 🤣

Last edited:
Well, that’s 3 at least this season that’s gone against us! In the stadium we thought he was booking Shelvey for time wasting, Everybody stopped including the striker and goalkeeper!
Atwell was £&@#% tonight, as usual, I was a better referee than him! As for the Lino? Give me strength! It didn’t change the overall result but it sucked the life out of a football game! Well done Geordies, they parked a bus and were overrun most of the game. Cruel result but that’s the Prem and this sh1te we call progress!

Well, that’s 3 at least this season that’s gone against us! In the stadium we thought he was booking Shelvey for time wasting, Everybody stopped including the striker and goalkeeper!
Atwell was £&@#% tonight, as usual, I was a better referee than him! As for the Lino? Give me strength! It didn’t change the overall result but it sucked the life out of a football game! Well done Geordies, they parked a bus and were overrun most of the game. Cruel result but that’s the Prem and this sh1te we call progress!
We played like we did at Villa in the first half and were blessed to still be in the game. Better in the second period, bit more of the ball. Then the goal. Like being floored by Mike Tyson. No coming back from that
Atwell was ordinary, but his AR was extraordinary :oops: . Five minutes earlier, he's flagged for a Mags throw deep in the other half, with Atwell rightly indicating Blades' direction. Like I say, Almiron was onside when the flag went up again, just minutes after the headline act.... The game beggars belief. It look's like the PGMOL are giving VAR a kicking... whilst its already bleeding in the gutter. Unfortunately, I can only see it continue haemorrhage, as it ain't going anywhere :meh:

Not sure what the possession and shot count was but the keeper was MOM by a mile. Someone predicted this happening the other week on here and now it has! It was technically onside, I can't argue, but everyone saw the flag, saw the ref put the whistle to his mouth then play on, no way, he knew that was on! Car crash referee every time I see him, can't believe he's anywhere near the Prem!! As for the Lino, he needs to come on here and scrub up his law analysis!!!

Back