A&H

Leeds v Villa

Just don't stop the game. Physio comes on, in play. If a serious injury he alerts referee. If game stopped player either has to wait x amount of time or cannot return.
That might work in rugby, Aussie Rules etc, where the ball is hardly ever played along the ground (and if it is, it would not follow a straight path anyway) and where a player running with the ball has it in his hands and can fairly easily navigate around an obstacle. As far as I'm concerned it won't work in football where the ball is passed along the ground the majority of the time and where a player running with the ball cannot easily manoeuvre around the kind of obstacle posed by a player and the person (or people) attending to the injury.

Given the way football is played (as distinct from the way rugby etc, are played) I think there's just too much risk of an adverse impact on play if players are treated on the field.

The Referee Store
That might work in rugby, Aussie Rules etc, where the ball is hardly ever played along the ground (and if it is, it would not follow a straight path anyway) and where a player running with the ball has it in his hands and can fairly easily navigate around an obstacle. As far as I'm concerned it won't work in football where the ball is passed along the ground the majority of the time and where a player running with the ball cannot easily manoeuvre around the kind of obstacle posed by a player and the person (or people) attending to the injury.

Given the way football is played (as distinct from the way rugby etc, are played) I think there's just too much risk of an adverse impact on play if players are treated on the field.
Yeh I agree tbh. But the current system is routinely abused at all levels of the game so I was just chucking a suggestion out there.
Although, for debate purposes, is it not much the same as now if a player is left rolling around on the ground. Yes the obstacle is bigger with 2 people and a bag but a player lay on the floor poses a similar risk does he not?

I don’t blame the ref whatsoever. Not a head injury and not a foul. Imo, Villa should’ve played until the whistle and moaned after

Not a 'serious injury' I hope you meant. This 'head injury' malarkey is a common fallacy and often results in players holding their heads in the mistaken belief it will get the game stopped 'automatically'

Not a fan of Smith’s comments after; saying that refs need to do more to protect ‘these sort of talents’... not sure what he’s suggesting, sending off a player for a reckless tackle just because it’s a star man? Also, if he’s so worried about Grealish getting injured, he should force him to wear shin pads that aren’t made for children

Smith came out with the same guff when QPR played them. Moaned about Grealish being 'targeted' when it turns out despite Villa/Grealish having more possession the QPR player - Ebere Eze, was in fact fouled more often!

Not a 'serious injury' I hope you meant. This 'head injury' malarkey is a common fallacy and often results in players holding their heads in the mistaken belief it will get the game stopped 'automatically'
Yeah, of course, just the phrase I hear most often.

Smith came out with the same guff when QPR played them. Moaned about Grealish being 'targeted' when it turns out despite Villa/Grealish having more possession the QPR player - Ebere Eze, was in fact fouled more often!
If you see some of the 'fouls' on Grealish, it's easy to see why he's been 'fouled' so many times. He throws himself to the ground at the slightest of contact and always seems to get the free kick because he expects it. I think my favourite was when a player threw himself to the ground by the corner with the defender behind him, expecting the free kick. Darren Cann correctly flagged the other way for a dive and his reaction was priceless. Didn't get booked for a dive unfortunately though

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-news/24931/statement-from-leeds-united

What a load of old tosh. Truly embarrassing... banned....should have doubled it for wasting time - next
What on earth has Bielsa's 'act of sportsmanship' got to do with it? That's like a burglar's lawyer saying to a judge, "Yes your honour, my client did steal from this man's house, but he should get a reduced sentence because his employer did something nice for the householder later on."

Last edited:
Would a player who stays down injured for 30 seconds or longer having to leave the FOP for at least 5 minutes work?

Genuine minor injuries will need roughly that amount of time to be sorted, major injuries is self explanatory, and fake injuries are obviously their own fault for play acting.

Discuss.

Amounts of times can be changed, they are guidelines. Essentially sin bin for injury.
If it requires stoppage of play and is not a foul by the opponent, or requires any entry to the field by sideline/team personnel, cannot return for two minutes from the moment they leave the field, without replacement unless substituted.
Player may return immediately, at halfway, when 2 minutes end (no need for next stoppage).
Basically, if you need treatment, then do it properly, meanwhile the game shouldn't be stopped longer than is necessary.

There was one at the weekend that is probably on here in League One or Two; keeper was injured and went to throw it out of play, but the attacker latched onto it and chipped him... not seen much about that. Bielsa said that he's going to speak with the officials, Derby's managerial staff and their captain to not kick the ball out when a Leeds player is down and vice versa to avoid another farcical incident

There was one at the weekend that is probably on here in League One or Two; keeper was injured and went to throw it out of play, but the attacker latched onto it and chipped him... not seen much about that. Bielsa said that he's going to speak with the officials, Derby's managerial staff and their captain to not kick the ball out when a Leeds player is down and vice versa to avoid another farcical incident

I went to that game and put a post on here about it. It's different circumstances and in theory, neither the Leeds or Scunthorpe players were at fault when playing on. However, my gripe would be that Klich 'played' the Villa players by making it look like he was going to kick it out, and then playing on. There would have been less said about the Scunthorpe incident though as ultimately, it didn't make a difference to the end result and Leeds/Villa are huge clubs in the public eye.

I went to that game and put a post on here about it. It's different circumstances and in theory, neither the Leeds or Scunthorpe players were at fault when playing on. However, my gripe would be that Klich 'played' the Villa players by making it look like he was going to kick it out, and then playing on. There would have been less said about the Scunthorpe incident though as ultimately, it didn't make a difference to the end result and Leeds/Villa are huge clubs in the public eye.
True. Do you think the ref could've done himself and everyone else the favour by blowing up for the injured keeper?

True. Do you think the ref could've done himself and everyone else the favour by blowing up for the injured keeper?
I do, yes. But hindsight is a wonderful thing haha. It's almost unheard of that an attacking player would try and keep that ball in, nobody in the stadium expected him to do so, majority of the Scunthorpe players even turned around and starting walking back to half way as the keeper threw the ball out as well. It was just one of those moments where it was a 'needs must' situation to get the win.

Back