A&H

Leeds vs Arsenal: a lot to unpack here

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I'm guessing most people here won't have seen the game yet, but you'll want to record MOTD. All sorts of officiating questions.

Penalty given against Arsenal after a VAR check for handball. (Nailed on HB.) But was an offside missed in the buildup? Does VAR check for offsides in the buildup to a penalty decision given by VAR?

Red card to Gabriel and penalty to Leeds both overturned after a VAR review. Did they get that right? My view is that the red card should have stood for the retaliation but Gabriel was fouled first.

Also, the match was suspended for ages because of a power problem that affected officials comms and VAR cameras.

The Referee Store
I saw most of the 2nd half and OMG.

The last incident. I don’t know if Bsmford or Gabriel got the yellow. I feel for the AR. The ref has gone to him as it was off the ball. The AR has advised red and pen. TBH VAR is right to reverse as it has to be a foul by Bamford first. But then the red should have stayed IMHO plus yellow for Bamford.

The handball penalty was so blatant. Would hope the same AR would have seen it. Saliba got a yellow but I could understand red. Without Saliba in the picture, it’s a one on one 8m out. They are only considerations…

And yes, replays showed offside in the build up but VAR can’t go back there…

The last incident. I don’t know if Bsmford or Gabriel got the yellow. I feel for the AR. The ref has gone to him as it was off the ball. The AR has advised red and pen. TBH VAR is right to reverse as it has to be a foul by Bamford first. But then the red should have stayed IMHO plus yellow for Bamford.

The handball penalty was so blatant. Would hope the same AR would have seen it. Saliba got a yellow but I could understand red. Without Saliba in the picture, it’s a one on one 8m out. They are only considerations…

Agree with all of this.

Alternative view... Could also argue no penalty. Leeds player pulled Saliba slightly, so his hand wouldn't have been there otherwise/his hand is there to balance the pull.

But yeah, penalty, no one is complaining about that.

Good officiating overall, good job VAR was switched on in the end!

On the VAR note... Could they have played without VAR/goal line technology? Or is it a rule that it has to go ahead with the technology in place?

I was at the game, albeit 75 yards from the end of the ground where the incidents occurred and in an elevated position. This is my take.

It was a localised power cut which cause the issues taking VAR and GLT offline. It affected homes up to 2 miles away.

Kavanagh was unsighted for the handball (giving generous BOTD here) leading to the first penalty.

Bamford clearly pushed the defender in the build up to the second penalty decision soa defensive free kick was the correct decision. It's been a little while since I picked up a copy of the LotG BUT an offence involving excessive use of force when not challenging for the ball is VC. If play had been stopped and VC occurred, then a dismissal should follow. Using one or both feet to kick upwards at an opponent's chest cannot be regarded as a challenge for the ball. Therefore the action was VC and the dismissal should not have been over ruled after review by VAR.

As for the rest of the game, Rodrigo should never play for Leeds again. Arsenal are an industrious team but really should not be pushing for the title this season. They have their goalkeeper to thank for keeping a match rusty Bamford at bay.

Alternative view... Could also argue no penalty. Leeds player pulled Saliba slightly, so his hand wouldn't have been there otherwise/his hand is there to balance the pull.

But yeah, penalty, no one is complaining about that.

Good officiating overall, good job VAR was switched on in the end!

On the VAR note... Could they have played without VAR/goal line technology? Or is it a rule that it has to go ahead with the technology in place?
Disagree on the good officiating, I thought Kavanagh looked lacking in control and anticipation, as he has in other games in which I have watched him live.

A discussion on whether to play without VAR was taking place when the link was re established. This situation is probably covered in competition rules.

Bamford clearly pushed the defender in the build up to the second penalty decision soa defensive free kick was the correct decision. It's been a little while since I picked up a copy of the LotG BUT an offence involving excessive use of force when not challenging for the ball is VC
He certainly was trying to get to the ball but his path was blocked. No question of violent conduct for me

Having now seen it again I'm baffled as to why VAR didn't call the offside in the buildup to the pen?

Arsenal fan mode on: We have been incredibly lucky the last two games. Two big decisions went our way vs Liverpool and Leeds deserved at least a point yesterday. I have no idea how we're 4 points clear at the top.

Disagree on the good officiating, I thought Kavanagh looked lacking in control and anticipation, as he has in other games in which I have watched him live.

A discussion on whether to play without VAR was taking place when the link was re established. This situation is probably covered in competition rules.
This is a shame. Prior to his injury and last season especially when he done alot of games with Sian Massey-Ellis, I always rated him as one of the tops.

Doesn't seem to be the case anymore

Back