A&H

Leaving the FOP without permission

Darius

RefChat Addict
So after my game this morning while I was waiting for Match Fee I got talking to a player who was dismissed for 2 cautions on a different pitch.

The first was for dissent for 'talking to himself' so I told him that it's still dissent and he accepted that.

Second was for leaving FOP, he was being subbed and went off without ref knowing.

Now, regardless of common sense that could have been shown here (IMO) if the player is cautioned for that he's still considered part of the onfield 11 isn't he?

So the referee then allowing the team to continue with 11 is incorrect in law.....am I correct?

Not criticising the referee, just want to know if my knowledge of the laws is correct?

The Referee Store
Assume that the replacement was also cautioned for entering FOP without permission, otherwise they would have been down to 10 as he left and not replaced?

So at that point they have swapped, he is off and already been replaced. caution both. one going off is his second so sent from the bench, other is his first as he goes on. So continue with 11.

Or not.....

The substitution 'occurs' when the process has been completed according to law. A 'substitution' without the referee's prior approval has not actually occurred. Caution both players and the one who came on needs to leave the field before returning. As the player leaving is receiving a second caution then that player cannot come on the field. They do play a man down.

Yes totally agree should be down to 10 ......but....... down the park in division 3 on a Sunday Morning I think a quiet word with the manager should be sufficient .....Common Sense......... as said above

Had a situation related to this Sunday, but a slight variation.

Half time comes and the teams group together for their half time team talk.

I am the other side of the pitch where my drink is strategically placed well away from the players.

The players come back, I count, we kick off.

About 2 minutes into the second half ball goes out for a throw by the home coach.

He shouts 'by the way ref, we made a sub at half time'.

I stop the retake, shout across the player who came on, told him firmly that he should have told me. Check his name, he's on the list before kick off, allow him to continue. He told me the coach said he would tell me he was coming on.

I speak to the coach and tell him I should have been told prior to him coming on. He was apologetic and explained it was a last minute thing. He also confirmed he told the player he would inform me of the substitution. I do believe it was a genuine error.

I allowed play to continue with no cautions, just stern words (sorry Padfoot).

Question though - as this was half time the player who was substituted did have permission to leave the FOP. Did he still commit an offence?

Obviously I know the player coming on should have been cautioned (sorry again Padfoot).

Thoughts?

He had permission to leave the field of play at halftime so he hasn't committed a cautionable offence. Always ask both teams whether they've made a substitution.

The player coming on has committed an offence (though particularly at lower grades I think you took the right approach. Should always ask.). Questionable whether the player coming off has....I'd probably argue not.

So after my game this morning while I was waiting for Match Fee I got talking to a player who was dismissed for 2 cautions on a different pitch.

The first was for dissent for 'talking to himself' so I told him that it's still dissent and he accepted that.

Second was for leaving FOP, he was being subbed and went off without ref knowing.

Now, regardless of common sense that could have been shown here (IMO) if the player is cautioned for that he's still considered part of the onfield 11 isn't he?

So the referee then allowing the team to continue with 11 is incorrect in law.....am I correct?

Not criticising the referee, just want to know if my knowledge of the laws is correct?

law 3, makes it clear he has to get a signal from the referee that he can leave, hence the need to firstly inform the referee that they wish to make a substitution. Sub replacing him should have been cautioned (entering without permission) and removed and not allowed to replace the player now considered to be s/o (taking into account he the now s/o player may have gone to the dressing rooms before the referee noticed) The sub could however later replace another of his team mates, provided that the substitution procedure is followed correctly then at that time.

Yes, should only have had 10 players at the restart

Back