A&H

Learning to keep me gob shut!

svenny76

RefChat Addict
So Tuesday night I was on a supply league line.
88th min away team left back clearly kicks the ball out for a corner, so I naturally flag for a corner. Simple yeah?
Apparently not, left back comes running over to me tells me to fu** off four times with another choice word or two, were all being assessed, so put my right hand out to keep him at arms length, a very loudly shout "shut up 3 and go away PLEASE"

Que him abuse me even further for not speaking to him with respect!!!
WTAF!!!
Must have been shouting at me for 45 seconds and joined by the captain, who then bleats on about how I can't speak to players in that way. Final whistle goes I'm then surrounded by the 2 of them again shouting at me, so I firmly say to them to go away.

I'm then given a bollocking by the referee for entering into an argument with them, I merely said to them that respect is a 2 way thing and that I hadn't sworn at either player and was told to fu** off 4 times.

Pre match brief was, not interested in foul throws, pen retakes or any comments towards you by players, hence the reason I never got the ref involved.

This is probably the 2-3 rd time I've had this sort of pre match from a L4 ref (all of whom have been aged 20-22) us this a new thing they are teaching L4's?

In future I think I'll start ignoring some of these pre match instructions.

The Referee Store
So if a player called you a 'cheating c**t' the ref wouldn't be interested?

Don't forget, these are the rising stars of our fraternity........God help us.

i guess you could have queried the referee's pre-match instruction by using padders example or similar.......or has the assessment...sorry, the cat, got your tongue

Last edited:
Didn't even cross my mind if I'm completely honest, and the left back was one F word away from me sticking my flag up regardless of what the pre match was. And he would have had feedback with the assessor.

As for my assessment I couldn't have cared less, as a L7 it's pointless anyway.

My assessment was full of praise, with what was described as "I'm sorry! but I have no development for you" at the bottom if the report, so must have got a 100 right ? No, 74, as I said, pointless.

But I do enjoy AR'ing at that standard.

What a disgraceful comment from the referee.

But I guess you've learned a lesson with your comment as well - we need to make sure we're completely above reproach, which beings being careful of any comments which could potentially be disrespectful. Of course the logic behind the response of the player and team is absolutely ludicrous.

Glad to hear the referee took care of the situation by coming over to you and carding those involved /sarcasm.

Hopefully the referee's lack of control will reflect poorly on his assessment. Though it'll probably just be considerd a positive for ensuring he kept out of the picture and didn't draw attention to himself.

I've read numerous comments on other posts around the respect and dissent, but I must admit I've done 7 of these games and all of the referees seem to just accept the abuse, I've only worked with new L4's and they've all been late teens early 20's (I personally don't care how old) so I don't know if this is a generally accepted level of tolerance or it's because they don't have the confidence to deal with it, I'm guessing the former as the higher you go the more acceptance there is.
I think I'd make a **** L4 as I wouldn't put up with any of it, but that's just me.

That's pretty disgusting. Glad I have never come across this kind of tosser ref.

Next time, sod 'im stick the flag up.

If that's the way he thinks he has to do it then good luck to the kid each to there own, but 100% next time the flag is going up regardless.

So Tuesday night I was on a supply league line.
88th min away team left back clearly kicks the ball out for a corner, so I naturally flag for a corner. Simple yeah?
Apparently not, left back comes running over to me tells me to fu** off four times with another choice word or two, were all being assessed, so put my right hand out to keep him at arms length, a very loudly shout "shut up 3 and go away PLEASE"

Que him abuse me even further for not speaking to him with respect!!!
WTAF!!!
Must have been shouting at me for 45 seconds and joined by the captain, who then bleats on about how I can't speak to players in that way. Final whistle goes I'm then surrounded by the 2 of them again shouting at me, so I firmly say to them to go away.

I'm then given a bollocking by the referee for entering into an argument with them, I merely said to them that respect is a 2 way thing and that I hadn't sworn at either player and was told to fu** off 4 times.

Pre match brief was, not interested in foul throws, pen retakes or any comments towards you by players, hence the reason I never got the ref involved.

This is probably the 2-3 rd time I've had this sort of pre match from a L4 ref (all of whom have been aged 20-22) us this a new thing they are teaching L4's?

In future I think I'll start ignoring some of these pre match instructions.
What did the assessor say in the de-brief about the incident?

Sat in the stands 5 rows up 75 yards away. Praises all round for talking to the players. I wasn't gonna drop the ref in the sh1t in the de-brief.

Never crossed your mind again, I guess :confused:

Thanks for releasing this guy on next week's NAR

Suppose there was 4 options
1, Stand there and take it
2. Ignore the request of the referee and put my flag up (heindsite this is what i should have done)
3. do what i did and tell them to shut up and go away (at the time i thought was the best option)
4. mirror the players attitude (which i would never do).

oh to be perfect like everyone else hey!
Oh well, looking forward to tomorrow's fixture, senior county league game (only L5's get these in my county) so over the moon to be given one, 3rd v 4th

Reactions: SM
The assessor presumably heard the "advice" in the prematch brief and by the sounds of it he didn't query it?
Svenny I'd suggest not using the words "shut-up" to a player, it'll sometimes inflame the situation. Stick your hand up and tell him to go "Go away please player", the tone is more important. The exact words really only matter when you give them something to take offence at.

I've read numerous comments on other posts around the respect and dissent, but I must admit I've done 7 of these games and all of the referees seem to just accept the abuse, I've only worked with new L4's and they've all been late teens early 20's (I personally don't care how old) so I don't know if this is a generally accepted level of tolerance or it's because they don't have the confidence to deal with it, I'm guessing the former as the higher you go the more acceptance there is.
I think I'd make a **** L4 as I wouldn't put up with any of it, but that's just me.

It's because they are conditioned to accept the abuse otherwise they will be very quickly back to a level 5...... And certainly will never progress any further if they did stupid things like taking a firm stance on dissent or OFFINABUS.

Any body ever see the video presentation 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' at RA conference a few yrs back?

Done a mens match once, home manager said to me "Our linesman has just qualified as a ref, is it ok if he runs the line?"( he was in full ref kit about 16 years old) I said "No problem but for this match he is a club linesman because the other linesman is not a qualified ref " He then said could i keep an eye on him as its his first match, i replied it would be difficult watching 22 players and a linesman" About 25 minutes into the first half the ball went out for a throw and this linesman was flagging at me. So i held up play went over to him and he said that the defender(cant remember number) had called him a cheating c***. Unfortunatly he was already on a YC so now he had pretty red to go with it and off to the land of teletubbies he went.

Back