A&H

Leicester vs Everton

The Referee Store
I was more surprised we went dropped ball and not IDFK for PIADM. The way the Everton player went to smash the ball, Chilwell beat him to it, if he doesn't take the evasive action he is in a world of pain. No way was that a dive.

So he should have stayed in the way of the defender and risked a broken leg? Because the force of the attempted kick from the Everton player could have done just that had the evasive action not been taken.

I get that we won't agree and far from flogging a dead horse will leave this as my closing statement....

Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the
ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes
preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

I dont see how this can be simulation. He hasn't simulated a foul. If he doesn't move out of the way he gets walloped as he wins the ball well before the everton player swipes at it.

I get that we won't agree and far from flogging a dead horse will leave this as my closing statement....

Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the
ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes
preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

I dont see how this can be simulation. He hasn't simulated a foul. If he doesn't move out of the way he gets walloped as he wins the ball well before the everton player swipes at it.
You don't have to swan dive to the floor to avoid contact, a simple jump will do.

You don't have to swan dive to the floor to avoid contact, a simple jump will do.
You also have a right to play without fear of injury.
Even if you think it is simulation... Order of offences and all that ;)

Biased (but correct) opinion- dive. 100%. Went down under no contact. No idea why he wasn’t booked? Seems officials or the authorities just aren’t willing to stamp out cheating, if anything they encourage it. Where’s the retrospective punishments?

VAR got the winner spot on, however, the AR flags immediately. I thought protocol was to delay the flag in order to let VAR sort out if incorrect? Not that I think it mattered in this case as the Everton players carried on IMO but what if they’d seen the flag and stopped?

Biased (but correct) opinion- dive. 100%. Went down under no contact. No idea why he wasn’t booked? Seems officials or the authorities just aren’t willing to stamp out cheating, if anything they encourage it. Where’s the retrospective punishments?

VAR got the winner spot on, however, the AR flags immediately. I thought protocol was to delay the flag in order to let VAR sort out if incorrect? Not that I think it mattered in this case as the Everton players carried on IMO but what if they’d seen the flag and stopped?
Yeah he shouldn’t have flagged. He should have waited for the goal and stood surely..,

Yeah he shouldn’t have flagged. He should have waited for the goal and stood surely..,

That is clearly the practice everywhere else in the world. My impression is that that the PL isn't giving that instruction, but instead telling the ARs to flag normally and the R to delay the whistle if it is close and might warrant a VAR review. (Hmm. Is this because they are trying to torpedo VAR and don't want the ARs to waste time getting into a new habit that they will then have to unlearn? Conspiracy theorists want to know!)

The AR must have been confident this was offside. He may have been conflicted between his own self-interest (scoring well for a KMI) and the interests of the VAR protocol. Either way, I wouldn't be happy as a top-flight GK, distracted by a flag in the corner of my eye. Seeing an AR flagging whilst frantically crabbing is just another worm in the VAR can of many other worms

That is clearly the practice everywhere else in the world. My impression is that that the PL isn't giving that instruction, but instead telling the ARs to flag normally and the R to delay the whistle if it is close and might warrant a VAR review. (Hmm. Is this because they are trying to torpedo VAR and don't want the ARs to waste time getting into a new habit that they will then have to unlearn? Conspiracy theorists want to know!)

Not a reliable source! BUT Martin Keown on MOTD2 said that 'Mike Riley' had instructed PL ARs to flag if they think offside even if close. As someone said above he also thought this was a problem waiting to happen if it continues.

Not a dive for me.

In terms of the offside, in UEFA the assistant would have held the flag until the goal was scored. PGMOL have decided to do it differently and have instructed ARs to flag straight away and then referee will delay the whistle if necessary, presumably having been told by the AR over comms that it was tight. Clubs have all been told this and they should ignore the flag and wait for the whistle.

Not that I think it mattered in this case as the Everton players carried on IMO but what if they’d seen the flag and stopped?
Then they'd be fools for ignoring the age-old advice that everyone who's ever played the game knows - you play to the whistle (not the flag).

Not a dive for me.

In terms of the offside, in UEFA the assistant would have held the flag until the goal was scored. PGMOL have decided to do it differently and have instructed ARs to flag straight away and then referee will delay the whistle if necessary, presumably having been told by the AR over comms that it was tight. Clubs have all been told this and they should ignore the flag and wait for the whistle.

And if the goal result is another offside a second later the AR is out of position for because he is standing still with his flag up?

Yeah that would go to VAR as well but what if videos are inconclusive?

It's inevitable that one day the offside flag will go up and the keeper will stop playing, a goal will be scored and VAR will award the goal. I know they've all been told about the new protocol but in the heat of the moment a keeper could easily forget, or it could be a keeper that's just come from outside the PL etc.

It's inevitable that one day the offside flag will go up and the keeper will stop playing, a goal will be scored and VAR will award the goal. I know they've all been told about the new protocol but in the heat of the moment a keeper could easily forget, or it could be a keeper that's just come from outside the PL etc.
It doesn't matter where they've played.
This is basic sport, not limited to football, that any professional athlete should already have it drilled into them by years of training and experience: play to the whistle.

Back