A&H

Learning to keep me gob shut!

About 25 minutes into the first half the ball went out for a throw and this linesman was flagging at me. So i held up play went over to him and he said that the defender(cant remember number) had called him a cheating c***. Unfortunatly he was already on a YC so now he had pretty red to go with it and off to the land of teletubbies he went.

You went on the word of a CAR by the way I read that...?!:confused:

The Referee Store
Not exactly, i did see the player gobbing off at him but didnt hear what he said, but when i pulled the player up and said i am cautioning you for swearing at my linesman he just shrugged his shoulders.... so no doubt about it there. He was a qualified referee so why should i doubt him

Hants doesn't believe that he was a qualified ref. Some habits are hard to break ;)

Hants doesn't believe that he was a qualified ref. Some habits are hard to break ;)
Ah Haywain you read me too well...;)

In all seriousness, I wouldn't care if he was my best mate (who I knew was qualified, I hasten to add!) and had no connection whatsoever to either side (perhaps just turned up for experience as it sounds with this guy)...there is no way I am taking his word...OK the player can't appeal a caution/S7 but that could spark further misconduct (which he could appeal) and leaves you in a very precarious position if you've taken the word of a CAR IMO. Unless they are an appointed NAR, I will only deal with what I hear/see-(gestures) irrelevant of their 'qualification' (supposed or indeed confirmed).

@mikedn...should have added...if you have seen him 'gob off' this is probably a fairly easy sell for a C2 and therefore nothing wrong...what I would advise against is where you have not witnessed anything and merely go off the word of a CAR.

Last edited:
You went on the word of a CAR by the way I read that...?!:confused:
+1 . Certainly it's cause to have a VERY strong word with the player concerned, advising of the consequences IF you hear anything like that ... but a red on the advice of a CAR is always a no no for me.

+1 . Certainly it's cause to have a VERY strong word with the player concerned, advising of the consequences IF you hear anything like that ... but a red on the advice of a CAR is always a no no for me.

how are you justifying having 'a VERY strong word with the player concerned' when you're not even accepting that the player said anything untoward. Surely just 'a polite / quiet word' should suffice on such occasions

....and then keeping a trailing eye / ear out for the afters that may or may not follow

@haywain, because I'm accepting the possibility (or even the probability depending on my opinion of my CAR) that the player did in fact say those words and therefore want to point out very clearly to him the unacceptability of that. Hence the 'strength' of the message.

But for clarity, it would definitely be a polite word (hey, when wouldn't it?!) and how public / private it would be, would probably depend on the quantity of players who also had the opportunity to overhear the alleged comment

....and if the player tells you that it was actually the car that gave him a mouthful......and then one of his team-mates backs him up

@haywain...deal with it in the same way...? I haven't heard it but should I hear anything further of the sorts I will have to replace you...reports etc?

Couldn't agree more, hants....and much better than leaving Russell...and possibly some others thinking that 'a VERY strong word' was neccessarily the way forward in such a scenario

Perhaps an exaggeration with "very"...nothing wrong with a stern warning of the consequences should it be heard however (if needed to both player and CAR)?

Perhaps an exaggeration with "very"...nothing wrong with a stern warning of the consequences should it be heard however (if needed to both player and CAR)?
Ok. happy days. Sounds like we're all agreed that a clear word with strong warning about the possible consequences is an appropriate response.:)

Obviously also important to reinforce to any qualified ref acting as a CAR (in the pre match) that regrettably their word won't be trusted in the same way as if they were a NAR

Ooooh.....doing so well, Russell, and then you used the word 'trusted' and questioned the integrity of a qualified ref (remember...qualified refs never cheat) ;)

@haywain...I am never quite sure of your sincerity/sarcasm in your posts it must be said...although they do give a good chuckle and I am sure if you use the dry sense of humour on the pitch, it goes a long way;):D

Back